Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I am basing on f/1.8 where I have ran into issues. But even my f/2.8 300mm has hit 1/6000 at ISO 100. But regardless I was bringing it up as the only downside I see to the RP.

Who says you can only shoot with the aperture wide open? The poster who began this sub-conversation apparently specializes in macro photography which typically likes to use as narrow an aperture as the light and/or diffraction will allow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
As an aside, consider the speed of the shutter curtain at 1/8000 of a second. The frame is 24mm high (call it 25mm for the edges), and the curtain transitions across is .000125 seconds. That translates into a velocity of 200,000 mm/sec = 200 m/sec = 447 mi/hr. At 1/16000, it would be supersonic. That's impressive engineering.

Impressive usually equals costly. So mirrorless should be less expensive. Perhaps the 5R will be less than the 5D4 at introduction?

Mirrorless cameras such as the EOS R, RP, and R5 still have mechanical shutters.

The shutter curtain transit times for FF cameras in the top classes are around 2.5 milliseconds. It's the difference between the first curtain starting to open and the second curtain starting to close that are only 1/8000 second or 0.125 milliseconds apart. But the distance between the first and second curtain is only a narrow slit about 1.2mm wide as they both transit the sensor.

(The video below is of an APS-C 7D, so the sensor height is only 14.9mm, which makes the slit for 1/8000 with a 2.5ms transit time calculate out to 0.75mm, but the way the two shutter curtains chase each other across the frame at exposure times shorter than X-sync is the same.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
When it comes to my big lens I shoot it wide open because it almost always misses focus when stopped down. On my 50 and 85 these are both 1.8 and I like the look at 1.8. When I tired a 85 1.2 is was to shoot at 1.2, which was a challenge. But aye, I could see the 1/4000 being a issue with the RP, but a ND filter seems to be the answer or 'slow' glass such as f/4.

You do realize AF is done when the lens is wide open and only stops down while the mirror is moving up? That is unless you are shooting in Live View with exposure simulation enabled.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
There's no need for you to take it so personally that the camera you didn't choose for your situation might have an advantage for someone else over the camera you did choose.
By emphasizing “In my experience...” did I not implicitly say that I recognize that everyone has their own needs, YMMV, one size does not fit all?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Who says you can only shoot with the aperture wide open? The poster who began this sub-conversation apparently specializes in macro photography which typically likes to use as narrow an aperture as the light and/or diffraction will allow.

I don't believe anyone said you can only shoot wide open. Though I do have only very old lens that seems to alway miss when stopped down.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

You do realize AF is done when the lens is wide open and only stops down while the mirror is moving up? That is unless you are shooting in Live View with exposure simulation enabled.

Very well aware, but all I can say on this particular lens is it gets a sharp shot at f/2.8 and completely missed at f/5.6. Mirrorless also focus stopped down unless you set it not to preview the exposure at least on the mirrorless I have, switching off this preview makes It focus wide open and only stops down on shutter press.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think the area of NC where I live is in exotic zone where you can’t tell what part is Africa and what is South America, or something like that. Africa is to our east, and mountains from the collision are west of us. I think some of our mountains wound up in Morocco.

Most of the maps I've looked at of Pangaea would place the Moroccan coastal mountains against the area around Newfoundland. What is now coastal Carolina is more aligned with the area around present day Senegal and Guinea which are more geologically like the "low country" of the Carolina coast.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well, I didn't want to imply that the the RF 70-135 f2 image would be "as good" as your EF 135 f2 prime, as I wouldn't have any way to know that either way. :sneaky: But the reason I like zooms is that in addition to moving around, I can vary the zoom to the focal length I like to frame that particular picture. I also use the zoom to cover a wide range of focal distances so that I can leave a single lens on the body and not have to change lenses often, and I often walk around with just one camera and lens.

Zooms certainly have their uses. I use zooms more often than primes. But it is a mistake to assume that an RF 70-135mm f/2 at 135/2 will look the same as an RF 135mm f/1.8 at 135/2. Every lens must be evaluated on the basis of its own design.

I'm not a professional, and I'm not against adding a prime to my zooms. I do consider getting the RF 85mm f1.2 DS (or possibly without DS) to be my "portrait" lens instead of the RF 70-135 f2. If I did that and also got a future RF 135 prime then I would assume I would get far better portraits that way. If I take a camera backpack I could consider that with a second body so I could still minimize lens changes. :sneaky:

My additional question was: if I have the RF 70-135 f2 and RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1, then would there be any major benefit to also getting the RF 70-200 f2.8 or not? I know if I ask 5 people this, I'll probably get 7 different opinions. I'm just trying to decide how best to spend my limited amount of money. :unsure:

My advice would be for you to get neither version of the RF 85mm f/1.2 nor an RF 135mm. If you do, you're going to wind up spending a LOT more money on a bunch of prime lenses than you would spend on a couple of zooms, even if the zooms are more expensive on a per lens basis.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Very well aware, but all I can say on this particular lens is it gets a sharp shot at f/2.8 and completely missed at f/5.6. Mirrorless also focus stopped down unless you set it not to preview the exposure at least on the mirrorless I have, switching off this preview makes It focus wide open and only stops down on shutter press.

