Recent content by JohnGerlach

1. J

Results of my new Canon 600mm f/4 III with the 1.4x III converter to make it 840mm

So the 7D Mark III isn't out yet. I haven't look at crop bodies for quite some time, just heard it mentioned. I think I will stay with what I have for now, as soon wildflowers will be blooming and that takes up a lot of my time, and then two consecutive months of photo workshops to run. It...
  2. J

Results of my new Canon 600mm f/4 III with the 1.4x III converter to make it 840mm

Here is a link for Steve's video. He is a Nikon shooter, but the ideas should work for Canon too.
  3. J

I hope to get to test the 2x teleconverter soon. I am wondering the best way to get more reach, especially for small birds like warblers and sparrows. If I want a 1200mm, do I use the 2x on my 600mm, or would I be better off to use a 7D Mark II or III with the 1.6x crop, a 1.4x converter, and...
  4. J

I expect to lose some sharpness by adding any extra glass to the optical path. There is a trade-off always, but I wonder if the advantage of a longer lens for some subjects is worth the slight loss of sharpness? When I have a workshop client attend one of my workshops, and they have the 2x...
  5. J

I expected good results, but not as good as I was getting. After avoiding teleconverters for so long, I now am thrilled to be able to use the latest lenses with the latest converters. I would like to test it with the 2x as well, but don't wish to buy it unless I know the results are acceptable.
  6. J

I spent two full days shooting some 4,000 images with my Canon 1DX Mark II and my new Canon 600mm f/4 lens with the new 1.4x teleconverter attached most of the time. Both are the latest Canon models. Before doing any photography, I first tested the lens by itself for focus accuracy and then with...
  7. J

After some time what is the field report of EF100-400 Mk II?

The new lens is far better than the old version. I really like it and use it often. I did have to AF microadjust it with my Canon 5D Mark IV to a minus 9, and then I got the sharpness I was hoping for!
  8. J

Foxy Fox Squirrels

I wish you well Aaron! It seems all DSLRs benefit from AF microadjusting - just the nature of the beast. All of my Canon lenses do better with it, but the difference isn't huge and stopping down will mask slight focus errors.
  9. J

Foxy Fox Squirrels

AF microadjusting seems fairly straightforward to me. I don't have any trouble doing it, and deciding what setting is best until I get close. When using 5 step increments or greater, it is obvious which one is delivering a sharper focus. But, when deciding if -4, -3, or -2 is best, then the...
  10. J

Foxy Fox Squirrels

These shots do look sharp. But I always check focus for any lens i plan to use autofocus with. This looks sharp, but maybe it would be a little sharper if you made an adjustment. You don't know unless you check the autofocus.
  11. J

Ducks at the Cincinnati Zoo

I took these photos in about 1.5 hours at the Cincinnati zoo two days before Christmas. I used a Canon 1DX Mark II with an 800mm lens attached to a Wimberley gimbal head. As the light changed quickly as the birds moved around, I did not use my favorite manual exposure, but instead opted for...
  12. J

600 F4 II or 300 F2.8 II and extenders for a Safari kenya

I have led forty photo tours to Kenya and will be going again in Sept of 2019. Animals are used to safari vehicles, so you will often get quite close. I have had young elephants hit the vehicle with their trunks. My main lens is the Canon 200-400mm with built-in 1.4x. It is terrific on...
  13. J

Foxy Fox Squirrels

I haven't noticed any change in my success with AF microadjusting as everything I do turns out this sharp when I want it to. I do wonder if the colder temperatures in Yellowstone where I am leading tours for a month will affect things. But I rarely shoot on a tour that I am leading, so it...
  14. J

Foxy Fox Squirrels

It makes the images a little sharper, and especially important for wildlife since I often can't stop down as much as I would like so the DOF covers the slight misfocus. Actually, all of my Canon lenses are off somewhat with both my Canon 5D Mark IV and 1DX Mark II, but nothing that can't be...
  15. J

Foxy Fox Squirrels

These fox squirrels are both abundant and super approachable in a downtown park in Seymour, IN. I use a Canon 1DX II and a Canon 800mm lens with an AF microadjustment of -3 to hit sharp focus. As the light was changing continually, I used my preferred Autoexposure mode of Auto ISO, and manual...