Recent content by KevinP

1. K

Is there an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor coming? [CR1]

9 pages - I’ll add $.02. M5 and M50 are cool little cameras. All the lenses seem plastic, but nice images. Suspect Canon will just watch sales of these vs T7i/77D or T6/T7 models. Go from there. They seem to release 1-2 plastic lenses a year, so they seem to know it’s a low-spend amateur...
  2. K

Why no APS-C "Holy Trinity"?

It's been half a year since you wrote this, but I came to see it your way. I got a used 80D and 18-135 USM around the end of June. Weather seals, battery, and AFMA won me over. I'm pretty happy with that pair for most of my uses. The 18-135 is surprisingly nice for semi-macro shots. A...
  3. K

So where is the EF version of the new 50mm f/1.2?

I think the 50 f/1.2 as an RF is a Sony keep-away move. It's so close to the sensor that an adapter becomes impractical or impossible. The sharpest 50 only fits a Canon. Likewise the 28-70 f/2. When a higher spec body arrives, that'll signal the time to start migrating to Canon mirrorless...
  4. K

EF-X Mirrorless concept

The mount discussions are interesting. If there's a new mount, I wonder if it's hiding in plain sight. There was the rumor article citing a revamped mirrorless mount patent a while back. It looked a lot like the EF-M, but pins and details changed, and a big sensor. Sony E or FE and Canon...
  5. K

Mismatch: 80D vs 5D ii for Portraits?

Thanks for the notes. It sounds like 5Dii is a fine camera for portraits, but the niceties would be slim compared to a camera about 2 generations newer. And, no, I don't have an 85mm to pair with it. As much as I like the 35mm on my crop body, I wonder if the 50 would be more my style...
  6. K

Mismatch: 80D vs 5D ii for Portraits?

I'm enjoying a new to me 80D, and a Canon 50 f/1.8 ii for portraits. We also have the 24 f/2.8 and Younguo f/2 when there isn't enough space for the 50. A new friend told me she has the 5D ii, ii, and iv. She said she really loves the 5D ii for skin tone and texture in portraits. It looks...
  7. K

Anyone else delaying lens purchases until we know more about mirrorless plans?

Mirrorless won’t stop me buying lenses for new to me -used- 80D. Uncertainty on mount and long term plan is steering me to more affordable lenses. That and I have a crop body for reduced cost. A $1900 100-400 isn’t going to happen. I figure my next camera will be a mirrorless. Not sure if...
  8. K

Article: The 5 Reasons Why I Switched Back to Canon From Sony

Lots of leanings on display. I'm in the bargain shopper camp, under $1k for a body. That and a couple lenses are keeping me with Canon. Speed of AF is still in DSLR favor in the low-cost range. IBIS seems 2-4 years out for my price range. Eye AF is arriving in M50 and probably 90D, but a...
  9. K

Deal: Lowepro Photo Hatchback Series BP 150 AW II Backpack $29 (Reg $79)

Thanks for the heads-up. My wife liked the blue color, so we snagged one up.
  10. K

Why no APS-C "Holy Trinity"?

The APS-C upgrade path has been maddening me this year too. It is that cost and size problem. I've looked at the 11-20 f2.8 Tokina, 24-70 f4 macro, and 100-400 Sigma as another affordable-ish crop body trio. A Tamron 24-70 f2.8 (non G2) could be another good option to stay below $800 per zoom...
  11. K

Any hope for a new Sigma/Tamron/Canon 17-50 f2.8?

Good notes, Thank You. I don't have much visibility to market trends besides articles and youtube reviewer notes. It does seem like cell phones are eating the market from bottom up, but it's hard to know when a segment will wither. I do have a Tokina 11-20 f2.8. I've been dreaming of the new...
  12. K

Yeah, the old body lenses all seem due for refresh with the newer OS/VC and autofocus systems. I like the idea of the 17-70, but it has the same weakness as the 15-85: higher f-stop right at the lengths you'd want to shoot low f-stop portraits. I've been shooting a lot at f2.8 on Yongnuo 35...
  13. K

Yeah. I've seen notes going back a couple years on the price drop and anticipation, but it's been hanging for a while. A new body like a T7i or 77D is on the list this year, so I'll probably buy the lens that looks best when I feel ready for that.
  14. K

I keep hoping a new lens will break cover before I get impatient and replace the 18-55 STM kit lens on our SL1. Any indications, or nothing to go on? The 18-55 STM leaves room to get something sharper with either f2.8 for speed, or more range on the zoom as a bonus. The Sigma 17-50 f2.8 seems...
  15. K

7D Mark iii or 90D?

The 7DIII seems more likely. It's 18 months older than the 80D or D500. Hard to be certain though. Mostly, 80D doesn't seem due for replacement on their regular schedule until later 2018 or start of 2019. Rushing an engineering and manufacturing project is hard. It seems like there must be...