Recent content by Rudeofus

1. R

Adobe testing a new price point for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan

As far as I know, Adobe CC pricing was never marketed as "promotional", so I guess most people rightly assumed, that US$10/month for a mature and well established product was a sustainable price, which would not increase much beyond adjustments to inflation rate. You may consider US$20/month...
  2. R

It is a classic example of where the people affected by a poor decision are not the people responsible for the decision. Microsoft destroyed their reputation as a trustworthy corporate partner two decades ago while reaping in massive profits. The folks making the decision became filthy rich in...
  3. R

Microsoft as a company may have suffered from their past decisions, but the decision makers from back then reaped healthy profits and no longer have to deal with the consequences. They also did not have to deal with the fallout from shoddy but ubiquitous software, it was society which suffered...
  4. R

I am a senior engineer, so trust me: I do know poor product expense estimates and unexpected rises in final product cost. But none of this is the case here: Adobe's product line is very mature, there are no hints at significant development risks or cost overruns. Adobe is very profitable, too...
  5. R

I share your disagreement with Group 3, and you never read any statement from myself supporting this position. Group 1 may be right or not, let's wait and see how this unfolds. Group 2 is a perfectly valid concern: a price hike of 100% is not a common thing, and a clear sign of market...
  6. R

You've got to be kidding me ... that's what you took home after seven pages of forum postings? The underlying assumption of such services and pricing models is that people don't use up their quota. People with a few hundred MB worth of data effectively subsidize power users and the whole cloud...
  7. R

Present a legal way, how to stop Adobe from engaging in the behavior, which has been discussed in this thread for seven pages already ...
  8. R

They are just in the process of studying, how roughly doubling the price would affect the size of their customer base. I don't think they can make a profit from supporting their software plus storing the full 1TB of pure random data at US$20/month. They can even less likely make a profit from...
  9. R

Here is the best response to a forced offer of 1TB cloud storage (for those who can't just cancel): as many people as possible should fill their unneeded cloud storage space with random data. I am quite sure, that Adobe thought "we'll sell them 1TB, but most will use less than 100GB", planned...
  10. R

Canon releases a product advisory for the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III and EF 600mm f/4L IS III

If the work around is "use only Tv and P mode", the "there are work-around methods" doesn't cut it.
  11. R

Tamron announces the 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD and SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD for Canon EF

AFAIK Tamron/Sigma do sell tons of 24-whatevers and 70-200, just like Canon does. You are correct that there is no point in Tamron/Sigma offering an 18-55.
  12. R

Tamron announces the 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD and SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD for Canon EF

Canon has (among a lineup of very popular lenses) a long list of specialty lenses with a very narrow market (tilt&shift, the long whites, loupe lens, ...), and Tamron/Sigma both have pupular lenses (24-70, 85, 105/150 macros, 70-200, ...) right next to rather uncommon offerings (15-30, 24-35...
  13. R

Canon thinks the camera market will drop by another 50% over the next two years

The number of Canon dSLRs sold every year is huge, and it is orders of magnitude above the number of photographers doing these rather special types of photography. There will always be a need for dSLRs, but the numbers sold to this market segment may or may not support the business model of...
  14. R

Samyang to announce XP 35mm f/1.2 soon

IIRC the Zeiss Milvus is substantially more expensive than the Samyang. Most people are quite happy to get 90% of the performance at less than 10% of the price.
  15. R

Samyang to announce XP 35mm f/1.2 soon

This lens would be much easier in design, cheaper and likely perform much better, if Samyang could have taken advantage of Canon R's shorter flange distance. Until third party makers become able to fully support Canon's R mount - that means without an extension ring like adapter - there is...