Major Canon announcements coming in June & July [CR3]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] Why do people mention their stuff in their avatar? It is all about "my dick is bigger then yours".
The camera below your avatar is an autogenerated text based on the number of posts you have made. I think it starts with Powershot camera, moves up to EOS M, Rebels and finally FF EOS cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It is my reaction to some sickening reactions on this forum. It is a rich people hobby. Some call themselves pro but they only want to be a pro. And yes even the r5 gives marginal better pictures
It certainly is a hobby to many people. There are plenty of enthusiasts that are just that, enthusiasts. Not pros. You don't need an expensive camera to generate pleasing results and enjoy the process of creating them though. A phone or used ILC will give many people all they may want at a far lower price than what the R5 is expected to cost.

However, there are many aspects beyond the actual result that impact your experience and enjoyment of the hobby. Higher end bodies enhance some of these aspects, and there are people who value these more than others. I personally very much enjoy the better ergonomics and the more reliable AF I obtained by moving from a 600D to an 80D. And there are people who will benefit from the speed, enhanced AF, resolution and video features and potentially the WYSIWYG EVF the R5 will likely bring to the table. That doesn't take away anything from the gear that's already out there. If you are satisfied with the current tech, that should not change just because newer stuff is out there. For certain circumstances, new bodies are advantageous. If you don't find yourself in these circumstances regularly or can't justify the price of a new body for the amount of advantage presented, that's fine.

Going as far as discrediting all new bodies or calling people sickening without specific reference to some objectionable post seems exaggerated to me.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Wait, I thought there was just one announcement a few months ago, the rest is rumours.
I continue to have interest but I must admit that the Christmas has come and gone feeling is real. It's almost like I've owned it and now the glamour has worn off. That's probably a good thing because it helps one focus on the reality of what it offers without the emotions. In other words, I can better articulate to my "boss" what exactly it will bring to my rather expensive hobby. I can't believe how tightly Canon keeps the lid on the leaks.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The XT4 is a $1,700 crop sensor body. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that isn't the market being targeted by the R5. If the XT4 does what you need, then why wait? The R5 will likely be at least twice the price.

Actually, Canon Rumors Guy was telling us it would have a 20mp sensor for quite some time. Many of us didn't believe him, but we can't say it was sprung on us.

You already know that the R5 will be a disappointment and the XT4 has everything you need. Why are you even bothering to post?. Just buy the Fuji and be happy.
The XT4 is a $1,700 crop sensor body. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that isn't the market being targeted by the R5. If the XT4 does what you need, then why wait? The R5 will likely be at least twice the price.

Actually, Canon Rumors Guy was telling us it would have a 20mp sensor for quite some time. Many of us didn't believe him, but we can't say it was sprung on us.

You already know that the R5 will be a disappointment and the XT4 has everything you need. Why are you even bothering to post?. Just buy the Fuji and be happy.
The sensor in the XT4 is roughly the same size and is significantly higher resolution than the sensor in Canon's new $11,000 C300 Mark III. Save the "crop-sensor" jab for people who are impressed by that sort of nonsense. I could say that Fuji's X system, unlike Canon's APS-C "cropped" DSLR's, is built around the X-Trans' sensor dimension and therefore is no more of a "crop" than 35 mm sensors are a "crop" of MF but what's the point.

Edit: The reason why I don't "just buy an XT4" is that I still own $25K in Canon EF glass and I'm hopeful that eventually Canon will release a new camera that will make keeping it seem a little less stupid. I can also say that I know from personal experience that Canon was actively suppressing the 20MP Sensor spec well after the other critical specs were released. I attended a shooting demo of the 1DX Mark III with some Canon ambassadors well into the launch process and was informed that they were specifically told not to discuss the sensor. Our recollections also differ on what info was posted here but memory is funny that way so I couldn't say for sure. I also didn't say that I would be disappointed, I said that the frenzied hype believers will be disappointed and will be crying from one end of this forum the the other a couple of months from now. It will be the 5D Mark IV all over again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Plenty of places you can drive to during the pandemic. There isn't a mandatory do not leave the house order in place for much of the US. If you want to take a drive to a state park, you can.

