Recent content by jayphotoworks

1. J

Don’t trust your R in the rain :o|

It's unfortunate you had to go through this, but at least it is working now. The higher end Canon bodies definitely have superior weather sealing as I shot a C300II in the pouring rain 2 years ago and water was literally dripping off the camera for hours shooting in a wooded area with no issues...
  2. J

Apologies.

Personally I think it is easier for someone to admit they are wrong when the person telling them they are wrong does it with a bit more grace. Excluding trolls, sometimes even when a person is wrong, there might be some good takeaways from the discussion or a different angle to be considered. I...
  3. J

Canon EOS 90D full specifications

This is the part that I hope Canon gets the message. Yes, Canon has gained market share in aggregate, but it would be speculation to say which product lines are successful. I would like to think that when the entry market finally finds its new normal and Canon's revenue needs to come from higher...
  4. J

For video work after using dual card camera systems, I too am reluctant to go back to single card cameras. Originally, like others I thought that it would be nice to have a safety factor for shooting critical moments that cannot be re-shot, and this has allowed me to rely on a single primary...
  5. J

While this is not directly relevant to why 24p isn't on this camera (or others), Canon doesn't exactly have a good grasp of the enthusiast/pro video market either. This is probably one of the reasons why their cinema line has done so poorly. Canon lost 60% of its cinema line sales in 1Q 2019...
  6. J

Blackmagic Design announces new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K with EF mount

I wouldn't simply label people as "fake purists" if they opt not to use AF in their production. Cameras like the C200 are better suited for ENG work and docs, etc. The run-n-gun approach or 1-man operator fit that use case quite well, but in many other narrative productions, it makes no sense...
  7. J

Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

I guess whether or not someone likes a spec war depends on whether they are on the "winning" or "losing" side.. But doesn't a spec war simply benefit the consumer at the end?
  8. J

Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

The EOS R and A7III are almost identical in weight, but obviously the Sony is physically smaller. It is simply a different priority between manufacturers. When I mount a 28f2 or a 35f2.8 on the Sony, I appreciate the overall size reduction. When I mount my 24-70 GM, I throw on a grip. I find a...
  9. J

Canon Q2 2019 financial results released

This was the report in May 2019 showing the trends of FF MILC between the A7II, A7III, R, RP and Z6: https://www.bcnretail.com/market/detail/20190424_115433.html This BCN report shows the performance for almost the entire month of June 2019, and not just the weekly results as you have...
  10. J

Canon Q2 2019 financial results released

If you look at the data, Canon has increased market share, but actually lost quite a bit of camera sales value. They are moving a ton of low cost entry level bodies and those mainstream entry-level consumers that don't care about the removal of 24p, IBIS, 4K, DR, etc. also don't care about...
  11. J

Is RED about to announce the first RF mount video camera?

They've never had a Sony mount. They've offered mounts in Canon, Nikon, Leica M, PL, but not Sony. The Leica M mount (which doesn't support all lenses) is 28mm which is almost physically at the limit for the existing design, far away from the 18mm E mount. I'm curious if their eventual DSMC3...
  12. J

The Canon EOS M5 Mark II and Canon EOS M6 Mark II are on the way [CR1]

I have to chime in here. For starters, I have no idea why Canon would remove 24p in 1080. You have to actually change the video system back and forth in the menus to toggle between NTSC/PAL. If you are in PAL, you only get 25p in 4K as well. You have to switch it back to NTSC for 24p... It's a...
  13. J

Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Sony market share fell a bit last year but they've increased their camera sales value by quite a bit while Canon gained market share but their camera sales value dropped a fair bit. Canon does exceptionally well in the entry level space, and a fair part of their market share is driven by this...
  14. J

Canon’s profit likely to slide 40% on European slowdown

I personally don't really bring my ILC camera gear with me on trips anymore. Obviously there are certain exceptions if I'm travelling to somewhere very very remote.. but for the most part I've found my smartphone can do an acceptable job. This has been even more the case now that I've upgraded...
  15. J

Canon’s profit likely to slide 40% on European slowdown

Yes, the reports here are reporting PnL at the corporate level inclusive of all divisions and not just imaging. Moving forwards, I think Canon will provide more meaningful data regarding the actual contraction and impact of the shrinking imaging market. Sony decided to roll up their IP&S...