The exact announcement date for the Canon EOS R5 is still unknown

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
As we all wait like expectant parents for that first baby (R5) to be delivered, has anyone thought about what they are going to photograph with all this new gear in the world of COVID? I have already had 5 trips canceled since the beginning of the year and don't anticipate any travel in the remainder of 2020 unless I can slip out to GTNP / YNP. Even that is a challenge considering that the National Park Lodges are closed (some availability of cabins). My focus is nature and wildlife, but I have even considered breaking out the studio gear and doing a little model photography. The only problem is that involves a models, makeup artist, etc. While there are photo opportunities in driving distance of my home, there is nothing that requires any more gear than my current 1dx II and election of L lenses. What do with all that gear? Damm the torpedoes and full speed ahead! I want my R5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
So yeah...for me it´s weird we didn´t heard anything so far...not even one leaked photo...nothing! The Camera looks like a "ghost"! :D
The lack of information about the R6 is pretty much normal for Canon. The two official teasers with a fair amount of performance information about the R5 is what is unusual. If anything, the rumors about the R6 several months in advance of any official announcement were more specific than usual.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
As we all wait like expectant parents for that first baby (R5) to be delivered, has anyone thought about what they are going to photograph with all this new gear in the world of COVID? I have already had 5 trips canceled since the beginning of the year and don't anticipate any travel in the remainder of 2020 unless I can slip out to GTNP / YNP. Even that is a challenge considering that the National Park Lodges are closed (some availability of cabins). My focus is nature and wildlife, but I have even considered breaking out the studio gear and doing a little model photography. The only problem is that involves a models, makeup artist, etc. While there are photo opportunities in driving distance of my home, there is nothing that requires any more gear than my current 1dx II and election of L lenses. What do with all that gear? Damm the torpedoes and full speed ahead! I want my R5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same boat, but the EOS R is great for portraits and anything in the studio. Dynamic shots at some events are problematic, as are, of course, sports/action, and these are why I'd want the R5...someday.

If I didn't have kids to tend to, I'd be out just for fun taking photos at rallies, and, where safe, some urban landscape spots. We don't have to wear masks outdoors in our location--unless in a situation, like a rally, where social distancing is diffiuclt.

In fact, right now I think, out on the streets, holding an R and, say, a 24-105, is less stressful than something in the price range of the R5 and a truly premium L series Rf.

We are all in the same boat, but, at this point, portrait work is starting to pick up. As I shoot mostly 85mm and longer, distance is not a problem, but subjects have to do their own makeup and hair! Or bring their own artist.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Yep, got the ProGrade which is combined CF Express + UHS-II SD, which will be perfect. If the R5 comes with a card reader, the included one will at least be a nice back up.
I bought a Sandisk 128bg CFexpress + ProGrade UHS II cards while B&H had sales/stock. I bought the same ProGrade reader and did some test copies between the 128 gb CFExpess card & iMac - really fast.

Upvote 0
Of course the R5 is being more hyped than the R6 and the R6 is a little bit "left behind" in this rumor/development announcements. Wht is weird to me is Canon making a big splash of the EOS R5 and tells nothing about the R6. There was no previous announcement or any mention about this R6 What we know so far is what we read here or in other rumor sites...Which is kinda weird...Well..Either the EOS R6 is a very intro camera that Canon decided not to Hype because it´s...an intro level...like let´s say...the RP, or Canon is preparing somehow a surprise out of this...I find it weird no mentions about the camera because even being a intro level camera the rumored specs are quite impressive! At least in video mode...In stills mode we don´t know many thing so far...

So yeah...for me it´s weird we didn´t heard anything so far...not even one leaked photo...nothing! The Camera looks like a "ghost"! :D
Agree, but I can't say that the R6 is an entry level camera? I'd compare it to the A7 III which is definitely not an entry level camera so I don't know why people always act like this R6 would maybe even be worse than the regular Eos R.
I think it has a lot of good features and really has what a lot of videographers tend to ask for. So yeah I'm hyped for the R6!

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Same boat, but the EOS R is great for portraits and anything in the studio. Dynamic shots at some events are problematic, as are, of course, sports/action, and these are why I'd want the R5...someday.

If I didn't have kids to tend to, I'd be out just for fun taking photos at rallies, and, where safe, some urban landscape spots. We don't have to wear masks outdoors in our location--unless in a situation, like a rally, where social distancing is diffiuclt.

In fact, right now I think, out on the streets, holding an R and, say, a 24-105, is less stressful than something in the price range of the R5 and a truly premium L series Rf.

We are all in the same boat, but, at this point, portrait work is starting to pick up. As I shoot mostly 85mm and longer, distance is not a problem, but subjects have to do their own makeup and hair! Or bring their own artist.
I live in Georgia which was one of the early states to restart, but we are staying close to home. My attitude is that I will be adventurous with domestic travel when there is either an effective treatment or vaccine. I did book a trip to Jackson, WY in the fall that requires one round trip flight to SLC, but all depends on the state of the virus. I definitely don't expect a vaccine by that date. I think it is more something to look forward to and deal with the disappointment when realty arrives. Studio is starting to look like a good option if I can find proper subjects. I plan to go ahed and pickup the R5 when available so I will be ready once we travel.

Upvote 0
I bought a Sandisk 128bg CFexpress + ProGrade UHS II cards while B&H had sales/stock. I bought the same ProGrade reader and did some test copies between the 128 gb CFExpess card & iMac - really fast.
I'd prefer a USB-C dock but they are basically not available for CFe or USH-II SD card :-(
The OWC thunderbolt 3 pro does support SD UHS-II) @USD320!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agree, but I can't say that the R6 is an entry level camera? I'd compare it to the A7 III which is definitely not an entry level camera so I don't know why people always act like this R6 would maybe even be worse than the regular Eos R.
I think it has a lot of good features and really has what a lot of videographers tend to ask for. So yeah I'm hyped for the R6!

Question is we dont really know what´s coming....I also dont consider it an entry level camera and I could definitely see myself changing my EOS R for the R6! Easily...So I don´t know what to think. Maybe people is reacting as an entry leve camera because of the lack of the top screen....And that lead us to an EOS RP equivalent... Guess in a few weeks we will know! :D

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I bet you $10 you gained at least 10lbs ...lol
For some, the new 'Freshman 15' is the 'Covid 19' although around here, more folks are getting out and seem fitter, me I've lost my usual SPRING 20 pounds. Beer in the fall and winter will take care of that.

Now, weight rant over...after the R5/6, since we all know the R1 will be quite a wait, will there be another body in the interim? An R3/7 or whatnot? So far none of these models do anything for me (be it specs or price or both) and am curious if there will be something else midrange to tempt me from the 5D3. Maybe an R5.5

Upvote 0