Recent content by melgross

1. melgross

Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

Did we really ever doubt this? Canon’s roadmap showed that we should expect this next year, along with the high Rez body for the current lenses. We may see unique lenses as this “report” says, and that’s good. More of the same won’t sell more lenses and bodies.
  2. melgross

Most rented photography & videography gear of 2019 according to Lensrentals

Pretty obvious, from that list, that almost nobody is using Canon gear, particularly pros, they’re all moving to Sony, right?
  3. melgross

What surprises does Canon still have in store for the EOS-1D X Mark III?

Almost every magazine is 150 lines. So photographic quality is being printed at that level. Is it the same as a high quality inkjet? No, but magazine quality is the best most people will ever see. i know a lot about fashion photography, and while clients claim to want high Rez, as soon as the...
  4. melgross

I don’t know, the format is slowly gaining acceptance. It really is much better. For both still and video. Same quality at half the file size, or much better quality and the same file size. in my experience, though not lately, since I’m retired, magazines in a hurry with deadlines prefer HPC...
  5. melgross

Ok, that’s good to know. It’s rare though. If the computer itself doesn’t support it, then having the camera support it won’t help.
  6. melgross

And that’s why the answer is yes, not no. A problem with these types of forums is that the people are skewed towards those who care more about technical advances than the person who is just using the device.
  7. melgross

Ok, so 150 lines of rez, which is a large portion of high quality journals, is 300dpi. But a large number are just 133 lines, which is just 266dpi. a few really high quality publications are 175 lines, which of course, is 350. high quality books are between 150 and 175 lines as well, usually...
  8. melgross

It’s not well supported as yet. Apple supports it, but what cameras do?
  9. melgross

No, I’m not going to tell you that, because it wouldn’t be true. But I did work in fashion and product photography before opening a commercial film lab in NYC with some people where we developed a professional Kodachrome line in conjunction with Kodak, and were one of the first labs to go...
  10. melgross

Believe it or not, most mags use jpeg. It’s often speed to press that matters most. Nobody is sitting there fixing RAW images in the press room. It’s shoot, and transmit. Back at the mag, it’s select and print.
  11. melgross

I used to shoot sports for CBS a a long time ago. Most of that goes to newspapers or magazines, or now, online mags who don’t print more than a lowered rez, small image. It’s rarely over 2,000 x 1500 pixels, and usually a lot smaller.
  12. melgross

I doubt if most pros who use the 1D care much about whether the Rez will be 20 or 24, and probably wouldn’t want more that 24. That’s not the business for this camera.
  13. melgross

SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

Apparently it’s not, though you may think it is. Everybody works differently.
  14. melgross

SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

I’ve seen reviews of Canon lenses with the control ring adapter, and generally, they don’t like it. Too easy to grab the ring and change something.