Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

That is some fun speculation. But it has a sprinkle too much Harry in it for me :LOL:

There is nothing that Canon needs Sony for in terms of sensor tech. Despite the Dual Pixel design they have now matched Sony in DR, exceeded it in throughput and in terms of Color they were always ahead anyway. Once they decide to make more use of the two photo diodes per Pixel they can crush Sony in terms of DR as demonstrated in the C300 III and to a lesser degree, DPRAW with custom software. Sure there is the stacked sensor. But Canon is all about keeping costs low. And so far stacked sensor designs aren't about that at all.

In any case, they won't give up DPAF after slowly building up a reputation around it for so long.

And in terms of lenses, that has always been Canon's strength. Part of that certainly was their superior mount, but they have had a reputation for excellent lenses far back. And their new mount is just EF with a shorter flange distance, removing even more restrictions for the designers.

Agree with all of this. If Canon put the same energy into the R5/6 DR and color depth as they did into the video specs, Sony is dooooomed :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
– Will be eclipsed by the the R5s/R5sR ultra-high res model.

In the meantime, if I had an A7R4, I would "downgrade" to the R5 45mp just to gain access to the RF lenses.
I'm a hybrid shooter. So if I had a A7R4, I would be downgrading from Sony's superior 8 bit 4.2.0 internal recording to Canon's crappy 10 bit 4.2.2. I would be sacrificing the glorious Sony 4K30p for the Canon's crippled no crop up to 8K30p or 4K120p with working autofocus in all modes.

All jokes aside, the Sony is what I'd consider a great high resolution photography camera with some video capabilities thrown in. I suppose if resolution was your priority, the Sony is what you'd consider first. By every other metric the R5 equals or leaves it in the dust.

Upvote 0
The point was about a competitor to the R5. The R5 is at least announced by Canon.

In the meantime, if I had an A7R4, I would "downgrade" to the R5 45mp just to gain access to the RF lenses.

I wouldn't. I'd have likely had a set of Sony lenses which aren't too bad and switching would have been too expensive to me.
Same with my current Canon lenses - they were holding me back from switching to Sony. Now with the R5, switching is even less practical.

Still the A7rIV is/will be a rival to the R5.

Upvote 0
All jokes aside, the Sony is what I'd consider a great high resolution photography camera with some video capabilities thrown in. I suppose if resolution was your priority, the Sony is what you'd consider first. By every other metric the R5 equals or leaves it in the dust.

Resolution and most likely dynamic range. I doubt Canon will do better in terms of the dynamic range.
There's a big overlap in usage scenarios between the R5 and the A7rIV, so they're rivals. Despite all the hype around 8K, very small percentage of R5 users will shoot 8K on regular basis.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Resolution and most likely dynamic range. I doubt Canon will do better in terms of the dynamic range.
There's a big overlap in usage scenarios between the R5 and the A7rIV, so they're rivals. Despite all the hype around 8K, very small percentage of R5 users will shoot 8K on regular basis.
4K120p will get a lot of play.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
4K120p will get a lot of play.

Since 2016, I've had maybe 1 or 2 hours of video footage in total shot on my 5DIV. If your focus is videography, the R5 will obviously be superior to the A7rIV.
If your focus is photography, the answer will not be so obvious.

Upvote 0
The point was about a competitor to the R5. The R5 is at least announced by Canon.

R5 is not the competitor to the A74, but the R5 will leave it with only resolution as an advantage.

I wouldn't...

Which is why I said "if I", not "if you" :)

Still the A7rIV is/will be a rival to the R5.

Only if you see it that way. Like I said, the only advantage over the R5 will be the resolution. I see them in different classes, with the R5 below the A7R4. That's why I mentioned the R5s/R5sR, as it will be the resolution-based flagship for Canon just like the A7R4 is for Sony.

Upvote 0
I'm a hybrid shooter. So if I had a A7R4, I would be downgrading from Sony's superior 8 bit 4.2.0 internal recording to Canon's crappy 10 bit 4.2.2. I would be sacrificing the glorious Sony 4K30p for the Canon's crippled no crop up to 8K30p or 4K120p with working autofocus in all modes.

Exactly.

The A7R4 is only an R5 competitor when it comes to mega-pickles.

