Recent content by dtaylor

1. D

The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

When ETTR first hit sites like LL, any benefits related to noise or shadow push were mentioned as a side note if they were mentioned at all. It was all about tonal separation, which is an observable benefit.
  2. D

I don't think the ADC spits out a unique digital value for every single-electron increase. ETTR is a thing precisely because it maximizes the tonal steps as there are more steps dividing the highlight stops than the shadow stops. (Luminous Landscape has a page somewhere explaining this.) Clark...
  3. D

The highest ranked cameras at DxO have sub-14ev DR scores in their screen test. Only the print test scores exceed 14ev. We know their print scores come from downsampling (which is valid methodology). But it would appear that today's best sensors, in terms of base ISO DR, would not exceed 14-bits...
  4. D

We'll know things are bad when Congress demands troops at Nikon or a regime change at Canon.
  5. D

That's been explained more than once by more than one person in this thread. I admit I had a hard time visualizing it at first to and, years ago, initially questioned the different DR ratings for screen and print at DxO. But it's an observable fact. You're right that for pictorial photography...
  6. D

Wait...we were talking about the 5D mark V? :oops: Well then...it better have 20 stops of DR (as measured in an 8x10 print) and 24p video or CANON. WILL. BE. DOOMED.
  7. D

I don't know how Canon sees the M, but the original M killed any future P&S purchases for me. It's just as small and convenient as most P&S bodies but with far better IQ. Perhaps that is in fact the reason for the M's success. Cell phones are killing the low end of the P&S market. Perhaps...
  8. D

Note that I am not defending any particular site or measurement methodology. In general I am highly critical of the way DR tests are presented and the way they are interpreted by the average person. I'm only pointing out that by reducing image size you can in fact increase dynamic range. This is...
  9. D

I normally look at images and not at individual pixels. Anything smaller than pixel peeping (100%, 1:1) is going to represent an increase in DR over the strict DR of a single pixel measurement.
  10. D

It more closely approximates the human experience than the measurement of a single pixel.
  11. D

On the shadow side DR is bound by noise. Noise is not perfectly uniform. A quad of pixels occupying the same space as a single larger pixel are more likely to detect something of value near their noise limits. If you increase the number of samples (pixels) that contribute to a given view size...
  12. D

You mean the workflow used by the majority of landscape photographers over the past 4-5 decades? Dusk/dawn aren't all that tricky exposure wise. It's not one of the situations where I consider exposure preview to be a significant advantage. I have no issue composing or visualizing dusk/dawn...
  13. D

Man...you missed out on an awesome camera with that reasoning.
  14. D

I'm very happy with my 5Ds and probably won't be quick to upgrade to the 83mp mirrorless. If anything I need more photography trips, not more cameras. That said, someday I will upgrade to a higher rez mirrorless and I suspect I'll miss the OVF when I do. If Canon were to make an 83mp 5Ds/sR mk...
  15. D

Canon's decision might have something to do with the fact that DSLRs still out sell 'the future', aka mirrorless, much like Canon out sells Sony. To that point and your post: why is it that mirrorless becomes a religion to some people? If Canon continues to offer DSLRs why is that an offense?