That really depends on a lot of factors. In some states the gates to state parks are locked. In others the buildings and campgrounds are closed but hikers are allowed. Then there's my friend who lives in Maryland who just had his July camping reservations at a state park in Pennsylvania cancelled. They told him they were now open, but only to Pennsylvania residents. He lives closer to the campground in question than most of the people in Pennsylvania do!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The sensor in the XT4 is roughly the same size and is significantly higher resolution than the sensor in Canon's new $11,000 C300 Mark III. Save the "crop-sensor" jab for people who are impressed by that sort of nonsense. I could say that Fuji's X system, unlike Canon's APS-C "cropped" DSLR's, is built around the X-Trans' sensor dimension and therefore is no more of a "crop" than 35 mm sensors are a "crop" of MF but what's the point.

Edit: The reason why I don't "just buy an XT4" is that I still own $25K in Canon EF glass and I'm hopeful that eventually Canon will release a new camera that will make keeping it seem a little less stupid. I can also say that I know from personal experience that Canon was actively suppressing the 20MP Sensor spec well after the other critical specs were released. I attended a shooting demo of the 1DX Mark III with some Canon ambassadors well into the launch process and was informed that they were specifically told not to discuss the sensor. Our recollections also differ on what info was posted here but memory is funny that way so I couldn't say for sure. I also didn't say that I would be disappointed, I said that the frenzied hype believers will be disappointed and will be crying from one end of this forum the the other a couple of months from now. It will be the 5D Mark IV all over again.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The XT4 is a stills camera that also can record video. The C300Mark III is a video camera. Video doesn't need to be as high resolution as still images for most folks, including professional media creators, planned usage. Each frame of a video doesn't need to be as high quality as a still frame does, either. When the frames are whizzing by on a screen at 24 fps or more your brain fills in all of the gaps and synthesizes the picture you see in your mind. That doesn't happen when we're staring at a still image at pixel peeping enlargement ratios.

Upvote 0
You're comparing apples to oranges. The XT4 is a stills camera that also can record video. The C300Mark III is a video camera. Video doesn't need to be as high resolution as still images for most folks, including professional media creators, planned usage. Each frame of a video doesn't need to be as high quality as a still frame does, either. When the frames are whizzing by on a screen at 24 fps or more your brain fills in all of the gaps and synthesizes the picture you see in your mind. That doesn't happen when we're staring at a still image at pixel peeping enlargement ratios.
Mirrorless cameras are video camcorders that are adapted to be able to shoot stills. They may be dsigned to resemble stills cameras for marketing and usability purposes but they are camcorders nonetheless.

If I just wanted to shoot stills I doubt if I'd ever need to buy another camera. Most of the development that is being done for stills is to make them even more idiot-proof than they are now. It's pretty hard to take a technically poor photo with any camera available today. DR is reaching theoretical limits and AF improvements are mainly targeted at unskilled users. Personally, I've never found that increased MP's really improved my photo's. It's nice to be able to crop a little more but IMO once you crop any photo to a significant degree it's pretty much a lost cause. The shooting experience gets better with every new generation but I think we are approaching peak IQ for interchangeable lens cameras. The real investment capital is going into phones. In contrast, video capture is progressing rapidly and it's the video functionality of the R5 that is most interesting to many of us.

edit: As far as stills go; I think it's obvious to anyone that, the smaller the sensor, the more difficult it is to make large enlargements. I've used cameras from minox minis to graphic arts cameras with imaging areas 500x full frame and it's as close to an unbreakable rule as exists in photgraphy. That being said, in my experience, modern APS-C sized sensor are perfectly capable of delivering high quality results for many purposes. It requires a bit more effort than a "full frame" but it certainly is achievable.

edit 2: Another unbreakable rule could be "The compact camera that I carry with me takes infinitely better pictures than the bulky camera that's sitting on my desk".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It certainly is a hobby to many people. There are plenty of enthusiasts that are just that, enthusiasts. Not pros. You don't need an expensive camera to generate pleasing results and enjoy the process of creating them though. A phone or used ILC will give many people all they may want at a far lower price than what the R5 is expected to cost.

