Recent content by ahsanford

1. ahsanford

Patent: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 with apodization filter

I have been summoned. - A
  2. ahsanford

So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

Yeah, then there are the cool things they might do someday that EF likely never could. For instance, an RF 150-600 f/5.6-8 IS STM could now happen. That would only require a 75mm (more likely 77mm) front element, be delightfully packable in a more standard camera bag and possibly come in...
  3. ahsanford

RF Lens 'Roadmap' surfaces at PR

Thx. We should lock this thread, then. (how do I do that in the new system?) - A
  4. ahsanford

Dialing in sensitivity for that is tantamount to dialing in a very tiny analog joystick, or making a spherical shower faucet (hot/cold and pressure on one hemispherical interface) with a very very tiny stem coming off of it to make fine adjustments. Doable? Yes. Doable to a sensitivity level...
  5. ahsanford

And for some reason, no one got bent out of shape that the sensor was somewhat recycled from the A7R2 like some are now with the 5D4 sensor being 'old' to some. :unsure: - A
  6. ahsanford

Not surprised those digs have surfaced. But they largely shelled EOS R on day one based on what it didn't have, but most who used it seemed to really like what it did have that typically doesn't top the spec lists: Peppy VF and AF performance No (or far less than expected?) VF blackout...
  7. ahsanford

It's just that Canon is somewhat shrewdly taking the spec-sheet lovers (no IBIS, single card, cropped 4k) and 'mirrorless is all about being small' people and :poop:ing all over their dreams with a different take: mirrorless can do more than your SLR in specific ways. As predicted by yours...
  8. ahsanford

EOS R + lenses now posted at Camera Size web tool

(I love my 24-70 f/4L IS.) Personally -- recognizing that I'm in the minority vs. a lot of 24-longer folks out there -- I'd love to see a 24-50 f/variable IS USM and see just how small Canon could make it. I bet they could get that down to the size of the RF 35 Macro (perhaps a little bigger...
  9. ahsanford

But this is how you sell a mirrorless system from a 'first glance' perspective. Smaller and quicker and 1:2 macro. Almost makes STM and FBW design worth it. - A
  10. ahsanford

If there were any doubts about the new 50L being an old optical design, let's put that to rest straight away: It would appear that Canon (at least with the RF mount) has 'gone big' per the Otus/Art 50-ish lenses of late: - A
  11. ahsanford

Go to town building comparisons, people! https://camerasize.com/compact/#799.787,ha,t - A
  12. ahsanford

RF Lens 'Roadmap' surfaces at PR

https://photorumors.com/2018/09/11/canon-full-frame-mirrorless-rf-lens-roadmap-eos-r/ Apparently, this states that standard / wide / telephoto f/2.8 zooms are on the horizon without a fixed timeframe or a clear read on a commitment to IS. I don't think it would be a flying leap to presume...
  13. ahsanford

Come play with the Canon EOS R RAW files

Bill Claff has updated PTP to include EOS R now: http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm#Canon%20EOS%20R (EOS R is the very last Canon EOS entry on the list, right before the Powershots come up) Note there is a disclaimer for the Nikon Z7 (also listed there): "The anomolies at ISO...
  14. ahsanford

Come play with the Canon EOS R RAW files

Because it can do things the 5D5 cannot. Even if the 5D5 gets a tilt-screen and the EOS R fancy control bar, it will not get the following from the EOS R platform: A $2299 asking price Have AF points all over the frame when using the viewfinder Have a truly silent shutter you can use through...
  15. ahsanford

This is a key point -- when the number of AF points explodes like this, discrete joystick moves (e.g. left left left left up up) become quite inefficient. This is an area where Canon has to either have a very dumbed down AF grid for course joystick changes vs. the fidelity/sensitivity/speed the...