Recent content by bgoyette

1. B

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Answering my own question. Canon has a cursory video covering the RAW video output. Would appear its outputting an image sequence packaged as a CRM that gets processed in a new version of DPP for output as an image sequence along with a sidecar WAV file. Strangely, the export window doesn't show...
  2. B

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

On the video side, a couple of things are curious. Canon refers to Canon Log and 12 stops of DR...which is fine for an 8-bit codec, but then goes on to refer to 4:2:2 10 bit and 12 bit raw. Wondering why we're seeing Canon Log instead of Log 3 or Log 2, which are the ones designed for 10-12bit...
  3. B

An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

This really doesn't make any sense...they already have an adapter, and no matter the flange distance, or the craziness of a movable sensor, there would still be the issue of the mount itself, which would need an adapter, one way or the other....and they already have that. This would imply a...
  4. B

Is there still hope that we see in-body stabilization in the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III?

I'm wondering if it would be more of a video focused Electronic IBIS similar to what it being used on the new C500 Mark II. This could be added to "any" ILC without significant hardware issues...as floating sensor IBIS has normally been limited to mirrorless systems. There are people arguing...
  5. B

Patent: Canon RF mount modular CINE camera appears in drawings

Given the the 2 XLR ports on the back, the CinemaEos style (side mounted) dials and buttons, the handle, cheese plate and the CinemaEos/Arri rosette. I think this is very safely what it purports to be - a video camera. I think it's interesting that they are using the LP-E6 battery. That might...
  6. B

Patent: Here is Canon’s IBIS unit

The GFX 50 doesn't have IBIS, but from experience, IBIS on the GFX100 is pretty much a miracle. When you get in to sensors 50mp and above, getting sharp images handheld, or even on a tripod, can be tricky. I've gotten decently consistent sharp images, handheld with the GFX100 down to 1/.5xSS...
  7. B

Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II

With the updated specs, this is seeming more like the C700FF Lite with the biggest feature being internal RAW recording. (the CR specs are a little iffy on whether 5.9k full frame is recorded internally to the CFExpress or not). If so, then this would repair some of the complaints (mine) about...
  8. B

We’ve received the pricing for the new RF lenses

I'm forgetting, which EF 24-70 2.8L IS is it that you're comparing this to? :)
  9. B

Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II information [CR1]

As Netflix is a major purchaser of independent productions and contracts out the production of a number of it's own properties, they have camera standards, similar to other networks like BBC, Discovery, natGeo, etc. Because it's become such a behemoth in the industry, it's camera specs are...
  10. B

Is the Canon EOS C500 Mark II finally coming in 2019? [CR1]

Not sure they've sold a single C700 FF. Never seen one outside of NAB or CineGear. And I'm not sure characterizing the C500 as a failure is correct either. It was actually a pretty popular B-cam and was used on several features because of it's low light ability. And there were a lot of mid level...
  11. B

Unreleased Canon Cinema EOS camera used for 8K capture at WWDC

...and the memory (256 gb vs 1.5tb) ...and the video cards (you would need 8 of yours to equal the memory and bandwidth of the 2 Vega II duo cards in the 50k Mac... and your beloved thread ripper board that can only handle 256gb of memory.... and...and..and. Look, like you, I have no need for...
  12. B

Sure. Although I don't know how he gets a $19k machine when the RAM alone spec'd in the Verge article is $18k (couldn't find it cheaper). Sure he specs 64gb modules that save him some dough, (but not that much even if he can come up with enough slots to bank the 1.5tb in the verge...
  13. B

Again with the monitor. The Dell you quoted is a 400nit SDR model that uses the same backlight technology as the 10 year old NEC collecting dust next to me. It is not a reference monitor, it is not HDR. It is not XDR (honestly, Apple is asking for it with this one). There is no LCD panel that...
  14. B

Your predisposition for all caps, and propensity for footnotes that include amazon notwithstanding. Please put together a build with the same components and I/o contained in the fictitious apple machine. Let’s see how much you save. A general rule in this industry is that if a component costs...
  15. B

Glad your happy with a completely different set of components. :-) The referenced Hypothetical machine included specific hardware and manufacturers pricing for the components. Harry’s machine listed different, lesser components. If you can build the same machine for less, you should give it a...