Recent content by Graphic.Artifacts

1. G

Review: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III real world sports review

Nobody is saying DPAF isn’t accurate. Of course it is. When I’m shooting non moving targets at high magnification in low light I often switch to live view. The issue with DPAF and moving targets with complicated foregrounds and backgrounds is that it very quickly becomes overwhelmed in a way...
  2. G

This is a thread about shooting sports and the comments I made were in that context. I have no idea how the M50 relates to that. There is no evidence that Canon can make a sports/wildlife mirrorless camera that performs up to the standard of their S/W DSLRs. There is another thread about an...
  3. G

Because I think they make the worlds best DSLRs and I don’t think they make anywhere near the worlds best mirrorless cameras although they do sell a large number of entry level mirrorless cameras that are primarily aimed at casual users. Id love to see a Canon mirrorless that’s the technical...
  4. G

I’m guessing costs twice as much to manufacture a 7D3 vs a 90D but they can’t sell it for twice as much. It’s a tough camera market and I guess hard decisions have to be made. I think it’ll happen at some point. Canon is just much better at making DSLRs than they are at mirrorless.
  5. G

It’s very surprising to me that they aren’t offering an accessory EVF. I asked Canon about it and I didn’t get the impression that one was being developed. Seems like a missed opportunity. Plus they could charge a ridiculous price for it and I think it would sell.
  6. G

It’s been a while, but an APS-C equipped EOS R body gets another mention [CR2]

Or they could just release a 7D Mark III. I don’t know how other people feel about shooting wildlife with an EVF but personally I’d rather have an OVF. The EVF is fatiguing, slow to start up, you can’t see through it when the camera is off, lags in continuous shooting, I could go on and on. My...
  7. G

Makes me want a 7D Mark III so I wouldn’t have to always be forcing my 5D to do things it wasn’t designed for. we’ve had a 70D, 80D and 90D, all with much better sensors, since the Mark II was released 5 1/2 years ago. Canon has completely lost the casual wildlife shooters market. Mostly to...
  8. G

The reduction in AA filtering and better low light performance could offset the lack of an MP bump. I guess we’ll have to wait a while to know that for sure. I think you’d be very impressed by the new AF. It feels much faster than the Mark II which I wouldn’t have thought possible. The...
  9. G

And I was living vicariously through the demo unit. The Mark II was a one-off for me. It’s very nice but I don’t have any practical reason To justify owning it. I’ll likely sell it at some point to get one of the new R’s. But, It’s good to know that if I keep the Mark II it will never wear out.
  10. G

Had a chance to demo one a Mark III. Can’t speak to the IQ or focus accuracy but if you are a BBF point focuser, and I think a lot of Canon shooters still are, that optical AF ON button is a game changer. It’s not a toggle it’s more like an optical mouse it senses your thumb move around but...
  11. G

Industry News: Fujifilm announces the X-T200, an affordable little powerhouse

There is rumored to be an X-T4 release in February so I guess we’ll see. I’m happy with the dual tilt screen Fuji uses but I guess video bloggers want to see themselves while filming.
  12. G

Preorder: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III with bonuses and a giveaway

I’m also disappointed that there wasn’t a bump to 24MP. If you need to crop a page size vertical out of a horizontal composition those 4 MP would make a noticeable difference even at 8 1/2 x 11. I was told that 20 MP was a customer driven spec and that the premier sports shooters they target...
  13. G

Preorder: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III with bonuses and a giveaway

Had a chance to try out the new 1DX Mark III. The new focus point control system/AF On button is outstanding from what I was able to tell in the few minutes I had to check it out. Otherwise it feels identical in the hand to the 1DX Mark II which, despite the weight, has the best ergonomics of...
  14. G

Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Many of us have been waiting a long time for Canon to make a serius attempt at a world class miirrorless body. For me, this is they’re last shot at it. If the new R body is just another stop gap designed by the marketing managers than I’m done waiting. The 1DX Mark III is what a Canon body looks...
  15. G

Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM

I was aiming for snarky rather than vitriol but I admit I may have over-shot the mark. I thought the carnival glass thing was pretty clever though. If Canon could just invent a lens that makes people look 20 lbs thinner.