Show your Bird Portraits

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Been a short while since I contributed...between clouds and rain and just being busy with life, I still managed to get out each week and grab a few additions for the thread. Been experimenting with DXO, C1, and Denoise lately as well.

Lovely early morning light
M62_3020-Topaz.jpg

and the lights pretty sweet in the evening, too
M62_3266-Topaz-2.jpg

Sometimes birds express frustration, too...I can relate to this guy. Seriously. Where's my R5? :LOL:
7D2_4388_DxO.jpg

And one gratuitous non-avian contribution if I may...but he did sneak up on me yesterday while I was photographing birds. Does that count? Made me laugh, he popped out of the grass, saw me standing there, and after a few seconds walked right back in as if he intended to all along.
M62_4172-Topaz-2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just came across this old shot I took of a Little Egret catching a Common Darter dragonfly, taken on a 5DIII and 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC, a tiny crop which I have now enlarged 2x using Topaz Gigapixel. That lens with the 2xTC is phenomenally sharp, and I had some very satisfying shots with it on the 5DIII. A gem of a lens, which could be reworked as a lighter weight RF version to go with a high resolution sensor.
egret+darter_dragonfly_2U4A7398-DxO_SH2_00x.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Just came across this old shot I took of a Little Egret catching a Common Darter dragonfly, taken on a 5DIII and 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC, a tiny crop which I have now enlarged 2x using Topaz Gigapixel. That lens with the 2xTC is phenomenally sharp, and I had some very satisfying shots with it on the 5DIII. A gem of a lens, which could be reworked as a lighter weight RF version to go with a high resolution sensor.
I like that shot, although I feel sorry for that darter.
Really nice sharpness from that outdated ;) low pixel camera. I will keep mine sime time longer :ROFLMAO:

By the way:
That shot reminds me of a situation that took place in the "Vogelpark Walsrode" (famous German bird zoo):
I was watching a wattled crane that was frozen like a statue when a really beautiful big southern hawker flew by.
Blazingly fast, faster than I've ever expected from that crane it snapped at that hawker and cought it with one move.
I was deeply imressed. And I've never seen any bird moving that fast again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... is that a Eurasian Jay?
I looked it up yet again.
Ornithologists divide the Eurasian/European Jay (garrulus glandarius) up into 11 (German Wiki) or 9 (English Wiki) subspecies.
Makes me dizzy o_O

Not to mention all the other Eurasian groups...;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I looked it up yet again.
Ornithologists divide the Eurasian/European Jay (garrulus glandarius) up into 11 (German Wiki) or 9 (English Wiki) subspecies.
Makes me dizzy o_O

Not to mention all the other Eurasian groups...;)
Don't pay attention to the subspecies for most of the species (some species are exception!) - you have to have the bird in hand and even better - take DNA sample and proceed it in well equipped lab (but even then you could get in trouble because the gene fluctuations/mixing and whatever else).
First two - juvenile White-Rumped Shama, next two Red Crested Cardinal (has nothing to do with the Cardinals!) and the last two are that baby White Tern that I posted before - now ~two weeks grown! The Wite Tern photos in very windy conditions and badly overcast sky.

DSC_6437_DxO.jpgDSC_6440_DxO.jpgDSC_6564_DxO.jpgDSC_6602_DxO.jpgDSC_6972_DxO.jpgDSC_6964_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0