Recent content by efmshark

1. E

Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Specifications

Good luck finding a pocketable 5x zoom lens for M50, much less one that is even close to f/1.8-2.8.
  2. E

Canon publishes a paper discussing a new 3.4 μm pixel pitch global shutter CMOS image sensor with dual in-pixel charge domain memory

3.4u pixel pitch would roughly translate to a 32Mp APS-C sensor. However, this device appears to be mostly targeted at video capture and it is either a test chip, or a prototype of a sensor aimed at a prosumer 4K camcorder.
  3. E

What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

My guess is Canon is working on some kind of IBIS technology, which will make its first appearance in some kind of a pro-APS-C camera. Not sure if that will be 7D Mk III or M5 successor.
  4. E

True, but 45nm process has been in production for nearly 12 years. All the fabs/production lines should be pretty much fully depreciated by now, and even if you want to set up a new fab that is tuned with some analog process capabilities, you could get most of the production machinery for almost...
  5. E

Full frame sensors don't really require cutting edge silicon technology in terms of features sizes (transistor gate width and metal pitch), so Canon and others can use a few generation older CMOS processes running on possibly fully depreciated fabs or production lines, with very mature yields...
  6. E

If you can live with MF, you can use a Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 with Leica-M to RF adapter.
  7. E

7D Mark iii with a new 40MP APS-C sensor. Full width oversampled (4 sensor pixels per video pixel) 4K video. Same sensor may be used in future Canon Cinema models to deliver oversampled 4K video.
  8. E

Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Introducing a camera that has worse SNR at high ISO compared to a model that was released five years prior is indeed a step back. And this while competitors were making significant improvements in this area year after year. And questionable dynamic range at base ISO while competitors are...
  9. E

Patent: Canon RF 100-400mm f/3.5-5.6L IS and more

I can't imagine the RF100-400 will be any smaller or significantly lighter than the EF version.
  10. E

I haven't been able to find any M-mount fast wide prime reviews on EOS RF, but I found some data on RF 35mm f1.8. At f/1.8, vignetting is more than 3.5EV near corners (https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?Lens=1224). Compare this to Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8...
  11. E

Patent: Canon RF 100-400mm f/3.5-5.6L IS and more

Am I correct to assume that telephoto (and telephoto zoom) lenses do not necessarily need major design changes to be ported from EF mount to native RF mount? I would really like to see Canon bring to market some fast wide primes for the RF mount. Is coming up with a fast-wide prime for RF simply...
  12. E

The only test of a wide angle lens on RF I am aware of is Optical Limits' test of RF 24-105 which has a maximum aperture of only F/4. Measured light fall-off (vignetting) at f/4 was 2.6EV at 24mm and 2.1EV at 105mm, which would be considered pretty awful for a F4 DSLR lens. For comparison, light...
  13. E

Instead of your subjective evaluation of looking at a few images which have no detail and somewhat uniform noise, if you look at the quantitative DXOMARK comparison of the EOS 6D Mark ii sensor vs the Sony A7 iii sensor, you can see that Sony has almost 3 Evs better dynamic range and...
  14. E

It is kind of disappointing that this camera will come with the recycled 6D mk ii sensor. That was not such a great sensor to begin with (not just worse high ISO performance that its competitors but also worse dynamic range), but using DSLR sensors in mirrorless bodies leads to problems like...
  15. E

Is this the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III?

Looks like a higher resolution real LCD display...