++++ Mirrorless also focus stopped down unless you set it not to

A.M.: The Canon EOS R focuses with the aperture wide open;

Most other mirrorless systems operate fully stopped down when focusing.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It sounds like you're from the Piedmont area.

I have ancestors that fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain. Their families had already migrated west over the Blue Ridge mountains by the turn of the 19th century. One of my brothers-in-law spent his high school years in Shelby. His father was an industrial engineer in the textiles industry and they moved around North & South Carolina a lot in the '60s and '70s. I've also got a good childhood friend who married a girl from Gastonia and they've lived there for about the past thirty years after we went to college in Nashville and grad school in Kansas City together. Back in the '90s I worked for a transportation company based in Fletcher, NC about ten miles south of Asheville and travelled extensively all over the Carolinas, but particularly in the areas surrounding Asheville, north and east of Rocky Mount, and Sumter. We also had a large customer base in NW South Carolina in all of those small towns that seemed to have a roller bearing or other kind of fine machining operation, from Cowpens, Fountain Inn, Belton, Honea Path, and Anderson all the way up into the foothills at Easley and Pickens.
Yes, I was born and grew up in Shelby. My father worked in a textile mill. A great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was a colonel at the battle of Kings Mountain. My Lee ancestor fought at Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse. I lived in Kings Mountain 30 years ago. Before I retired, I lived in Cramerton, just east of Gastonia. Except for grad school in Texas, I’ve always lived in Piedmont NC. I now live in Davidson, a small college town just north of Charlotte.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Most of the maps I've looked at of Pangaea would place the Moroccan coastal mountains against the area around Newfoundland. What is now coastal Carolina is more aligned with the area around present day Senegal and Guinea which are more geologically like the "low country" of the Carolina coast.
The mountain chain goes all the way up at least to Maine, so continuing in Morocco seems about right.

Upvote 0
Yes, I was born and grew up in Shelby. My father worked in a textile mill. A great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was a colonel at the battle of Kings Mountain. My Lee ancestor fought at Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse. I lived in Kings Mountain 30 years ago. Before I retired, I lived in Cramerton, just east of Gastonia. Except for grad school in Texas, I’ve always lived in Piedmont NC. I now live in Davidson, a small college town just north of Charlotte.
I'm in N. Ga and can be in NC in less than 5 minutes from where I live now. I've been in Western NC and N GA for 32 years now and this area is truly a nature photographers paradise (and then some!). One doesn't have to go far to capture a majestic landscape image (right out my back door).
I work a lot in the Highlands/Cashiers area but live about 70 miles west from there. Beautiful country!

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
The Appalachians run from Nova Scotia to Alabama. There are rocks in both Scotland and the Lesser Atlas Mountains of Morocco that formed in the same time and place as certain rocks in the Appalachians.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm in N. Ga and can be in NC in less than 5 minutes from where I live now. I've been in Western NC and N GA for 32 years now and this area is truly a nature photographers paradise (and then some!). One doesn't have to go far to capture a majestic landscape image (right out my back door).
I work a lot in the Highlands/Cashiers area but live about 70 miles west from there. Beautiful country!
There are a lot of beautiful waterfalls in the area along US 64 especially.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The Appalachians run from Nova Scotia to Alabama. There are rocks in both Scotland and the Lesser Atlas Mountains of Morocco that formed in the same time and place as certain rocks in the Appalachians.

The chain actually runs up through present day Scotland and into Norway. The Atlantic Rift sliced right through the range.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
When it comes to my big lens I shoot it wide open because it almost always misses focus when stopped down.
I have never seen such a behavior and don't understand how it could be physically possible (as long as we aren't diffraction limited).

If the lens is unsharp wide open, it is possible that some other plane will become more sharp than the prefocused one currently is (or even will become), but it's not like the prefocused plane itself will become less sharp when you close the diaphragm.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I have never seen such a behavior and don't understand how it could be physically possible (as long as we aren't diffraction limited).

If the lens is unsharp wide open, it is possible that some other plane will become more sharp than the prefocused one currently is (or even will become), but it's not like the prefocused plane itself will become less sharp when you close the diaphragm.
Yes it doesn’t make sense, but it is the behaviour I have had with it or at least i put it down to being stopped down. I have since moved to back button AF so I’ll try stopping it down incase it was just alway refocusing. While 30 years old, it is still my favourite lens. Also the behaviour was not present on my 7d, started on my now dead 5dII, and I haven’t dared stop it down on my 90D

Upvote 0