Recent content by psolberg

1. P

Industry News: Nikon announces the Nikon Z50 APS-C mirrorless camera body & DX Z-mount lenses

good of them not to introduce a new mount just for cropped sensors on top of the already disruptive switch to Z. All the full frame Z glass will just mount w/o clunky adapters and even "crop mode" should work on full frame bodies using cropped sensor glass. In other words: how it should be...
  2. P

Here’s the upcoming Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM zooming in and out

LOL good one. But hope? more like delusional fans. Like the ones that thought canon would not make a new mount for mirrorless :D
  3. P

Industry News: Sony Expands Full-Frame Lens Lineup with Launch of 24mm F1.4 G Master™ Prime

pretty obvious knock at canon's inability to mount R glass on M bodies. Classic sony marketing ;)
  4. P

So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

the problem with these guys (and nothing personal against him) is that the moment you tell me: buy from my links, I just can't take you any differently than a best buy sales guy working on commission.
  5. P

What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

I agree. Now that people got over the sticker shock of a 2200 dollar 50mm lens and a 3000 dollar 28-70, time to address the less sexy but ever so important "boring" segment. Sub 1K USD primes that don't aim to take some f/stop crown and cost upwards of two grand for a common focal length are a...
  6. P

What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

the NOCT was 58mm. This is the new NOCT hence why it is 58mm. As to why the original NOCT was 58mm, I've read it was because at the time it was the best FL to achieve the design goals: point light source reproduction and minimal sagittal comma flare wide open, mainly geared at nighttime...
  7. P

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

no. not the same. if it was the same, nobody would bother wanting full sensor width video and it wouldn't be present in Sony/Nikon/etc cameras.
  8. P

Canon officially announces the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III & EF 600mm f/4L IS III. The worlds lightest lenses of their kind

this is horrible. I kind of expect the general consumer stuff to go this way for cost savings. hell, I expect the vast majority of lenses to end here. But I was kind of hoping anything that starts to push near or exceeding 10K USD to not be concerned with FBW and retain the current physical...
  9. P

not impossible but if they wait too long it will become an increasingly difficult choice to make: every single one of those R lenses isn't going to mount on the EF bodies. Ok now, but and as the list of updates and "unique" lenses keeps getting longer, it puts people in a tough spot: buy into EF...
  10. P

I didn't dig as deep as to realize all the RF lenses were FBW....yuck. I'm also not too thrilled with this.
  11. P

DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

I agree with their last take: Existing Canon users and Nikon users may see little incentive whatsoever to switch to either brand, but overall Sony still by far the most appealing system to switch to or to outright get in to. They have the most native glass by far and will likely retain that...
  12. P

Opinion: Changing Canon camera lens mounts. How might the RF mount affect you?

I acknowledge your points (don't agree with some but we'll leave it at that) but, IMO they an EF-Z adapter is inevitable regardless. I guess we'll have to see when it happens about how good it is and how much it is. For now off course, Nikon/Canon being usual, are not letting 3rd party have...
  13. P

the way the sony models and the Z6 do it is they do a full 6K readout without line skipping then downscale it to 4K. There is no such thing as "full sensor" readout in video for those particular cameras as the format for 4k is 16:9. What people mean is full sensor width.
  14. P

well it could be worse :D. As predicted expectations were far too high and people still don't get both Nikon/Canon are very conservative companies that were not going to come out with 1DX and D5s without mirror slapping day one. Sony's A7SIII is off course going to be a dazzling spectacle of...
  15. P

Opinion: Changing Canon camera lens mounts. How might the RF mount affect you?

We can't make predictions on what kind of performance we'll see or what kind of performance future Nikon bodies may have using canon glass or Nikon glass. It may perform better, worse, the same, or depend on the lens and the quality of the reverse engineer as well as the fabrication of the...