Canon EOS R5 pricing in Europe may have leaked [CR2]

Aug 27, 2019
many people aren't directly impacted by the covid19 situation. not to mention, a lot have profited from it as well.

most of the people that were living ie: in the USA with a $400-500 emergency backup fund and paycheck to paycheck wouldn't have been interested in the R5 no matter what (as an example).

Even pros, if they are so impacted by it financially, most likely they wouldn't be interested in a new camera regardless of price. it was never going to be a $2000 camera.

and just because this happened - does mean that Canon turns around and gives it away at a loss or what you deem is an acceptable price.

Also, retailers get volume deals as well, to help with promotion, so it really depends on the arrangements between Canon UK and the retailer really. The cost to the retailers - is what Canon charges them - the rest is a payment to the retailer, to I don't know.. run promotions, pay staff, buildings, taxes, that sort of thing. What you are complaining about is not Canon - but the fact that Canon has the unprecedented nerve to want the retailers to make money on the camera.

we don't know what the FOB price is - and lets face it, the UK is an expensive country to do business in.

Canon would have developed the camera - with a price in mind, but in a few months before release is supposed to strip down that price? I can't see any business with long development timelines surviving doing that.
I am in the group that has done well from Covid both in my full time job as a QA developer and in my stock footage\photography portfolio's. People wearing masks, crowds at the beach, disposable gloves on the ground etc... have all sold well.

This latest round of protesting has also been a real boon to my sales. Though I personally do not like being on the streets with so many people and have some moral conflicts about selling photos\video of people so I tend to only submit the more abstract photos where people and places are very hard to identify and it is more about the feel of the image.

My goal is to be a full time photographer and in order to do that I need to have multiple revenue streams but am am also lucky that my wife and I both have a full time jobs we can do from anywhere and have not really been impacted other than it was hard to find toilet paper for a few weeks. Oh and those empty store shelves photos also sold really well.

I will be getting the R5 even at the $5500 CDN price tag. My EOS R will likely be traded in or sold to help offset the price but I think the price for what it looks like we are getting will be worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I once had a camera dealer in NYC say that to me. My response was “No, I needed to know to pay you. Goodbye.” The next store down the street was more than happy to take my cash without insipid commentary.
Sounds about like what I would do though I am in the group that knows more about the item I am buying than the person trying to sell it to me and I tend to ask nothing other than "where do I pay".

I know how it works, how much it costs and where it is before I leave the house.

My wife "shops" I buy.;)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I just don't understand the idea that the professional photographer/videographer market is some huge sea of adopters that this camera was developed for, or the idea that professional photographers/videographers all have the pockets deep enough, pandemic or no pandemic. Granted, there will be professional photographers/videographers buying the camera. The mass, though, will be people who never shoot for money. Professional photographers range in income from $0 to $gobs just like the rest of us. Being a professional in any field does not automatically mean well heeled.
It is pretty much mind blowing the folks here and elsewhere who are proclaiming they need this body NOW in order to make money. Cheese and Rice, if you are a money making shooter, you have gear. Gear that has worked, will work and it's more than likely YOU are the reason you make money, not the latest gadget. No one needs this camera, just wants it, no one. I've got a link to pages and pages of camera bodies at B&H that are available NOW if you are unfortunate in such a way as in theft or disaster.
People new to the craft hate telling people they are new, ego's are fragile things. The cycling world is just as bad only you can't crash a line of photographers with your bad camera skills.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
You calculated that in the wrong direction; €1.12 Euro = $1 USD, which means €1 Euro = $.89 USD. So €4,500 Euro = $4,005 USD. After accounting for VAT, MSRP in the US will definitely be less than $4000.

Lol, you calculated the wrong way.

1 USD = 0.89 Euro

Don't trust me?

Feel free to check here:

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=EUR&To=USD

So 4500 euros is >5000 USD. But take 20% VAT, comes to ~$4000, and deduct the europe-import-addition-tax ~5-10%, Usa price should be right around $3800 plus tax.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It is pretty much mind blowing the folks here and elsewhere who are proclaiming they need this body NOW in order to make money. Cheese and Rice, if you are a money making shooter, you have gear. Gear that has worked, will work and it's more than likely YOU are the reason you make money, not the latest gadget. No one needs this camera, just wants it, no one. I've got a link to pages and pages of camera bodies at B&H that are available NOW if you are unfortunate in such a way as in theft or disaster.
People new to the craft hate telling people they are new, ego's are fragile things. The cycling world is just as bad only you can't crash a line of photographers with your bad camera skills.
Please stay on topic. This is a tax thread. You mentioned crashing. The insurance seminar is another thread. :ROFLMAO: :p

• Haha
Upvote 0
Funny how we've got stable geniuses here who can slice up eyeballs with sensor specs but can't get simple addition with currency conversion!

It's funny this conversation comes up EVERY time there's a new release.

I mean EVERY. FREAKING. TIME.

