Recent content by jedy

1. J

Industry News: Sigma fp to begin shipping on October 25, 2019

The problem with this camera, if your going to use it for stills, a lot of camera features people take for granted are optional extras. No evf, just a large loupe, hotshoe and camera grip all optional extras. No IBIS. I personally don’t use IBIS for video but when you consider the competition...
  2. J

SIGMA announces the “SIGMA fp”, the world’s smallest and lightest mirrorless digital camera* with a full-frame image sensor

This clearly isn’t the camera for big zooms...or telephoto lenses for that matter. It’s size limits it’s practicality in that sense. Saying that, Sigma primes are almost bordering on the size of zooms though. The lack of a viewfinder is a no no for me.
  3. J

Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Canon should bring out a mirrorless 5DIV successor next. I believe enticing the 5D users over to mirrorless would be more successful right now. Pro users using the 1D-X line are not the sort of people to be early switchers. Firstly, there would need to be equivalent lenses in RF mount or else...
  4. J

Adobe testing a new price point for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan

I’ll make this clearer. I use my computers internal hard disk for programs only. All important files are kept on external disks and away from the internet as much as possible. No one is hacking my external disks.
  5. J

Well, I like to disconnect from the internet when editing and don’t need to be online. I have backup disks that go nowhere near the internet. The likelihood of a local disk being hacked is much less likely than a permanent cloud service. If a server goes down you lose access to your files, if a...
  6. J

But no one is forced to upgrade if they can live without the newer features. They keep their copy of the software for no additional money. Subscribers will be continually paying or will lose the software completely. But you get to pay for upgrades as and when it suits you. Professionals don’t...
  7. J

Patent: Lots of small, light and fast EF prime lenses

The DSLR pro end is still healthy because the mirrorless technology at the pro end isn’t good enough yet and the smaller, lighter argument is irrelevant anyway. There are plenty of small, lighter mirrorless cameras at the consumer level that are fast making consumer crop DSLR’s a less attractive...
  8. J

Patent: Lots of small, light and fast EF prime lenses

I would have thought most Canon crop users are either non-professional who would own the kit lens and maybe one or two others (or perhaps upgrade the kit lens for a better EF-S zoom) and the other being more professional, like a 7DII user who would opt for L glass. It doesn’t seem likely an EF-S...
  9. J

The rest of 2019 for Canon will be about updating dated product lines [CR2]

Nice to look up the rumours from time to time but you’d think people would be happy with the perfectly adequate camera equipment they already own.
  10. J

Canon’s new instant cameras have leaked ahead of launch

Let's hope they sort out that leaking problem before they're due for sale.
  11. J

The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Canon's Pro EOS R body (when it arrives) will most likely be a 5D IV equivalent upgrade. Due to the specific needs of professional photographers, the 1D series will surely be the last DSLR to get a mirrorless equivalent. I imagine the 6D series, followed at some point by the 5D series will be...
  12. J

Samyang to announce a 14mm f/2.8 RF and 85mm f/1.4 RF soon

That makes no sense. You may as well just use their EF lenses with an adapter in that case. The main point I was making is that reverse engineering will never be as good as native autofocus. Also no guarantee of future camera compatibility.
  13. J

The new PL mount CN-E prime lenses that are coming soon are more than just a mount conversion

Useful info but it seems most people who frequent this site aren’t wannabe cinematographers but gear whores looking for stills camera/lens info for their next purchase and to complain about Canon’s disappointing 4K ;-).
  14. J

Samyang to announce a 14mm f/2.8 RF and 85mm f/1.4 RF soon

Any third party lenses for Canon will have reverse engineered autofocus. I doubt Samyang has worked out the R mount autofocus yet and reverse engineering will never beat native autofocus for reliability. Also, don’t expect Zeiss to produce R mount autofocus lenses. Sony share their autofocus...
  15. J

Samyang to launch 8 new lenses by Q2 of 2019

Can’t say I’m looking forward to inferior reverse engineered third party autofocus lenses. This is one area Sony have the advantage as they share their autofoucus technology with other lens companies. This could very well be a huge advantage for Sony in the long run.