However, there are many aspects beyond the actual result that impact your experience and enjoyment of the hobby. Higher end bodies enhance some of these aspects, and there are people who value these more than others. I personally very much enjoy the better ergonomics and the more reliable AF I obtained by moving from a 600D to an 80D. And there are people who will benefit from the speed, enhanced AF, resolution and video features and potentially the WYSIWYG EVF the R5 will likely bring to the table. That doesn't take away anything from the gear that's already out there. If you are satisfied with the current tech, that should not change just because newer stuff is out there. For certain circumstances, new bodies are advantageous. If you don't find yourself in these circumstances regularly or can't justify the price of a new body for the amount of advantage presented, that's fine.

Going as far as discrediting all new bodies or calling people sickening without specific reference to some objectionable post seems exaggerated to me.

Indeed.

I enjoy this as a hobby (hope to start generating some $$ off it, but not much yet)...and I have disposable income, at least so far.
I have some film cameras that I VERY much enjoy. I have the 5D3...was my very first DSLR...and I bought it for video primarily.

But now I'm very much into stills. I'm enjoying shooting old medium format cameras (Hassy V Series), etc....I'm not the type of person to buy piddly crap all the time, I tend to save my $$ for large purchases. I save and I buy the best I can for whatever I want....cameras included.

I'm saving for the R5. I do shoot concerts (when they start again)...and I do enjoy creating with it, with different aspects of digital photography...macro, focus stacking....composite imaging, etc.

I don't buy cameras or cars or really anything to 'brag' about...I research what I want and buy the best I can afford for that particular tool.

Over the years I have amassed a great deal of equipment...much of it is $$....but I saved and bought.

I almost NEVER buy anything I cannot pay right then and there with cash....I do, however, put that cash in savings if I have a X Months no interest financing thing. and I do pay that way...but again, I have the cash to back it up....I do not go into CC debt for things like this.

So, yes...some people can afford bit more than others. That's just the way of the world. There are TONs of people I now with vastly greater amounts of disposable income, but it doesn't bother me. It should bother anyone.

Just do what you can, do what makes YOU happy, and live and let live.

I don't know what the "sickening" comment that person made was all about either.

C

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Indeed.

I enjoy this as a hobby (hope to start generating some $$ off it, but not much yet)...and I have disposable income, at least so far.
I have some film cameras that I VERY much enjoy. I have the 5D3...was my very first DSLR...and I bought it for video primarily.

But now I'm very much into stills. I'm enjoying shooting old medium format cameras (Hassy V Series), etc....I'm not the type of person to buy piddly crap all the time, I tend to save my $$ for large purchases. I save and I buy the best I can for whatever I want....cameras included.

I'm saving for the R5. I do shoot concerts (when they start again)...and I do enjoy creating with it, with different aspects of digital photography...macro, focus stacking....composite imaging, etc.

I don't buy cameras or cars or really anything to 'brag' about...I research what I want and buy the best I can afford for that particular tool.

Over the years I have amassed a great deal of equipment...much of it is $$....but I saved and bought.

I almost NEVER buy anything I cannot pay right then and there with cash....I do, however, put that cash in savings if I have a X Months no interest financing thing. and I do pay that way...but again, I have the cash to back it up....I do not go into CC debt for things like this.

So, yes...some people can afford bit more than others. That's just the way of the world. There are TONs of people I now with vastly greater amounts of disposable income, but it doesn't bother me. It should bother anyone.

Just do what you can, do what makes YOU happy, and live and let live.

I don't know what the "sickening" comment that person made was all about either.

C

That's a pretty decent comment that aligns with my way of thinking. For years and years I drove cars that would embarrass most folk but I still had the odd "expensive tool" because I believe in quality when one can afford it. If anything, I feel embarrassed carrying expensive gear but I've learned to not pay attention to the sometimes attention.

I'm not the world's best photographer and will never be very good but I've learned to appreciate the features of a "good" camera and love the experience of shooting wildlife. This often only produces the photos I like if I crop, sometimes fairly heavily, and in 7 years I have learned that with good lenses and technique that quite a bit of cropping still leaves a decent photo, provided you have enough megapickles.

Presently 20M is OK but I always wished for more like 30. I bought the R and it would do except, what a let down to not have 1 series features, such as exposure off the focus point, which is ever so useful. Sold it to my daughter. I'm confident that the R5 will be great as my second camera but know that there will be some features that I will miss but that's life.

I'm certainly not financially as well off as some might judge by my camera gear and I never brag about my gear. People who are jealous ... that's their problem.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That's a pretty decent comment that aligns with my way of thinking. For years and years I drove cars that would embarrass most folk but I still had the odd "expensive tool" because I believe in quality when one can afford it. If anything, I feel embarrassed carrying expensive gear but I've learned to not pay attention to the sometimes attention.

