Recent content by Steve Balcombe

1. S

More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

Including the UK where nobody knows what Pajero means.
  2. S

Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

I'm just glad I don't need to buy anything right now, because if I did I wouldn't have a clue which way to jump. I'm one of those early 7D and 7D2 owners who has since spent a small fortune on Canon lenses. I do now also have a 5D4 but what I really want is for the 7D2 to be brought up to date -...
  3. S

Canon registers a 32.5mp APS-C DSLR in Taiwan

Yep, pixels-per-bird is key. If Canon can merely equal the dynamic range of the 80D (which is 24 MP, remember, so it's not such a big leap) along with the handling and speed of the 7D2 and the AF of the 5D4, I'll be very happy. I've never felt the need for any more resolution from the 80D which...
  4. S

Thoughts on the Canon EOS R roadmap

Actually there's a well-known story in marketing about a manufacturer which reduced the number of 'flavours' of shampoo and conditioner they offered and it resulted in an increase in sales. How well consumer choices of either hair products or pasta sauces compare with sales of £300-£5000...
  5. S

5 axis IBIS coming to next Canon EOS R series camera [CR2]

Canon's Hybrid IS also includes X and Y, but this is only significant at close focusing distances which is why it has so far only been included in the 100L Macro, 24-70/4L IS (0.7x macro capability) and now the RF 35/1.8 IS Macro. That just leaves roll, which can't be corrected optically, but I...
  6. S

The upcoming RF mount wide angle f/2.8L zoom will be wider than 16mm [CR2]

The strange thing is, that has a much more bulbous front element than any version of the EF16-35/2.8. <shrug> It's just a patent, maybe a different design will be the basis for the actual RF ultrawide zoom, when it comes.
  7. S

Yes, but RF allows designs which were not possible for the EF mount. The whole point of what I was saying was that a 14-35/2.8 with a less bulbous front element and a 77 mm filter thread might now become possible.
  8. S

The original 16-35/2.8L takes 77 mm filters, and one of the characteristics Canon has talked about for wide/normal RF lenses is smaller front elements and larger rear elements. This is because they are not so strongly retrofocal so they don't need such extreme negative elements in the front...
  9. S

Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

Because for anyone who actually uses the 7D class performance, smaller and fiddlier to operate is the last thing you need.
  10. S

Patent: Canon Wide Angle Zoom for Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Basically the same solution as EF-S, just another variation. Very neat as it totally avoids the need for an adapter. I'm sure it would be no problem to piggy-back a more modern communications protocol onto the EF mount, or add two or three new pins which are out of reach of EF lenses.
  11. S

Is the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Still Being Announced This Month?

How do you update a lens which is almost faultless but is perceived as old? Just about the only thing I would change is to make it shorter (physically I mean), but only if that didn't impact on the IQ and only if it was still Extender-compatible. An internally-zooming 70-200 which fits in a...
  12. S

Tony & Chelsea: Stupid Terms in Photography

If you skip to the end, the whole thing turns out to be a commercial for their book. What a surprise. She puts down the "nerds" who can explain what the terms mean, threatening to out-sass them - why would anybody do that? Oh I see, it's because then nobody would need to buy the book.
  13. S

Solved: Update From Aurora Aperture About Focus Shift Issue With Rear Mount NDs

So when I'm shooting over seawater I'm required to remove the lens, leaving the mirror and sensor exposed to the sea spray, swap a filter over with my salty wet hands, then refit the lens. Then if the camera is still working, take the shot? Got it.