Recent content by David - Sydney

1. D

More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

and subsequently also generate less heat which is always going to be a challenge to dissipate. That alone could be the driving factor for new sensor/digic requirement specifications. A new battery would be the least of the issues of a new body just like changing card requirements is not seen as...
  2. D

Canon Third Quarter 2019 Financials

I did upgrade my 5Diii to a second hand 5Div recently. Waiting for a 5Dv... and especially some reduction from initial pricing was going to be a long wait. The changeover cost (with 5Diii sale) is reasonable given the years of usage and it is definitely an improvement. The bump in resolution is...
  3. D

Canon Third Quarter 2019 Financials

Although Sony amortises their R&D/ camera by keeping them on sale (forever?), they are investing heavily for marketshare to release new models every 2 years or so. Cross business unit sales of sensors is internal cashflow but surely their P&L for cameras must be negative for some time. I don't...
  4. D

The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

FIlters can be added either to the lens within a housing or wet filters applied outside of the housing. Internal filters such as close up or dichroic "excitation filter" plus a yellow "barrier filter" for fluorescence night diving. Wet filters are normally for macro or super-macro options and...
  5. D

Canon has only specified "dust and weather resistance" previously for 7D/5D/1D series to my knowledge. "Fully water tight" is a far different category whether snorkeling depths of ~15m... where there are various fixed lens products rated without additional housings (up to Leica X-U @~USD3k) To...
  6. D

Will Canon follow Sony (shock - horror!) and keep the existing R and the upgraded one in their product line? The OP mentioned Rii but this may not be a replacement. Rs (high mp version replacing 5Ds/r) 2019 announcement? Rx (sports model coming out with 1Dxiii. Weather sealing/dual slot) early...
  7. D

Dual micro SD to SD card adaptor for redundancy. Anyone have industry contacts for this one?

Can’t see camera OEMs writing firmware for this. The adaptor must look like a normal sd card but write to 2 micro sd cards Just like the pro duo adaptor. We can think of a similar situation as RAID0 configuration but drastically simplified. The micro sd cards would need to be formatted first...
  8. D

Dual micro SD to SD card adaptor for redundancy. Anyone have industry contacts for this one?

a Micro sd card wouldn’t be removed From the adaptor unless there was a failure. Even then the other micro sd card would still work until you are back in a reasonable environment for replacement. The sd adaptor could remain in place for ever in theory if you were transferring files via usb (or...
  9. D

A Agreed... but the 5Div already has dual slot. You could always have 2 x dual micro SD for 4x redundancy though. A camera with a single slot can only point to the card in it. A dual micro SD adaptor would appear to the camera as being a single card. A dual micro SD adaptor would default to...
  10. D

they are certainly small cf SD cards. I would suggest using a separate card reader or single micro->SD card adaptor for read back PC. Then again writing to the dual cards but read would be from one card (eg for reviewing shots). Which card would be the read one is interesting... In my 5Div with...
  11. D

I posted this deep in another thread but thought it made some sense to add as a new one.... Micro SD cards are harder to handle but you can get UHS II and 512GB versions so technically no performance hurdle. Would you buy a dual card adaptor for your single slot camera if redundancy is...
  12. D

Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

TO To add... I wasn't the first to think of this solution. A couple of threads discussing the option below. Summary is: - Possible to do technically. - Additional points of failure but would solve the failed card scenario. - Could increase the latency. - Could be much more complex/power etc if...
  13. D

Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM, RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and other accessories will be announced soon

Outside of the box thinking... is there any reason why there aren't options for micro SD cards instead of full sized SD cards? I get that they are harder to handle but you can get UHS II versions if they are really required so technically there shouldn't be a difference. 2 should fit in the...
  14. D

Not sure that this will happen... the 5Div did not drop in price once the R was released. Although there might be some cannibalisation the production cost of the EF version would not have changed and Canon will try to maximise profit where possible. Some will prefer the EF version to avoid any...
  15. D

An RF mount L macro lens will be announced alongside the high-megapixel EOS R camera

I have a little macro experience with my 100mm f/2.8 but would not be considered an expert but a focus rail slider is a pain. Could a zoom macro be used with focus (and zoom) stacking? Zoom avoids the rail slider and would end up being working from on tripod position. Would certainly be unique...