Recent content by EduPortas

1. E

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

You guys are worrying too much about the EF mount and DSLRs in general. There will always be a niche for a high-end DSLR. Mainly, journalists. There's at least 10 years of habituation between that group and their digital 1D cameras. No way Canon will force them to change to the RF mount. Not a...
  2. E

Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

The reasoning behind this cameras insane: 4K video/Mic port/headphone jack: check! But no DPAF with EF-S lenses in 1080p. In fact, no 1080p at all with those lenses! What?! Yet, you CAN get 4K with EF-S lenses and 1080p with DPAF with EF-S lenses in a subframe body in the M50. Alas, no...
  3. E

Canon announces the VIXIA HF G50 4K UHD Video Camcorder

Canon has you covered. For a price. The GX10 has a larger sensor, ND filters, DPAF, and 4K. That will be $1,500, please.
  4. E

The predicted first half of 2019 Canon product announcement roadmap

Yes, but unless you're viewing a 4k video at full screen and less than 15 inches from your screen, it's almost indistinguishable from good 1080p. YouTube compression and its small viewing format make 4k unnecessary. Bur of course the 4k badge sells cameras, even if 99% of consumers will never...
  5. E

The predicted first half of 2019 Canon product announcement roadmap

7D Mark III in 2019 is basically a given. It falls right into their 5 year product-cycle for that particular model (2009, 2014, 2019). They'll probably announce it in February--after their 2018 fiscal year closes in January--and sell it in September (like the 7DM2). That way they can report a...
  6. E

RF mount video products in the works, could see an RF Cinema EOS camera

This will be a loooong transition period.
  7. E

Canon EOS 7D Mark II listed as discontinued, but no reason for excitement

Funny how no one has mentioned that the 7DII has basically the same body and button layout as the 5DIII and 5DIV. They weight and feel almost exactly the same. For a working pro, this is important. Every second counts. No time fiddling around changing lenses or worse yet, digging into menus...
  8. E

I had no troubles with my 7DM2. I'm using it with decent APS-C glass by Canon: 18-135mm IS STM, 17-55mm IS 2.8, 10-18mm IS STM and 28mm F2.8 IS full frame and 75-300mm IS. This is just my anecdotal experience. I don't fiddle around with the "AF Cases". I find image quality good to very good...
  9. E

DSLRs are here to stay. Recent mirrorless cameras are not competing directly against them, so the big two companies are releasing their mirrorless products as a complement, not a substitute, for the robust DSLR lineup. Right now the market is too fragmented to go all-in into mirrorless.
  10. E

Canon Launches New Flagship XF705 Professional Camcorder Featuring 4K Video Recording at 60P/4:2:2/10-Bit

The big N already has a camera for you, but it has a mirror :] In all seriousness, camera purists say the DF delivers a very good image and NO video whatsoever.
  11. E

Canon Launches New Flagship XF705 Professional Camcorder Featuring 4K Video Recording at 60P/4:2:2/10-Bit

Most of the cost of this model is linked to its massive "L" lens. No other Canon ENG camera uses this particular type of glass. Shame they are no longer using a three sensor system, like the older XF300. Apparently, that's what really made that camera standout (and its particular "L" zoom, of...
  12. E

Replacement for the Canon XF305 around the corner [CR1]

Sounds great, but not really an XC model. More like a C-line one.
  13. E

Replacement for the Canon XF305 around the corner [CR1]

A new XC15 model with interchangeable lenses would require new glass for its 1-inch sensor, no? Can't see them designing this thing with an EF mount and hit their other camera lines, specially the R line.
  14. E

Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

Anyone know if you can MAGNIFY focus during video recording with the EOS R? Apparently you can now do this with the XT-3, according to EOSHD. This is huge for video makers.
  15. E

Industry News: Blackmagic Design Announces Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for Just $1295

Honestly, what's the final cost of properly rigging this thing? The specs look great, though.