Recent content by johnf3f

1. johnf3f

Need advice for a sturdy tripod and head

I haven't used that particular model as I gave up on Manfrotto ball heads some time ago so I couldn't comment.
  2. johnf3f

I use the Manrotto 410 which I find pretty good though it is not light! I have tried the Manfrotto 405 which is better IMO but more expensive. Note I normally use my 410 head with shorter lenses than my 100-400 but (with my 1DX attached) it does a decent job. Geared heads are slow but they do...
  3. johnf3f

What should I replace my 7D II with?

Naturally the 1DX2 would be my preferred choice - but they are pricey! Have you considered the 1DX Mk1? Currently I use a 7D2 and 1DX (Mk1) and for the majority of the time the 1Dx is the better camera by a significant margin. Note I am very focal length limited as Canon do not currently make a...
  4. johnf3f

For longer exposures with long (ish) lenses then the Sirui K40X is well worth a look. Mine happily supports any lens I have (up to my Canon 800mm F5.6 L IS) though at silly focal lengths you need a remote and let things settle down for a second or two - even Gitzo/RRS tripods are not THAT good...
  5. johnf3f

Glad to hear you are happy with your tripod. I knew you would be because I use it's siblings. They are great kit and I have, yet, to do any worthwhile m maintenance on any of mine. Cracking tripod - enjoy!
  6. johnf3f

Ended: This is the last day to save on the revolutionary Peak Design Travel Tripod

Tee Hee! Never thought of something like that. I have different tripods for different uses. As I find Gitzo tripods to perform excellently and I bought all of mine at very sensible prices . I live in the Uk so my entire Gitzo collection (GT3320BS,GT2531,GT4542LS,G1550T(used) and GM2541 + a...
  7. johnf3f

Ended: This is the last day to save on the revolutionary Peak Design Travel Tripod

Still more than I paid for any of my 4 Gitzo tripods (3 new and one used) - I don't think this one is viable. Looks cool but just too expensive and hopeless flippy leg locks too!
  8. johnf3f

Happy new toy! Well you "Bit the Bullet" big time - still you won't need to replace it for decades, or ever?
  9. johnf3f

Chz will just shower it with praise, I know I would!
  10. johnf3f

It was on "Sale" at the time but I buy when the price is right. Remember this is, currently, my most expensive Gitzo. A fair while back I picked up a G1318 carbon centre column for systematic tripods for £100 (Aud 182) which I thought was pretty good. The trouble was that it came with a G1329...
  11. johnf3f

I also have a Sirui mono pod (P424) and it is an excellent piece of kit, unfortunately I have not been able to get any of their "Systematic" style (R series?) tripods at good money hence my Gitzo tripods. I have played with a few Sirui tripods and they are pretty good. As to their K--x series...
  12. johnf3f

Are high end DSLRs officially dead now?

Graphic.Artifacts makes a good point. Whilst Mirrorless has advanced by leaps and bounds they still leave much to be desired for certain uses/users = me. Having said that for many uses ML cameras are distinctly better but the manufacturers have yet to produce a top quality ML body, with a full...
  13. johnf3f

I didn't realise you were in Australia. Here, in the UK, Gitzo tripods are as expensive as anywhere else but we (or at least I) seem to be able to find Gitzo tripods at sensible prices. Currently my most expensive is my GT4542LS (4 series Systematic) which was about 682 in your money - that was...
  14. johnf3f

Forgot to mention heads. Whilst I am a Gitzo "Fanboy" as far as tripods are concerned I have been underwhelmed by their heads. If you like ball heads then I like the Sirui K x range, a Sirui K30x should fit your needs nicely. My K40x is great but a bit heavier - swings and roundabouts.
  15. johnf3f

I moved from the Manfrotto 190 to the 055 XB Pro and thought it was the "Dog's Dangly Bits". Fortunately I then tried out a Gitzo - well that was the end of that, I have never looked back. Just my 2p. In my opinion + experience the 055 is barely comparable to a 1 series Gitzo Mountaineer. The...