Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

If the 70-200 f4 is in the picture (and why wouldn't it be?) it seems that it's a black lens unlike it's EF counterpart. Also it has to be pretty compact otherwise it would stick out more.

I have to count the lenses.. maybe it's the one beside the 70-200 2.8L? but it looks fat for an F4.

I think this is right .. seems to be no 50mm or70-200 F4.

https://www.canonnews.com/image-of-the-upcoming-canon-rf-products-coming-july-9th
650650p953EDNmainimg-eosrlineupbig-(1).jpg
The lens with the ? I think it would be the 85mm Macro.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Not pancake but maybe i expected a bit smaller considering the 600mm is 3 stops slower than the F4 version and it's also DO.
we did a comparison. it's a TON smaller. look on our page, we have a comparison of the 100-400 against the super tele's .. they are night and day smaller.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Good to have a date so everything will be out in the open. As I'm going to have to wait for the R5 if it as priced as expected. :(, I'd love to know if the 1.4 & 2 x extenders are compatible with the RF24-104 F4l and RF 70-200MF2.8? There have been some differing opinions. Some say yes they are, some say no they are not as the design of the lenses dont allow enough room between the sensor and the lens, also are they designed just for RF lenses or for EF / RF?

Upvote 0
What's the fifth camera? It's the only one not showing its model number. Looks identical to the RP, but the RP is on the far right.

EOS Ra - That got me excited for 10 minutes until I remembered the Ra. the two right hand cameras are the same. just a slightly different perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Good to have a date so everything will be out in the open. As I'm going to have to wait for the R5 if it as priced as expected. :(, I'd love to know if the 1.4 & 2 x extenders are compatible with the RF24-104 F4l and RF 70-200MF2.8? There have been some differing opinions. Some say yes they are, some say no they are not as the design of the lenses dont allow enough room between the sensor and the lens, also are they designed just for RF lenses or for EF / RF?
The only lens, that will be compatible (for now) is the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM
(and possibly the two f/11 DO lenses, but they are non-L lenses, so they might not be)

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
The only lens, that will be compatible (for now) is the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM
(and possibly the two f/11 DO lenses, but they are non-L lenses, so they might not be)
Interesting, I cant find any information on this and canon won't comment. Not sure of the rationale for the bigger lenses to be compatible with the extenders? Why extend an already big lens and reduce the aperture even more? I might be looking at this the wrong way as I've never used extenders but wouldn't it make more sense for extenders to work with medium ranges like the 70-200?

So confusing :sneaky:

Upvote 0
As an aside to the huge announcements, can anyone offer any information on the drop in filter mounts? I can only find mounts that are for the EF-EOS R but none specifically to use with RF lenses?
I'm pretty sure the drop in filter mounts only work with the EF-RF adapter and there is no option to use those with RF lenses

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Why extend an already big lens and reduce the aperture even more? I might be looking at this the wrong way as I've never used extenders but wouldn't it make more sense for extenders to work with medium ranges like the 70-200?

The 70–200mm is designed to exploit the short flange distance of the RF mount. Unfortunately that makes it physically incompatible with extenders.

Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
Upvote 0