I'm not the world's best photographer and will never be very good but I've learned to appreciate the features of a "good" camera and love the experience of shooting wildlife. This often only produces the photos I like if I crop, sometimes fairly heavily, and in 7 years I have learned that with good lenses and technique that quite a bit of cropping still leaves a decent photo, provided you have enough megapickles.

Presently 20M is OK but I always wished for more like 30. I bought the R and it would do except, what a let down to not have 1 series features, such as exposure off the focus point, which is ever so useful. Sold it to my daughter. I'm confident that the R5 will be great as my second camera but know that there will be some features that I will miss but that's life.

I'm certainly not financially as well off as some might judge by my camera gear and I never brag about my gear. People who are jealous ... that's their problem.

Jack

If I understood you right, you drive a beater car so you can spend your money on other things.

Nothing wrong with that!!

• Love
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Mirrorless cameras are video camcorders that are adapted to be able to shoot stills. They may be dsigned to resemble stills cameras for marketing and usability purposes but they are camcorders nonetheless.

If I just wanted to shoot stills I doubt if I'd ever need to buy another camera. Most of the development that is being done for stills is to make them even more idiot-proof than they are now. It's pretty hard to take a technically poor photo with any camera available today. DR is reaching theoretical limits and AF improvements are mainly targeted at unskilled users. Personally, I've never found that increased MP's really improved my photo's. It's nice to be able to crop a little more but IMO once you crop any photo to a significant degree it's pretty much a lost cause. The shooting experience gets better with every new generation but I think we are approaching peak IQ for interchangeable lens cameras. The real investment capital is going into phones. In contrast, video capture is progressing rapidly and it's the video functionality of the R5 that is most interesting to many of us.

edit: As far as stills go; I think it's obvious to anyone that, the smaller the sensor, the more difficult it is to make large enlargements. I've used cameras from minox minis to graphic arts cameras with imaging areas 500x full frame and it's as close to an unbreakable rule as exists in photgraphy. That being said, in my experience, modern APS-C sized sensor are perfectly capable of delivering high quality results for many purposes. It requires a bit more effort than a "full frame" but it certainly is achievable.

edit 2: Another unbreakable rule could be "The compact camera that I carry with me takes infinitely better pictures than the bulky camera that's sitting on my desk".

The point still remains: The XT4 is a dual purpose camera that needs higher resolution for taking still images. The C300 Mark III is a video only camera that doesn't need more resolution because it isn't made to take stills.

Upvote 0

Jack

I don't think anyone really has to justify their gear or belongings. Some people simply value different things in life and living life itself is simply a set of compromises anyhow. We can't do everything in life, so we choose the things that best suit us. I had a ton of hobbies when single, but things gradually get adjusted when your life changes. Can't have the time to do everything. The reef system I had was the first to go while the camera and video hobby which became a part time revenue generator took over. Too bad though, I'd probably get a lot more enjoyment maintaining the reef tank than having my camera gear collect dust these last few months..

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Why do you think Canon has postponed its R5 announcement? Statet it in the time of Photokina before the shutdown.
Do you think they wait for Sony to get their 2 new models announced?
Just curious, what purpose would that serve, to wait until another company released their own cameras? The R5 isn't going to change at all based on a competitors new release. Whatever Sony and/or Nikon release next, the R5 is still going to be whatever the R5 was designed to be from the beginning.

Be patient, it's not like Canon has set a date for an announcement and postponed it - it just hasn't happened when many of us expected (myself included - I expected an announcement last week when Photokina would have been).

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
With all of the early speculation on Canon announcements of new bodies this year, I would love for CR Guy to post a summary of where things currently stand...

Possibly four (4) full frame bodies this year (Looks like 3 to me - 1DXiii, R5, R6)??
Two APS-C M-mount??
And a lot of lenses.

That's a lot of announcements for the second half of the year!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So, it is now JUNE....

Do we expect a formal R6 announcement this month even though the R5 announcement isn't coming until July? I don't think Canon has even officially recognized the R6....

Dad, Are we there yet??? :oops:

You're still back at home and grounded until Christmas... 2022 now.

Upvote 0