Recent content by davidhfe

1. D

Canon EOS 90D full specifications

Isn't that a like saying super 8 is more cinematic than super 35? How many major films have ever been natively captured at 2k 24p? Why aren't studios yelling at ARRI for making an Alexa that doesn't look 'remotely cinematic?' Anyways, unlike 30p conversion to 24p (which does have actual...
  2. D

Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266240/global-revenue-of-rim-since-2004/ I’m being glib here as I’m on the train, but Neuro, you’re smarter than this. RIM is an extreme example, but unit sales are sometimes a lagging indicator—not a leading one. Nobody shoots Minoltas anymore.
  3. D

Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

My expectation/hope is that the RS will exceed the 5D4's frame rate at full resolution. The 5D4 is, honestly, pretty slow by current standards. I wouldn't expect it to top 10fps at 60mp or anything, but 8fps would be 480mp/s, in the ballpark as the 420mp/s of the A7R3, which is coming up on 2...
  4. D

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Sure. And what's the difference between the 1DX2's 14 and 16fps modes? The latter can only be done with live view. Look, if folks love their OVFs I'm not gonna argue with 'em. But the mechanics of articulating a mirror up and down 14 times a second is a huge limiting factor, especially when you...
  5. D

Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

No, they want some semblance of competitiveness (adjusting for full frame/crop) vs what's offered at $1399 on the 26mp XT3. Edit: Did I say XT3? I meant the $899 24mp XT-30.
  6. D

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Autofocus and frame rate. I am in 100% agreement that it is not there yet on AF, but a 36mp DPAF sensor is simply going to allow the camera to make better focus decisions than a PDAF module + 300k metering sensor. Yes, it's a lot of processing needed. No, TI (or whomever supplies Digic these...
  7. D

They will care when they google the $1300 camera they're about to buy and see a bunch of "CANON FAIL" videos on youtube. This release has played right into the worst narratives about canon at a time they should be crushing it. DPAF is a killer features for mirrorless and instead of making the...
  8. D

Boiling those features down to "it's just readout speed" has some truth, but it's really reductive. It's the chip architecture, having the fab capability to do it and do it cost effectively, the processor and god knows what interconnects and then actually implementing the features (like eye...
  9. D

Sony's ergonomics/reliability are catching up faster than Canon is catching up in terms of features. I used an A7S for a shoot and was instantly appalled by the feel. A few years later, I played around with an A9 and was impressed. Sony now has a solid stables of lenses that cover 80%+ of what...
  10. D

The problem with the "buy something else if this doesn't meet your needs" argument is that for better or worse, the big time influencers right now all give a lot more extra weight to video because that's how they're reaching their audience. They see their one missing feature an upload a video...
  11. D

Thoughts on the Canon EOS R roadmap

It could also be a way to build up stock of what are likely to be popular lenses once a more "Pro" R model is released. But yeah, it was likely easier for Canon to say "we are serious" with lenses (which they have continued to lead on) than with bodies. The good but not "groundbreaking" R +...
  12. D

Canon printer refresh roadmap?

Agree on the quality part--would just love to have roll/pano support. Not enough to drive me to the P800 though :)
  13. D

Canon printer refresh roadmap?

I've been seriously considering a Pro-1000 for the last few months, but it occurred to me it's going on three years old. Has there been anything in the rumor mill about an update? What's the normal life span for the pro printers?
  14. D

A hypothesis concerning the RF mount

Exactly this—there is zero need to add a bunch of moving parts or awkwardly designed lenses to address something that is effectively a non issue. One of the big plusses of mirrorless is that you're removing hardware complexity and putting it into software: No half silvered mirror with an AF...
  15. D

Tony Northrup Predicts The Upcoming Full Frame Mirrorless Offerings From Both Canon and Nikon

I keep reading this but honestly, I don't understand where it's coming from. What spec is so outrageous that Canon can't offer it?