You get people going .. omgggggg i'm paying so much in europe whyyyy???!!!!!!????

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 68328

Did you factor inflation into the curve? The Mark 3 was introduced in 2012.
Still, that's hell of an inflation. Don't know where you live, but my guess is that those living in Europe and who used to earn 3300 euros in 2012 were most likely not earning 4100€ by the 5D Mark IV release date, nor 4500 euros at the moment :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Still, that's hell of an inflation. Don't know where you live, but my guess is that those living in Europe and who used to earn 3300 euros in 2012 were most likely not earning 4100€ by the 5D Mark IV release date, nor 4500 euros at the moment :)
True that there is an increase in real price, but the difference is not as great as the nominal prices shown.

Upvote 0

nope hardly at all but there is yen exchange to be calculated in there as well. 4100 in 2018 = 4220 today.

however, it's hard to say that the R5 does not best the 5D Mark IV in just about every single way except optical viewfinder. It isn't just a "modest" upgrade from the 5D Mark IV.

- higher FPS with mech shutter
- better performing liveview
- 45MP new gen sensor
- eye AF for humans and animals
and we won't even get into the video functions - which the R5 just kicks the 5D Mark IV to the curb and back.

so if the 5D Mark IV is the baseline, essentially you are paying $280 more euros for a camera that kills it in almost every fashion.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, there's specification inflation too. Don't forget to calculate that in. People buying the R5 ain't buying a 5D Mark IV, III, or II. Making any kind of price comparison between the bodies and trying to factor in exchange rates and inflation (inflation where? Inflation in Venezuela is different from inflation in the USA or Japan) is just kinda silly. "It's a 5D equivalent!" No it isn't. That's pure horse poop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I just don't understand the idea that the professional photographer/videographer market is some huge sea of adopters that this camera was developed for, or the idea that professional photographers/videographers all have the pockets deep enough, pandemic or no pandemic. Granted, there will be professional photographers/videographers buying the camera. The mass, though, will be people who never shoot for money. Professional photographers range in income from $0 to $gobs just like the rest of us. Being a professional in any field does not automatically mean well heeled.
It takes at least 2 years to design and develop a major new camera model. The camera by necessity was designed for the market two years ago. Sales is certainly a unknown, but based on the interest I see, more people than I expect may buy one. The big bucks and profit is in the lenses, but there is plenty of profit generated by early adopters. The Covid-19 situation is definitely a big factor, and if things stay bad or get worse, well, nobody knows. It does seem to be contained in Japan.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
It takes at least 2 years to design and develop a major new camera model. The camera by necessity was designed for the market two years ago. Sales is certainly a unknown, but based on the interest I see, more people than I expect may buy one. The big bucks and profit is in the lenses, but there is plenty of profit generated by early adopters. The Covid-19 situation is definitely a big factor, and if things stay bad or get worse, well, nobody knows. It does seem to be contained in Japan.

I mostly agree with your statement, with one exception.

It does not take 2 years for NPI, New Product Introduction.

The company I work for designed, tested and is about to release a slew of covid features including a completely new camera and that took us less then 3 months. Hell the software features only took 8 weeks and we are all working from home.

My guess is Canon ramped up EOS R5 timeline about 15mins after the less than favorable EOS R reception. The heavy lifting was done with EOS R and RP. The new mount was designed and the general shape and construction was there already. I would also guess tge majority of the minor components will be shared with R, RP, R5 and R6

The EOS R might have been 2 years of development with a small team doing feasibility studies for 6 months to a year and then from TG1 to PR was another 6 months with general release a month or less after a successful PR (Production Run)

I doubt the R5 changes much of the original design from the R. Adding components like duel memory cards is not new tech for Canon. IBIS is new but I think the guys at lens rentals noted after taking the R apart there was room for IBIS in the body so the design likley included it from the start just did not make the R or the RP.

Again all this is a guess based on 20 years of experience in hardware and software development. Hope this is helpful.

Upvote 0
And thankfully.....with some shippers you can still get it without taxes being added to it....

Yes, but then you are obliget to pay a VAT locally, at your country, right after the import, not to mention some possible customs duties, or you are simply breaking a law. In CZ, VAT is 21%.

Upvote 0
I mostly agree with your statement, with one exception.

It does not take 2 years for NPI, New Product Introduction.

actually canon has stated that from development to rollout it was around 3 years for a 1 series camera. 5 series isn't that far off. IBIS they have been working on for over 3 years now, since 2017, again, documented.

The R would have longer timelines, the mount was being R&D'ed most likely before 2016, however we have for sure documents placing it 2016. which makes it around 2 years or more.

The R5 design is entirely different than the R, IBIS, higher throughput, most likely a far greater heat dissipation issues, etc. The R outside of the mount, and the change of lens protocols, for all purposes, was essentially a 5D with firmware releases augmenting it post-release.

The R system is a serious under taking by Canon - it's obvious, they haven't had any attention to any other product during this time. it's not as if it's an afterthought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0