Recent content by Act444

1. A

RF 24-70 f2.8 L IS vs EF 24-70 f2.8 LII - both on EOS R

General theme seems to be (generally speaking): EF lens - (slightly) better in the center RF lens - better in the corners Given the MILC system of AF going out to the edges of the frame, trading some center sharpness for improved corners seems like a reasonable trade-off.
  2. A

The new 5D Mark V and R version.

For the DSLR, I think I'm getting to a point where the 5D4/5DS feature set is about as much camera as I need or desire. With the 5D4 replacement, the only thing I'd desire would be perhaps more resolving power from the sensor - i.e., weaken (or remove altogether) the AA filter. Of course...
  3. A

Images and specifications for the upcoming RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS & DM-E100

Wow. Almost 400g lighter than the EF version. That's significant. Having a pair of EF IIs, looking ahead I could possibly see letting one of them go in favor of the RF version. Not both though!
  4. A

The end of an era? Review site Imaging Resource nearing its end

Heard about this a couple days ago on DPReview. Sad to hear about this...I really enjoyed their in-depth, fair reviews and product photos. Back in 2000 when I was exploring going digital with my photography, they were one of 4 sites (the other 3 being DPReview under Phil Askey, Steve's Digicams...
  5. A

Here’s the upcoming Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM zooming in and out

One option to get around this restriction in the meantime is the EF 200mm 2.8 II. Lacks IS, but is <6 in, and better yet, is BLACK! Much lighter as well. Of course you also lose the zoom flexibility...but if reach is mostly what is needed... I used it once for this very purpose (on a 5D3) and...
  6. A

The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

I think it is possible that both these cameras will end up being similar in the way that the M6 Mark II and EOS 90D are...
  7. A

This post, 100%! A couple years ago I shot this poorly lit show at night. Very dark. ISO 10,000 needed at f2.8 to freeze action. An f4 lens would have been pretty much unusable here. In the right circumstances, it can make all the difference in the world.
  8. A

Another thing I notice - the amount of zoom twisting needed to get from 70 to 200 on the RF version seems significantly longer than on the EF version...one of the latter’s strengths in my opinion. Not sure how I feel about that.
  9. A

Like I said in the other thread, it extends quite a bit, which is not surprising. Looks to be (at least) as long as the EF version when fully extended. That said, its more compact profile once retracted could make a significant difference when transporting it. There have been times where I’ve...
  10. A

Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

Thanks for sharing. Looks like it extends quite a bit (not surprising).
  11. A

Advice required on downsizing gear

Sounds like you'd be happy with the M6 II and the 18-150. I use the original M6 with that lens and in the appropriate situations it's quite handy. Compact enough to fit in a fanny pack. However, be prepared for the tradeoff in IQ. It will be a clear step down compared to a 6D with the lenses you...
  12. A

5Ds Mark II and hate for mirrorless

Yeah, I’ve used my 5D4 on some ice shows in the past and the lighting was so bad that even at 2.8 I needed 10,000 ISO to stop the action. Fortunately the shots are surprisingly usable at that setting (although nowhere near optimal). I used to use a 7D for the same purpose and on that, 3200 ISO...
  13. A

Here is a short list of unreleased Canon gear from certification agencies

One of the “interchangeable lenses” has to be the new RF 70-200.
  14. A

Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM sample gallery

It is... Don't think a design like this would have worked on the EF system - the OVF view would be obscured as well. Not sure what the advantage of doing it like this is TBH. __________ I had the 28-300L for a little while and used it with a 6D (20MP). It was super convenient, but it was...
  15. A

Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Thanks, I was hoping someone would report on the delay/blackout post-shot. Great to hear about the other improvements though.