Recent content by hne

1. H

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV voice tag upgrade service

I had voice memo on a powershot 16 years ago. Why can't it coexist with C-log?
  2. H

Recommended a good versatile lens.

If I had an 80D, I'd want to pair it with a Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art (had one on my 70D) and a 50/1.8. The perfect pair if you ask me. 18-35 on a 70D: 50/1.8 II on a 550D:
  3. H

Please share your snow/ Ice Photos with us in CR.

Christmas morning third hour of sunrise, at noon. Things get weird close to the polar circle on the eastern edge of a time zone :-)
  4. H

Official 2 Card slots guy

I've only had cards fail on me in a non recoverable way after a sudden power loss in non-canon equipment during larger writes (such as while moving files off the card). Twice with SD cards where certain blocks became unreadable (one in a zoom recorder, one in a raspberry pi) and twice with CF...
  5. H

Shooting with the predecessors...What older Canon lenses do you still love?

That 35/1.4L has really nice bokeh. I've contemplated switching to the mkII version for aberration control and sharpness but... Bokeh is visible in any magnification, not only giant prints. Same with the 70-200/2.8L IS: it is plenty sharp enough for my use and I've heard exactly 0 reports of...
  6. H

Patent: Canon RF 90mm f/2.8L IS Macro & RF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro

Ah. This was a macro lens. Then everything gets really tricky. The above is using the assumption that at a reasonable distance, the lens behaves in a way close enough to that of an ideal lens, where 1/f=1/o+1/i Mea culpa
  7. H

Patent: Canon RF 90mm f/2.8L IS Macro & RF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro

How about focus at infinity, take a picture of a small light source a known distance from the sensor plane and measure the diameter of the resulting bright circle? If you cannot get hold of a true point light and don't know the expected size (because you don't know the real focal length), take...
  8. H

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

So much fun, this lens! Extra helpful with video, where digital keystone correction is not an option.
  9. H

Calibrating Monitors for Printing

D65 isn't exactly optimal for printing. It'll definitely look blue next to the print unless you have special light bulbs. You want a rather dim monitor for printing, with white not much brighter than a piece of paper on the desk next to it. When you have your entire chain properly colour...
  10. H

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

No lens stabilisation can compensate for camera roll. Canon's digital video stabilisation only works with lenses with IS IIRC. So no 18-35/1.8 Art with stabilisation. Would have been nice, what with the 4K crop. Other than that, I'm pleased to see the EF-R adapter not having a rectangular hole...
  11. H

Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

28-70/2L? Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! And no mirror box bokeh ball clipping? I can feel the GAS bubbling. Those red circles and lines to the knurly front ring makes me believe they're aperture control rings. Another thing that strikes me as odd: That 50/1.2L lens has at least two side...
  12. H

Glasses on or off?

Next time, try not having a gigantic tree trunk right behind your subjects. Unless you use it as a prop. If you roughly line up the sun, some nice background, plenty of space, your subject, camera, yourself and something dark, you can make great portraits pretty much anywhere. If you also get...
  13. H

Bring these two dull products together and get my money

Oh snap! Time to buy a used EOS M fast before the rest of the market catches up to the news! Or wait for a FF mirrorless. Size ain't no argument when you have that 85L dangling off the EF-M adapter. Tried it. Ridiculous.
  14. H

Grandson, daughter, and my wife.

The picture of the three of them is my favourite. I would probably have moved in a bit more for a slightly tighter framing, but that's a matter of personal preference. The light in the one named Tarzan is really good but the angle in relation to the background light seems our of place. Maybe...
  15. H

Time for a playful topic! What's in your two lens bag?

This is exactly what's been in my bag for the last week-and-a-bit. The week before that had an additional 17-40 and 100-400, of which only the latter was used (wide angle lenses aren't much use above the tree line around here). Before that I had only the 35+85 for months!