Recent content by oldageadventurer

1. O

Africaraw.com: 2019 trip photos by old ageadventurers now posting

My wife & I are editing & posting our photographs of our 2019 3 month feb-apr trip to Etosha & Kgalagadi national parks in South Africa. The Kgalagadi was very dry but we had some interersting leopard photos. Etosha was full of waterhole encounters: Lion families, rhino families and elephants +...
  2. O

2016 AfricaRaw photosafari by "old age adventurers" has started posting

Illness unfortunately delayed reasons delayed our postings after the Kgalagadi portfolio. But I have spent last two weeks loading up the pictures my wife took in Etosha in our 2016 trip. She edited them in Lightroom. There are already over 100 and I am now finishing the last ones. Have a look...
  3. O

Thank you all for the kind words. Marianne & I appreciate it very much. We started off 12 years without any experience at all. Do a short course 4x4 driving, hire a reliable car, & go to easier places first e.g. Etosha & the KTFP. Also stay in fenced camps in the beginning. Our "tips" sections...
  4. O

This year our self drive photographic safari was 3 months long from February to May. We chose these dates to coincide with our 50th class reunion at Wits Medical School in Johannesburg. We visited Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park & Etosha National Park, & ended the trip by crossing Botswana quickly...
  5. O

2015 Africaraw selfdrive photosafari gallery now on line

2015 Africaraw selfdrive photosafari gallery update Thanks for the kind comments on the 2015 photos from the Kruger park. I today completed our Etosha portfolio for the 2015 trip. There are 273 photographs, including many action shots & also landscapes, taken during our 6 week stay at Namutoni...
  6. O

2015 Africaraw selfdrive photosafari gallery now on line

In 2015 my wife & I ("old age adventurers") completed another of our annual 3 month selfdrive photosafaris in our LC 4x4 with roof top tent. This year our May to July trip started in the Kruger National Park; we then crossed over via Botswana's trans kalahari highway to Etosha National Park in...
  7. O

Old age adventurers 2014 photosafari photos are now being posted

We have just yesterday finished editing & posting our 2014 portfolio; & there are a total of 359 photos from Kgalagadi & Etosha. We leave tomorrow for our next trek for 3 months in Kruger, Etosha, & Kgalagadi. Roof top tent was repaired & LC 4x4 & fridge serviced so should be able to pick them...
  8. O

The waterholes at Kgalagadi are boreholes put down around 1914 by a Scottish engineer. Thus you often have to zoom in your shots to cut out lead pipes & bricks in the Kgalagadi. However sometimes the solar powered water supply flows over & small rivulets allow very beautiful pictures. My wife &...
  9. O

Thanks for the comments. Warms the creative currents in a slowly aging mind. Much appreciated! We have now just finishing posting our Kgalagadi photos in the 2014 photo safari portfolio (total 165 pictures) & have just moved onto editing & posting the photos we took in Etosha We wanted to...
  10. O

My wife & I continue to spend our pensioner's years in our LC 4x4 with roof top tent in game reserves in Southern Africa. We prefer to go to unfenced camps because of the lonely hours this provides. We are extra careful. But adventures abound. In 2013 a massive lion walked past our camp site. We...
  11. O

2013 photo safari to Southern Africa by Old Age Adventurers

I first noted our first 20 photos from our 2013 photosafari in January on our website www.africaraw.com. I have continued selecting our best photos from the trip to the Kruger, Hwange, Chobe, Caprivi, Etosha, & Kgalagadi parks & there are now 277 wildlife photographs of many mammals & birds...
  12. O

Show your Bird Portraits

Swallow tail bee-eater lands on his favorite perch with yet another meal in the early morning. Taken along the Auob river, Kgalagadi transfrontier park, South Africa. Highly recommended for raptors etc etc etc. We have spent a month each year there for 10 years now.www.africaraw.com
  13. O

Wildlife of the Kruger National Park

Good photos especially considering the limited time you had. KNP is a wonderful park but sightings are soon crowded by other tourists. Thus we prefer the less crowded northern camps e.g. Tsendze & Punda Maria, & go outside the school & public holiday times. But do not forget the Kgalagadi...
  14. O

Please share your own photo web site with us

If you are interested in wildlife photography in Africa have a peep at www.africaraw.com We are old age pensioners & have now spent 3-6 months a year in our 4x4 with roof top tent & other accessories digging ourselves out of sand & mud in many wildlife parks all over Africa. We sometimes take a...
  15. O

2013 photo safari to Southern Africa by Old Age Adventurers

Sorry about the delay in replying. After our return my wife had a hip replacement & had to turn from trying to be a reasonable nature photographer to being a chef. This is the first time in my life!!!!! Standing in front of all the supermarket shelves with their daunting variety of fauna & flora...