Recent content by David - Sydney

1. D

Patent: Lots of small, light and fast EF prime lenses

Although I tend to use my 14mm Samyang for astro, the 8-15mm fisheye can be fun even though it is f4 :)
  2. D

Patent: Lots of small, light and fast EF prime lenses

yes, walking works for close up but not for astro/wide angle nightscape photography. 200mm-> 300mm is 4 degrees difference in angle of view but 14-16mm is 7 degrees.... fitting in a lot more sky/stars. Sigma is the only 14mm f/1.8 available and is ~USD1600. Be good to have some competition...
  3. D

What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

I am looking for a 5Dv to replace my 5Diii in the same body format. Much as the R family looks exciting, I have an underwater housing that fits 5Diii/iv/SR and a 5Dv is also likely to fit the housing whcih is worth the same as a new body! I'm very happy with my current set of EF L lens. The 5Div...
  4. D

Lexar announces the world’s first 1TB SD card

I would never use a 1TB card but... what about storage for 8K video files in-camera? Dual slots for security Cards were kept in the camera to minimise damage and reformatted after transfer to PC and backup 8K files are minimum 50mps (compressed) as per recent articles about streaming 8k video...
  5. D

5 axis IBIS coming to next Canon EOS R series camera [CR2]

If I understand IS correctly, current in-lens IS is for pan and tilt (angular movement, equivalent to yaw and pitch) only. 5 axis IBIS also includes roll (rotation), X and Y. Simplest implementation is to add roll/X/Y to already stabilised lens and turn on 5 axis for non-IS lens. Best of both...
  6. D

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

The adapter glass size will be small (compared to front element filters) and should be good quality but I am yet to see any reviews of the adapters (CPL/VarND). Would be great to see if the wide angle CPL issues with blue sky are reduced using rear element filters vs front element. One less...
  7. D

Canon Working on New Lens Technology

Any new lens will definitely include neutrino technology!
  8. D

Three Canon Lens Masters Pick Their Favourite Lenses

The 70-200 f2.8L USM IS Mark II is my favourite for sharpness and focus speed but I use the 16-35mm f4L the most (landscape/waves). 14mm and 50mm f/1.4 are great when I have special needs for them. Hard to beat the focal range of the 24-105mm f4 for general walk-arounds.
  9. D

Adobe Raising Prices on Creative Cloud Subscriptions in UK & Sweden

Agreed.... 4 years ago (2013), it was cheaper to pay to fly from Australia to the US and buy CS6 in the US than it was to pay locally! That got reconsidered just prior to a government IT pricing review (MS/Adobe/etc)...
  10. D

Patent: Electronic Curved Sensor

Could a bendable sensor be able to reduce vignetting on current lens - especially for wide angle? Would a body with a curveable sensor be limited by its resolvable resolution ie lower pixel count as getting a bendable sensor relax into a perfectly flat default position may be challenging.
  11. D

Another Mention of a New EF 70-200mm Lens [CR2]

From an amateur observer.... could Canon up the aperture to say f/2.5 with a 82mm filter size with the other "small" mods (IS/coatings etc) and then significantly lead the market and justify an increased price?
  12. D

Canon Photography Series to Run Globally on Netflix

Series 1 screened last year in Australia on Nat Geo channel/Foxtel. Stunning series - especially with Peter Eastway (http://www.betterphotography.com/) in South Georgia/Antarctica! Peter was also a judge for the recent Focus awards...
  13. D

Canon competition to D610+14-24 f/2.8

Hi Guys. Appreciate your comments and thoughts. To answer some questions.. I don't publish my sports/karate/indoor event shots but do share them with my friends etc via drop box. The AF is important from that perspective but the 7D/70-200mm (sometimes with 1.4x) would still manage this using my...
  14. D

Canon competition to D610+14-24 f/2.8

Not clickbait... hear me out... I have been a decades long user of Canon. Currently 7D/10-22mm, 24-105 f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8II 7D is wearing out and I am getting to its limits (IMHO). So... what to replace it with. Night/astro/landscape is where I mostly use my 10-22mm lens and publish. Looking...