Upvote 0
Only if you see it that way. Like I said, the only advantage over the R5 will be the resolution. I see them in different classes, with the R5 below the A7R4. That's why I mentioned the R5s/R5sR, as it will be the resolution-based flagship for Canon just like the A7R4 is for Sony.
Hmm I think they're the same class. Same market segment and (likely) similar price. A7rIII has some 42mp, is it a different class than its successor A7rIV?

Let's revisit this after the announcement or after the first DR/noise tests. I think Canon is going to surprise us.

As in this thread above, DxOMark rated 1DxIII's sensor quite low which worries me a bit, but photonstophotos shows it in between the 5DIV and A7RIV.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Cha... Mark III,Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Sony ILCE-7RM4

My prediction is, the R5 performance will be around 1DXIII. Which will be great as I'm going to preorder it (if there's no surprises in its price tag). More realistically, it'll be close to 5DIV which will also be ok. There's no way it'll be better than A7rIV.
Actually I'm worried more about banding, hopefully they'll fix it. I've seen no complains on banding in 1DXIII, but the banding is still reported in the R.

Upvote 0
Hmm I think they're the same class. Same market segment and (likely) similar price. A7rIII has some 42mp, is it a different class than its successor A7rIV?

As in this thread above, DxOMark rated 1DxIII's sensor quite low which worries me a bit, but photonstophotos shows it in between the 5DIV and A7RIV.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Sony ILCE-7RM4

My prediction is, the R5 performance will be around 1DXIII. Which will be great as I'm going to preorder it (if there's no surprises in its price tag). More realistically, it'll be close to 5DIV which will also be ok. There's no way it'll be better than A7rIV.
Actually I'm worried more about banding, hopefully they'll fix it. I've seen no complains on banding in 1DXIII, but the banding is still reported in the R.
The dynamic range of the 5div has been very adequate for my use as a fashion photographer, but perhaps landscape buffs will desire something more. If the R5 can surpass the R, then I will be happy enough to order one too..

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016

That's how Canon have historically always got people. The camera is irrelevant, the glass is forever. I can't wait to get the RF glass. Having played with it a bit, the control ring especially is a welcome addition, and the image quality is mind blowing. The rate they're pumping out lenses too, Canon know it. Reading between the lines, if they're confident in putting 8K into their stills cameras, the quality is there. It also makes you wonder what the eventual RF film cameras will be capable of.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I switched a few months ago from the 1DXmkII to the A7RIV.
I'm primarily a video shooter (although hybrid) and I find the results I get with the A7RIV to be superior to the 1DX. Now with the announcement of the EOS R5, I feel like I want to get back to Canon, but there are two things that the Sony do for me that I'm afraid the EOSR5 won't.

1. First, the size of the lenses. I shoot with a 24GM1.4, 35FE1.8 and 85FE1.8. They are so small compared to their EF/RF equivalent that's it makes it a pleasure to go out and shoot with. But that, I could overcome considering the superior quality of the RF lenses (it's my opinion).

2. The second thing is something that will make it very difficult for me to come back to Canon: it's the autofocus motor noise in video. I don't like to use an extra mic. The audio of the camera is enough for what I do. With the Sony lenses, its completely silent! with the canon, it's noisy that it makes it unusable. For me that's a real issue, and probably the only reason why I'm not selling all my Sony gear on eBay ahead of the R5 release.....

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
The R6 only being 20mp is so frustrating. I have been waiting nearly 8 years for a meaningful 6D upgrade and even in 2020, it looks unlikely. For an 3-4 year difference I would expect increased dynamic range, higher resolution, IBIS and good quality 4K video. Finally 8 years on Canon achieve most of it but 20mp isn't enough. I guess Canon spec a $2000 camera just short of what's expected in order to force buyers into buying their $4000 that "has it all".

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Sony ILCE-7RM4

My prediction is, the R5 performance will be around 1DXIII. Which will be great as I'm going to preorder it (if there's no surprises in its price tag).
Hmm, I'm wondering where's the $2,500 price difference between the R5 and the 1DX Mark III coming from...Where are they taking shortcuts?
I mean, on paper at least, the R5 is better in almost every aspect.
It wouldn't affect me because I lost my patience waiting for the R5 and I got the 1D Mark III because I mostly shoot birds and BIF in particular.
I don't like it's just 20Mp; 45Mp would have been better but the AF is pretty solid. I would actually be surprised if R5 would be that good.

Upvote 0