Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Aesthetics are a personal matter but notice how the silver ring that matched the R body Mount transitions to a white lens quite nicely. Not so much to a white lens.
Functionally, it’s tolerable to have a dedicated adapter for a lens but juggling adapted and native lenses can be an I’m inconvenience at best.
(How can I get these ads to stop interrupting my typing?)
I have AdBlock installed on my Mac. I don't get ads interrupting, because I don't get the ads (other than what are embedded as posted content by Craig). It's free, and I've been happy with it for a long time. :)

Upvote 0
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
What you are saying is all true: 1 stop can make a big difference. That is why I am not interested in f/2.8 (llike 15-35). I was so much hoping for the rumored 14-28 f/2 to appear. But apparently it is not anywhere close on the horizon.

The reason I skipped the F2 lenses is two part:
1. They lack image stabilization.
2. They are huge and heavy, tipping the scale at over 3lbs. What would the trinity weigh?

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm hoping to upgrade from my Canon 80D to Full Frame. I shoot mainly 90 percent Landscape Photography, can't afford the R5 so I was hoping the R6 would be the one. I was kind of hoping for a few more megapixels though I think ... if I ever wanted to print A3+ or crop in heavily a 30mp Sensor would have been better? Or do you think 20mp would be sufficient?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I'm hoping to upgrade from my Canon 80D to Full Frame. I shoot mainly 90 percent Landscape Photography, can't afford the R5 so I was hoping the R6 would be the one. I was kind of hoping for a few more megapixels though I think ... if I ever wanted to print A3+ or crop in heavily a 30mp Sensor would have been better? Or do you think 20mp would be sufficient?
For mostly landscape, I would opt for a gray market R for under $1500.

Eos R

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I currently have a 20MP sensor and can print really large prints with it - up to a yard wide looks beautiful (I do help by making the photo as good as possible in post). I email it off to WhiteWall in Germany and they ship it back for almost free. So don't sweat that, unless you crop really heavy (in which case the 30MP image will have somewhat similar issues). The R6 having IBIS alone is worth buying IMHO, plus you get everything else it offers, like a 5Mdot EVF and dual card slots! I'd say get the R6 and revel in the new beautiful camera. Or you could look for a used or gray market R for less $. One other option you have is to save up a bit more money and see what the R5s 85?MP sensor & cost is in maybe a year or less - it will probably be aimed more at landscape photography anyway.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The R is a great choice for landscapes and portraits, in my opinion. It really is a very nice camera.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Canon needs to figure out there insanely loud shutter sound and shutter response. It's a big deal, strangely enough, now that I've used Panasonic and Fuji cameras with their beautiful shutters and quiet, but responsive shutter sounds. Hard to go back to the EOS R and do doc-photography (or really any type besides sports) and hear that CLANK, drawing attention to yourself.

Upvote 0

TracerHD

Canon EOS R1 Pro
Aug 22, 2019
The answer is just that simple: https://www.photonstophotos.net/Cha...n EOS 5D Mark IV,Sony ILCE-7RM4,Sony ILCE-9M2

if you shoot ISO 31 - 80 you buy a D850
if you shoot ISO 100 - 159 you buy a A7R IV as a second camera
for ISO 200 you buy a 1DX III additional
for ISO 251 - 1237 you use your A7R IV
for ISO 1600 - 12800 you need to switch between the 1DX III, R and 5D IV situationaly

so 5 cameras will bring the best result in quality / dynamic range.

much more important: it seems like the MP-count at dxo-mark has much more impact to the rating result than the rest. Atleast MP-count affect the other cathegories. Compare the 1DX III, D850, S1R and D5

• Haha
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
You might appreciate the EOS R more, since it's 30mp sensor has shown up well here for landscape and portrait photography, though not so much for action shots. And it’s likely to be priced below the R6, and well below the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Question 1:
does f 2,8 stop down to 5,6 natively at lens
effect the image qualitiy the same than use 2,8 + 2x tele converter?
At some lenses stop down increase the sharpness in the corners, aswell f13+ decrease the image quality.

