Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I bow to your obviously superior technical knowledge, I just use the camera and don't have a great knowledge of the design or technical details lol. May be a silly question but as the drop in filter adapter adds a further element and is deeper than the normal adapter, would that not have the same issue with EF lenses?

You already need to space the EF lenses from the body for them to work on an RF body. The EF->RF adapter just supplies that space. But now there's space to drop in a filter.

No way to add the space between an RF lens and an RF body, since there's zero distance to play with.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They are TINY.. compare the 100-500 to the 100-400L and against the super tele's on the EF side.

Agreed. The 600 is shorter than the 100-500! These could also be positioned in Photoshop for viewing and not technically resting on the same plane. If this is a true photo of the products, the rear f/11 telephotos could be on stands/risers so we can see them.

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
So the smallest RF lens is turning out to be an adapted EF 40mm f/2.8?
I could see them having both f/1.8 and f/1.2L for 35mm/50mm/85mm covered within the next 9 months, and then once everyone has purchased one of those, they'll start putting out f/2 pancakes or f/1.4L's for the same focal lengths in 2022. Just wild speculation on my part though. That's what I'd do if I were them anyway.

Upvote 0

Paul Nordin

CR Pro
Jun 5, 2020
How would you install a adapter for a RF lens? It would change the distance to the sensor plane so you would not be able to focus. I suppose one could be designed with lenses inside to correct for that, but making it work for every current and future RF lens is probably not something you'd want to pat for.
Thats the same for any lens design...adapters have to have optics that A) properly replicate/account for the Flange Focal Distance of the lens being adapted, and then B) add optics to produce the effect they are being targeted for, and finally C) present a modified image that resolves at the proper focal plane for the sensor.
I am sure that Canon optics designers are quite capable of building optical adapter for RF lenses to RF Mount bodies. I am not buying into the rumors touted here as fact that the upcoming adapters (RF2x, 1.4x) will only work with a small set of lenses and not the RF 70-200...unless they can point me to an article that is from Canon or a Canon lens designer.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Okay hold on, those supertelephoto primes are really *something.* Seriously? That 600mm is basically the size of an EF 70-200. Like... It's shorter than the 100-500 at 100mm! Canon is seriously doing something here that really hasn't been done all that much before. If these are collapsed and extend to shoot, that is epic and I'm surprised that hasn't been done before, considering how a lot of wildlife photographers are far out in the field.

Now factor in that these aren't even white lenses, I bet Canon might even pull off a sub-$1000 price tag for the 600mm. I mean heck, even the old 70-200 f/4 non-IS was a white lens, alongside the old 400mm 5.6.

This is all going to be super fascinating to see where it goes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Agreed. The 600 is shorter than the 100-500! These could also be positioned in Photoshop for viewing and not technically resting on the same plane. If this is a true photo of the products, the rear f/11 telephotos could be on stands/risers so we can see them.

Okay hold on, those supertelephoto primes are really *something.* Seriously? That 600mm is basically the size of an EF 70-200. Like... It's shorter than the 100-500 at 100mm! Canon is seriously doing something here that really hasn't been done all that much before. If these are collapsed and extend to shoot, that is epic and I'm surprised that hasn't been done before, considering how a lot of wildlife photographers are far out in the field.

Well the 100-500mm isn't a DO lens(which I think have to be primes but don't quote me on that). The 600 f/11 is a DO is is going to be short and would be fat if it had a wider aperture.

Now factor in that these aren't even white lenses, I bet Canon might even pull off a sub-$1000 price tag for the 600mm. I mean heck, even the old 70-200 f/4 non-IS was a white lens, alongside the old 400mm 5.6.

Those two are L series too and very well built compared to the non L of their day. Long and slender, yet metal designs and good optics. I still use the 70-200 f/4 non-IS as it is really light and its IQ has never disappointed(though I only use it at 200mm exclusively).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, if I could only get one, it would have to be the 85 f/2 macro. I would have said 50 but I already have the 35, I enjoy macro, and with IS on the 50 I don’t expect it will be as cheap as the EF 50 anyway.

Wonder why the 70-200 f/4 and the 85 f/2 don’t seem to be in the picture? Edit: Never mind - addressed in the article.
Do you like your RF 35mm?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How about a photo centric 5D Mark V? They couldn’t abandon the EF lens series that quickly?
A photo centric 5D Mark V will never happen. I don’t think any kind of 5D Mark V will happen.

I don’t think EF lenses will go away anytime soon if for no other reason than the price points for now. The adapter solution works wonderfully for those who wish to stay with EF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Boy the size of that R6 surprises me. It looks almost identical to the R5! I was thinking it was gonna be notably smaller/closer to the RP in relative size to the R5. That's interesting.
Yep. I was hoping for a smaller body. R5 for serious work. R6 for grab and go. So now change in plans. R5 for serious work, RP from 'grab and go'.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
If you are in the market for the EOS R1, the wait might be within the next two years. In addition, you probably would be looking at purchasing new RF glass. Have you considered the EOS-1D X Mark III? It is a fantastic camera that you can purchase today, and you can use your existing EF "L" lenses.
The only two things that have limited me is the 20 mp and really limited seeing samples of action wildlife and sports. I've seen some sports, but not the files to determine the sharpness. I was also curious to know how ISO performance was. It is really a tempting camera, but 6500 is a big investment. I've played with Sony mirrorless and I still am less of a fan of EVF. The a9ii is also tempting....

Upvote 0