Recent content by jeffa4444

1. jeffa4444

The Canon EOS M50 leads mirrorless camera sales in Japan for March 2019

So Canon 27% of top 10 sales, Sony 25.3% and Olympus 19%. These are just one month figures but include some older cameras which is interesting as the Japanese used to like to purchase the latest hardware. I bet these three are not repeated in that order globally as Fuji seems to do better than...
  2. jeffa4444

Cinematic Image Reimagined: Introducing Sumire Prime Lenses From Canon

By industry standards these are the cheaper end of the spectrum. Personally I agree going with the best lens from a resolution point of view and then dumbing it down with filters is better for owner / operators. For rental companies its just another tool in the box.
  3. jeffa4444

Canon celebrates 25th straight year of Technical Image Press Association awards

Im a big Canon fan buts its a little premature to be awarding the Canon RP its barely been on sale.
  4. jeffa4444

Cinematic Image Reimagined: Introducing Sumire Prime Lenses From Canon

Its the world I pay the rent in. Canon have seriously tough competition from Zeiss, Cookes, Leica, Arri, Vantage, Angenieux, Tamron, Sigma and the industry leader in optics, Panavision. Were see how they perform when we can get a set on our projector & MTF bench plus have shot some material.
  5. jeffa4444

DXOMark tests the Canon EOS R image sensor, scores it at 89

Its an "in-house device" that we developed for digital movie cameras, and no we would not disclose how it works. We use another machine for measuring the DR again developed originally for digital movie cameras (not the sphere but the DR grating) so if more that one camera is being used on...
  6. jeffa4444

Patent: Canon in-body image stabilization

Sony 5-axis system is based on the Olympus system, and yes a full-frame sensor is harder to do because of the increased mass.
  7. jeffa4444

My point was very specific so let me explain it again. Production tolerances means lens X on Camera A maybe soft but lens X on camera B maybe just fine. Or lens X is soft on both Camera A or camera B. Now the margin maybe very small but its why you can adjust the back-focus of each lens to the...
  8. jeffa4444

Patent: Canon in-body image stabilization

In 2012 Sony bought a 11.5% stake in Olympus for $ 650M in the wake of Olympus accounting scandal which nearly saw the death of Olympus. Sony has reduced its holding to 5% and done well out of the investment. Ever wondered how Sony got it its in-body image stabilisation, yep via Olympus...
  9. jeffa4444

Canon EOS R firmware version 1.2.0 announced

Likewise. The EOS R eye detect is a bit hit and mis as well as slow so hopefully this firmware brings improvements.
  10. jeffa4444

Its why we have very expensive, precisely aligned lens projectors. The MTF bench only tells us part of the story.
  11. jeffa4444

There is a completely logical reason to test lenses and cameras separately because even in the digital world you have production tolerance variation which may manifest itself as lowering the performance of a given lens on a given camera body. Go over to the lens rentals article on MTF that's the...
  12. jeffa4444

Canon USA lays off 60 employees from the camera division

Canon are still innovating and they showed 5 of the new RF lens mock-ups at The Photography Show (the ones announced at CP+). Sony in an article in UK photography press mocked the use of adaptors (having been happy to have Canon glass originally on A 7 series camera) but they still dont have the...
  13. jeffa4444

Canon USA lays off 60 employees from the camera division

Cameras are also more reliable than in the past and the R system without a mirror box will add to reliability. Canon in the UK at least have service partners as well as their own single service centre (these cover other brands as well).
  14. jeffa4444

Never held much stock in DXOMark testing and I will qualify that by saying I work for a major cinematography rental company where we test cameras & lenses in far more depth than DXOMark. We test cameras, lenses and then the two in combination unlike DXOMark. Im not for a minute assuming that...
  15. jeffa4444

The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Canon launched over the last two years a fair number of new EF lenses including updates to the tilt-shift lenses, the IS 70-200mm lenses and the EF 400 f2.8L III etc. Why spend that kind of money to have the RF lenses kill them off. As good as the EOR R is, it still has weaknesses not least the...