Question 2:
Won't be flicker a problem at 800mm + 2x tele-converter?
If I understand your question correctly, you’re asking how a teleconverter impacts lens quality compared to changing aperture on the lens normally without the teleconverter.

I’ll avoid the physics, but when you step a lens down normally by changing the size of the aperture hole,, it’s sharpness increases.

A teleconverter is actually a type of lens itself with more glass in it. When you add The teleconverter, It changes the optics of the lens. This decreases the aperture, but unlike the example, it makes the sharpness worse. It has more glass in the path of the light.

I don’t understand your question about flicker. Perhaps you mean motion blur due to it being so long? If so, Yes. You’d need to shoot at faster shutter speeds, like all telephoto lenses.

Upvote 0

TracerHD

Canon EOS R1 Pro
Aug 22, 2019
If I understand your question correctly, you’re asking how a teleconverter impacts lens quality compared to changing aperture on the lens normally without the teleconverter. [...] I don’t understand your question about flicker. Perhaps you mean motion blur due to it being so long? If so, Yes. You’d need to shoot at faster shutter speeds, like all telephoto lenses.

Thanks a lot! =) That was exactly what I want to know :)

Upvote 0
Not much better, in terms of the dynamic range it's pretty much on par with the rivals, e.g. it's slightly better than A9II and slightly worse than A7RIV, and better than 5DIV. That's according to photonstophotos:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Sony ILCE-7RM4,Sony ILCE-9M2

This is a more relevant metric in my opinion. The sensor response to lifting shadows has a greater bearing on the way I work than total dynamic range. TDR of Canon sensors is usually suficient for most subjects I photograph. The 1DX3 has a significantly flatter ISO curve than any other Canon sensor I've looked at. If the sensor in the 6R is as ISO invarient as the 1DX3 than it is going to be a winner IMO.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
So far, of all the R based camera bodies, the R seems like the best bag for my buck to replace my 5D3. The 5 is too rich for a secondary hobby and the 6 is like the kids say, Meh since I'll never turn on the recording feature (the feature which is free of course) So when CanonFanBoy puts his on the market I'll be on it like Pence on The Donald.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So far, of all the R based camera bodies, the R seems like the best bag for my buck to replace my 5D3. The 5 is too rich for a secondary hobby and the 6 is like the kids say, Meh since I'll never turn on the recording feature (the feature which is free of course) So when CanonFanBoy puts his on the market I'll be on it like Pence on The Donald.
You'll be waiting a long time. ;) My R is going to be in my dirty little hands for years. ;)

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
I think the R5 will improve on the 7d2 by that type of improvement. In crop mode, you will have the reach of aps-c and still have 18-19 mp (assuming 45mp sensor), significantly improved AF similar to 1dx, faster frame rate, faster memory which should increase buffer (especially in crop mode), similar weather sealing of 5d series, and better image quality and high iso performance due to newer sensor tech and processor. On top of that, you will have full frame when you don’t need the extra reach and the associated improved IQ and high iso.

I’m looking for 7d2 upgrade, also. I think the R5 is a great option, but expensive for someone coming from a 7d2!
It's actually 17 MP, and that doesn't cut it when the current generation crop sensor (as in the 90D) is 32 MP. And £4,000 doesn't cut it either, for anybody who simply wants a crop body.

I actually shoot both full frame and crop, so (if a few doubts can be assuaged) I will quite likely have an R5 in my hands at some point for full frame shooting. But even when the cost objection has been rendered irrelevant by already having one, crop mode will not substitute for even current generation crop DSLRs, never mind a potential next generation.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Nice photo. In my experience, I need faster shutter speed generally.
Yes. You are not shooting at 1/400 on an 800mm lens. Even with a tripod you would get soft images 90% of the time. In rrality 1/800sec is the minumum. So you would then be looking at ISO 10000

Upvote 0