New Firmware coming to the Canon EOS R

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I hope it’s for the RP too. They need to fix the auto focus issue where it locks on to things behind your subject if your subject doesn’t fill the focus square. Noticed often when trying to focus on a birds eye. Small head doesn’t fill the box, and it’ll focus on a branch or grass behind the bird that’s visible in the box.

It focuses on the place of highest contrast within the active AF area. If the stuff behind your subject is more contrasty than your subject, it will always focus on the more contrasty area. This is nothing new. Canon cameras have always done this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It focuses on the place of highest contrast within the active AF area. If the stuff behind your subject is more contrasty than your subject, it will always focus on the more contrasty area. This is nothing new. Canon cameras have always done this.

Yeah, well.... fix it Canon! Know what I want to focus on and focus on it.

Or introduce a single point autofocus and use all those 4,000 - 6,000 autofocus points that they claim in marketing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Great news if you're buying an R, not so great if you've got one to trade in.

The best reason why I got the R was to use RF lenses. Firmware improvements have improved AF significantly, and I now usually opt for the R instead of the 5D4 for most instances. For travel (battery life and GPS) and sports (easier to track in the VF and higher frame rate), I still prefer the 5D4. I'd love to get a R5 to replace the 5D4 and keep the R as the backup. That will also allow me to sell some EF glass that I've kept because of the 5D4. The used prices for the R and RP will fall quickly because the R5 and R6 look to be so much better and not like the 5D4 vs. 5D3 increment. When the R came out, it produced similar IQ to the 5D4 and not significantly better, so it was always destined to fall significantly once the next generation R bodies came out... but the L RF glass is something else. So I bought the R, and for that price difference I had about a 2-year head start on using RF glass and got higher trade-in values on my EF glass.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, well.... fix it Canon! Know what I want to focus on and focus on it.

Or introduce a single point autofocus and use all those 4,000 - 6,000 autofocus points that they claim in marketing.
That is pretty much what the face or object tracking mode does as long as you trust that it is going to focus on the right thing.
So just switch to that when needed and you can also select your object with the touch and drag AF.

Upvote 0
... I now usually opt for the R instead of the 5D4 for most instances.
Same here, though I honestly haven't touched the 5Div since I got the R--except to pull its battery! Same image quality and all kinds of usability improvements--focusing ease especially. The DSLR is on the chopping block for sure, but the R will be a travel camera and backup to the R5 until I see what a possible R5s brings.....

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I'm one of the rare ones but I actually don't mind the touch bar. Also I find missing joystick isn't so bad as with having long thumbs the whole touch screen absolute af point works quicker for me than a stick. What I do miss is a rear wheel around the d-pad and really don't get why the af button is so off the way it is as muscle memory on that still throws me to this day at times.
I use it for zoom in to 5x and 10x on manual focus. It works perfectly for that and it doesn't cause any issues if you hit it by mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Does anyone love the EOSR? I like mine and am using it more and more but I find the things like the lack of the thumbwheel and the touchscreen drag focus frustrating, the more I use it the more I like it but I don't" love it" the way I love some of my other cameras. the touchbar is a great idea but it doesn't work that well in practice. not sure what firmware updates will do to make me love it. that said it has things I did not expect to love, that really are great like the flippy screen. The RF glass is wat better than I thought it would be in comparison to the EF Hoping the R5 will be a tool I will love using. Interestingly I did a little experiment, i took the same hike 3 weeks in a row each week I brought a different camera system with me to see how it changed the way I looked at things. Week one it was the EOSr with a 100 macro EF, 24-105 RF, and 50mm 1.2 ef. Week 2 I brought a fuji XT-3 and some primes. Week 3 I brought a Leica Q. the ease of use of the Leica q and the simpler shooting experience made it the one I enjoyed shooting the most. It was the most limited and in most of my professional projects it's useless but the shooting experience can't be beaten.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does anyone love the EOSR? I like mine and am using it more and more but I find the things like the lack of the thumbwheel and the touchscreen drag focus frustrating, the more I use it the more I like it but I don't" love it" the way I love some of my other cameras. the touchbar is a great idea but it doesn't work that well in practice. not sure what firmware updates will do to make me love it. that said things I did not expect to love really are great like the flippy screen and the RF glass is wat better than I thought it would be in comparison to the EF Hoping the R5 will be a tool I will love using. Interesting I did a little experiment, i took the same hike 3 weeks in a row each week I brought a different camera system with me to see how it changed the way I looked at things. Week one it was the EOSr with a 100 macro EF, 24-105 RF and 50mm 1.2 ef. Week 2 I brought a fuji xt-3 and some primes. Week 3 I brought a Leica Q. the ease of use of the Leica q and the simpler shooting experience made it the one I enjoyed shooting the most. It was the most limited and in most of my professional projects it's useless but the shooting experience can't be beaten.

