Recent content by Sator

1. S

Teardown: Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

One more critical point. It is in Sony's vested self-interest to claim that a 35mm mount with APS-C dimensions presents no optical engineering limitations. It is in Canon's vested self-interest to claim that their time and effort in developing a new 35mm mirrorless mount with optimal dimensions...
  2. S

Of course, Sony would claim this. Sony issued this denial only with respect to the particular concern that the FE mount would not be able to support ultra-wide apertures. That is NOT the criticism of an ASP-C dimension 35mm format mount that Canon has come up with. The Canon internal R&D...
  3. S

Exactly. A Sony engineer gave a public talk in Japan in which he admitted that there was a heated debate within the company as to whether they should retro-convert their APS-C E mount into a 35mm format mount. That suggests that there were almost certainly dissenters amongst the Sony engineers...
  4. S

The most important thing in this article was this statement: "Canon claims that the shorter back focus distance with a wider opening allows them to place larger elements closer to the sensor to achieve this. The fact that the rear element is a large aspheric with subwavelength coating, and that...
  5. S

Industry News: Fujifilm GFX 100 specifications leak, 100mp medium format camera on the way

I love calling 35mm format, small format, and a subframe, crop format because it drives the "full frame" hyperbolists bonkers. Funny, we never used to call 35mm format, "full frame" in the film era. https://photonicshunkan.blogspot.com/2019/04/what-does-full-frame-mean.html
  6. S

Industry News: Fujifilm GFX 100 specifications leak, 100mp medium format camera on the way

What Nokishita has actually written is 1億2百万 1億= 100M 2百万 = 2M 100M & 2M make 102M Babelfish gets it right. Try it. If you run it through Google translator, it wrongly translates it as 120M. Oddly if you run 2百万 through Google it says 2M but as part of 1億2百万, it gets it wrong. BTW 120M would be...
  7. S

A new Canon DSLR seems to be getting teased on social media by a Canon ambassador

I am going to stick my neck out and say it is going to be a digital version of the 35mm format EOS-1N RS camera: This was the last pellicle mirror camera that Canon made. It finished production around 2002. Canon have a tradition of making pellicle mirror cameras eg the Pellix line, going...
  8. S

Zeiss officially announces the ZEISS Otus 1.4/100

For this sort of money Zeiss better make it the best money can buy (at least in 35mm format lenses). I hope Lens Rental doesn't find that the MTF plots of the Sigma 105mm f/1.4 are already better than those of the Otus 1.4/100. If so then the Otus is dead on arrival. Sadly, there is good reason...
  9. S

Is the EOS 7D Mark II the last in the 7D series? We’re told that it is [CR1]

Count me in as a sceptic about this latest piece of gossip (it doesn't even deserve to be called a rumour). For a start, Canon has no other top of the line APS-C system (system meaning not only bodies but lenses as well) for shooting sports and wildlife. The EOS-M system is certainly in no...
  10. S

New DSLR Series Coming in 2018? [CR1]

Since we are all in wild speculation mode, I might as well throw my 5 yen worth in too. Ages ago, Egami found a Canon patent for a SLT system. Canon wouldn't call it that, they would call it a pellicle mirror camera. I do wonder if there are limitations to how fast you can get a reflex mirror...
  11. S

Off Brand: Sony Introduces Two New Wide-Angle Full-Frame E-Mount Lenses

The reason the 12-24mm is a G rather than a GM, as well as why it isn't an 11-24mm, is likely related to the difficulty in making ultra wide angle lenses for a 135 format mount with an APS-C dimension flange distance. Without a curved sensor, ultra wide angle focal lengths cause the corner angle...
  12. S

Off Brand: Sony Announces the A9

More exactly, this 24MP stacked sensor would have made more sense in A mount because they already have decent long telephoto primes for A mount. It would also balance between ergonomically with large telephoto lenses. You would have gotten 20fps shooting with the mechanical shutter and all the...
  13. S

Off Brand: Sony Announces the A9

If this is true and the mechanical shutter limits you to shooting at 5fps, it could be a problem shooting action because the electronic shutter can introduce motion artefact. Isn't the point of this camera to shoot sports and wildlife? It's not meant to do macro or architectural photography of...
  14. S

Quicker Camera Chips With Global Shutter Coming

The development of the 120MP sensor was officially announced by Canon way back in 2010: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/120_megapixel_apsh_format_cmos_sensor.do The development of this stacked sensor (it is beyond the resolution limits of a Bayer sensor, hence why it is said to be...
  15. S

Why Focus Peaking Would be Useful on a DSLR Camera

For those who have never used focus peaking on MF lenses, it is not PDAF based so that it will not lose accuracy if the lens plane is thrown off the focal plane of the off-focal plane PDAF sensor. In fact, it remains just as inaccurate with T-S lenses as it is with ultra fast lenses. I have used...