The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

Mar 4, 2020
The asteriks-comment refered to says

"When in 8K RAW, 8K/4K DCI modes"

I cannot read that in any other way that 8K is DCI too.

I agree. If the 8K was not going to refer to the "DCI Modes" it should have been separated by a comma (i.e. different item) not a "/" slash which infers an interchangeable item.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Not to add anymore fuel to the fire regarding pixel resolution, but....

Has there been any mention on digital stabilization? (I believe the R and RP bot include digital stabilization, but of course they don't have IBIS.) If they did implement digital stabilization also, wouldn't they have to increase the pixel rows and columns to support that?

Obviously, I don't know much about this, but just curious...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
As the R5 will most definitely be out of my price range I am seriously considering the R6 as a complimentary body for my 7d2. I know I lose a lot of pixels on target but the low light performance may make it worthwhile while also giving me a camera that will massively outshine the 7d2 for Aurora photography.
Regarding Auroras the R6 will definitely a substantial upgrade, even an old 5D3 would be. I use the 7D2 since many years. It was a real improvement at higher ISOs over the original 7D but it is now a 6 years old crop camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Now that we have a month's notice, maybe we should we start a forum discussion where we can start practicing excuses to justify the purchase to loved ones and concerned onlookers.

"Yes, I already have a camera, but I don't have that camera!"
I gave my girl my EOS R, so no excuses needed. I planned from back when I purchased the R to eventually pass it on to her and upgrade to the “Pro body”. I’m not sure this is the “Pro body”, but it’s closer to it than the R. I’ll be preordering for sure, R5 looks to be absolutely amazing. Canon is back!

Upvote 0
Now that we have a month's notice, maybe we should we start a forum discussion where we can start practicing excuses to justify the purchase to loved ones and concerned onlookers.

"Yes, I already have a camera, but I don't have that camera!"

Im sure its been done before, but Buy Now Pay Later.... spend the following interest free period happy snapping plus also desperately looking for a new partner.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Are any pro's going to buy this before the end of the year due to not having any business?
I dont want to be to political, but here are my experiences and my opinion on that: At least in germany the business isnt that bad for professional photographers. Most companies are still running production and while the economy took a hit, its not like there is no need for commercial photo-work. product photos can be done in a studio just like before, so no problem there. Same for other commercial photorgaphy, brochures, flyers, architecture, etc.
Also by the middle of summer travel possibilities will be in europe completely back on track, so this is (in my opinion) another topic where the R5 could shine with the high resolution and small body :)
Event photography is certainly not happening right know, especialy weddings. But some smaller weddings are allready starting to happen. By september (when the R5 likely will arrive in germany) I can see quite some more weddings to happen. The next season will also be most likely be twice as packed, we allready get inquiries for next year. I think the R5 will absolutely shine for weddings: perfect resolution (high, but not to high to be bad in low light), a handy body, canon colors and probably good ergonomics, most awesome lenses, silent shutter(!)... all these will be great for wedding photographers :)
So overall the impact wasnt that devastating and by fall, when the R5 will be available in germany, I guess most photography businesses will be back to normal.

I will preorder a R5 as soon as possible. If it holds up my expectation I will sell my 5D IV, 1DX II, Sony A7R IV, Panasonic S1H, Gh5 and GH4 and replace these 6 cameras with just 3 R5 cameras :) I expect it to replace all cameras equaly or even better in terms of photoquality AND videoquality :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
But if they don't make the sensor for 8k DCI, wouldn't that make the down-sampling to full width 4K DCI much more difficult? If the sensor is built at 8K DCI resolution (i.e. double 4K in width and height) I would think the algorithm would be much easier and less processor intensive...
That's why I agree that 45mp in the R5 is probable, just not 100%.
There's still room for doubt. 4ex they may be just downsampling from normal non-DCI 8K to DCI 4K.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
That's why I agree that 45mp in the R5 is probable, just not 100%.
There's still room for doubt. 4ex they may be just downsampling from normal non-DCI 8K to DCI 4K.
Agree. Nothing is know for sure until it is official.

One spec I am interested in but has not been confirmed or discussed much is the auto-focus system. Canon said something like "taken from the auto focus system in the 1DXiii..." but will it actually be the same auto focus system or will then reduce the capability somewhat to protect the 1DX for those that are really demanding on fast tracking (i.e. sports, wildlife)?

Upvote 0
I agree. If the 8K was not going to refer to the "DCI Modes" it should have been separated by a comma (i.e. different item) not a "/" slash which infers an interchangeable item.
It's just ambiguous, maybe even deliberately ambiguous. It can read as
(8K) / (4K DCI) or as (8K/4K) DCI. The slash can also mean a 'different item'. Would a comma in place of the slash fix the ambiguity? Not so much IMO as one would still argue DCI could apply to both 4K and 8K...

Why didn't they write '4K/8K DCI'? :)

Upvote 0
Agree. Nothing is know for sure until it is official.

One spec I am interested in but has not been confirmed or discussed much is the auto-focus system. Canon said something like "taken from the auto focus system in the 1DXiii..." but will it actually be the same auto focus system or will then reduce the capability somewhat to protect the 1DX for those that are really demanding on fast tracking (i.e. sports, wildlife)?

That may be very hard to guess because it's not just one spec but lots of specs on autofocus. However Canon clams quite powerful autofocus for the R5, just hard to tell how it'd compare to the 1DXIII.

--------------------------------------
Head And Eye Detect
EOS R5 supports advanced autofocus – recognising not only people, but also dogs, cats and birds. The camera has the ability to focus on the eyes, face and body of the animal with pin-sharp detail.

https://www.canon.com.au/cameras/eos-r5

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2020
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
It's just ambiguous, maybe even deliberately ambiguous. It can read as
(8K) / (4K DCI) or as (8K/4K) DCI. The slash can also mean a 'different item'. Would a comma in place of the slash fix the ambiguity? Not so much IMO as one would still argue DCI could apply to both 4K and 8K...

Why didn't they write '4K/8K DCI'? :)
As I said before the reason for the ambiguous specs is that DCI have yet to publish any 8K standards. Canon cannot advertise a camera as being compliant with a standard that does not exist. However, the resolution of any future 8K DCI standard is almost guaranteed to be 8192x4320 so it’s very likely the R5 will be able to record in this resolution.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0