When camera came to market I was a bit angry with Canon. Camera didn´t seemed good enough...Then I didn´t resist and bought it with the RF 35mm F1.8. And boy...I like the camera. I don´t love it, because it really has some flaws...but i really like to work with her! Honestly...touchbar to me is like those things...is good, but...not that good. I use it and it works, but I do prefer the joystick instead. What bugs me more in this camera is the lag between photos...Also the ergonomics in the buttons. I use back button focus and the button is way off to the right. But ot be honest, it is a great camera and I do like the images it produces. In video...not that great but paired with the atomos...Voilá! It produces great video!

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Does anyone love the EOSR? I like mine and am using it more and more but I find the things like the lack of the thumbwheel and the touchscreen drag focus frustrating, the more I use it the more I like it but I don't" love it" the way I love some of my other cameras. the touchbar is a great idea but it doesn't work that well in practice. not sure what firmware updates will do to make me love it. that said it has things I did not expect to love, that really are great like the flippy screen. The RF glass is wat better than I thought it would be in comparison to the EF Hoping the R5 will be a tool I will love using. Interestingly I did a little experiment, i took the same hike 3 weeks in a row each week I brought a different camera system with me to see how it changed the way I looked at things. Week one it was the EOSr with a 100 macro EF, 24-105 RF, and 50mm 1.2 ef. Week 2 I brought a fuji XT-3 and some primes. Week 3 I brought a Leica Q. the ease of use of the Leica q and the simpler shooting experience made it the one I enjoyed shooting the most. It was the most limited and in most of my professional projects it's useless but the shooting experience can't be beaten.
I think it's a great but underestimated camera. Love it?
That's a big word but I'll use the other one: Like it!
Sure, it has its flaws but I can work around many of them. Since I got the EOS-R, the 5D Mark IV sits comfortably in one of my photo bags.
For me, the more challenging the subject is, the more I like it. I kid you not, even for BIF, although I have the 1DX Mark III, I'll grab the EOS-R quite often.
It has 10 extra megapixels, the AF is great but the EVF sucks for this kind of action.
And with the current prices, it's a no-brainer!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
It’s good to hear the EOS R is getting a little firmware update and that Canon will be continuing with the current model into 2021.

Since the big improvement in AF via an earlier firmware fix, I’ve enjoyed using my EOS R particularly with the RF 24-70 2.8 and RF 35 1.8 and for those mega-pixel lovers 30mp is a descent number of mega pixels.

Another price drop will make the R an appealing camera to many who may be buying into the R range for the very first time and with more affordable RF glass on its way this will surely help lens and body sales.

Upvote 0
I'd love to see an R Mk II with same MP, IBIS, Dual Card Slots and No-Crop 4K. That would be THE perfect camera for me. I don't need an R5 with 8K and 45 MP, but I'm feeling kinda uncomfortable with the 20 MP of the R6. Hopefully, Canon will bring something on the way!
Pretty much my thoughts exactly... If the R6 is actually only 20MP, that's just not cutting it.

Upvote 0
Not surprising whatsoever on the price drop. It only makes perfect sense to do so given the new bodies will have a major improvement in tech with IBIS. Frees up the $2000-$2500 price point for the R6 and the RP coming in at $899 rounds out the lineup quite superbly.
I still think the R6 will be cheaper than 2000 for the base kit with the 4.5-7.1 24-105 lens. I suspect MSRP for that kit will be 1999 USD, and that the f4 lens will bring it up to 2599. (Maybe one of their "instant rebate" discounts on the lens to drop it to that price).

Canon has an opportunity to lock in a lot of Pro and semi-pro users into their new RF line of lenses, and a lot of prosumers who do buy at least a couple of lenses in addition to the kit will purchase more RF glass. I don't think the next line after this in a few years will be as aggressive - I think this will just be to get as many people locked into RF as possible.

If the rumors about the pricepoint of the R5 is true, then I think holding the cost of the R6 to MSRP of the 6dII is not out of the realm of possibility, especially when they now have a cheap standard zoom 24-105 to package it with.

Upvote 0