Recent content by keithcooper

1. K

IBIS is coming to select next generation Canon DSLRs [CR2]

Putting IS in the 90D could give good engineering/manufacturing/reliability/software feedback for IBIS for pro mirrorless and a 1 series, where they need to get things right. OK it's a very different camera, but a lot of useful info can come from putting a feature out there 'for real'
  2. K

Patent: IBIS appears in a Canon DSLR for the first time

This isn't the first patent application that's used this diagram showing a DSLR (I've another one listed from June 13th, that didn't get spotted ;-) ) The ones showing this are looking at image capture problems created by moving the sensor, whether through changes in optical alignment or things...
  3. K

Depends entirely on the kind of work I need to do, and I should imagine that applies to most serious photographers without an excess of cash burning holes in their pocket,,, Now, if you're giving me the camera then yes please I'll take the GFX100 But in terms of spending real money of my own...
  4. K

Even worse - only a patent application ;-)
  5. K

Canon patent shows new tilt mechanism and working process

In the patent, the AF is used to set the plane of focus, having entered arbitrary points on the desired 'surface' in combination with the right amount of tilt. What's not directly shown here is the potential need to rotate the tilt axis to match the surface plane, so to fully automate it, the...
  6. K

Canon patent shows new tilt mechanism and working process

A new patent shows a lens design with powered tilt and focus (along with sensors to feed back position info. Delve further and there are flowcharts showing how the tilted plane of focus can be matched to a subject surface. Interesting info since I know from my teaching work that positioning...
  7. K

Canon U.S.A. Announces New 120 MP Ultra-High Resolution and 2.7 MP Ultra-High Sensitivity CMOS Sensors

For myself a true understanding of sharpening (inc. when/where it's not needed) at all stages in my workflow, from RAW to printing has contributed greatly to my own photography (that's using PS - lightroom doesn't cut it for big prints IMHO) A couple of articles about the importance of print...
  8. K

Canon U.S.A. Announces New 120 MP Ultra-High Resolution and 2.7 MP Ultra-High Sensitivity CMOS Sensors

The 120MP design is APS-H, so and EOS R sensor based on it would be ~175MP (~16,350h x 11300v) No far from the S1R ~187MP multishot mode I tried recently with Canon lenses, which held up just fine. Of course if the 175MP EOS R had similar sensor IS multi-shot, we'd get ~700MP in a shot which...
  9. K

Patent: Further breakdown of Canon’s upcoming IBIS technology

TS-E lenses work just as well hand held or on a tripod ;-) You just need to practice rather more, but once you get the hang of it, being able to add a bit of shift gives extra flexibility (I don't actually use tilt very often - then mainly for technical purposes). My 24/17 TS-E lenses are my...
  10. K

Whilst I can appreciate the "I don't need it, so it's no big deal" replies - I feel the same about video (especially 4k) - most of the responses seem to concentrate on the usefulness of IS for non-IS lenses, which is what I'd assumed would be the big feature when I had the Panasonic S1R for a...
  11. K

They sure do... See earlier discussion... and this essentially looking at the s1R from the POV of a 5Ds user: Detailed Panasonic S1R camera review
  12. K

I don't -need- it, but recent experience makes it something I'd like to see It adds IS to my non IS lenses as an option - that's my expensive TS-E ones mainly It gives the possibility of multi-shot high res imaging (see my earlier post and link) If it works with lens IS, then I get even better...
  13. K

There was a US patent application from back in March [USPTO] that has a very similar sensor mount included, that I remember looking at. There is another earlier that month [USPTO] which looked at aberrations and defocus as part of the IS controlled by two lens IS elements. As expected, after...
  14. K

My hope is that they include a high res multishot mode using the IS such as I recently tested with the Panasonic S1R. Sure, there are limits with using it, but the results can be impressive. See the examples in a thread here and in the review at...
  15. K

Canon TS-E lenses at 187MP on the Panasonic S1R [Review]

Thanks Do look at the crops at full size - there is considerably more detail in the high res version. The detail for example in the wheels of the vehicles and the windows of the building is distinctly different - pretty much what I'd expect to see given the difference in resolution...