Recent content by sturdiva

1. sturdiva

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Eye by Eric Sturdivant, on Flickr Rented this lens for a week to play with. Not sure I would purchase it (I found the focus speed to be a bit slow), but it was fun to play with.
  2. sturdiva

35mm f/2 IS USM AF noise

mine is very quiet, similar to the 24-70 2.8 (mark I), or 70-200 f/4
  3. sturdiva

prime focal length choices

Good idea (feel slightly silly not thinking of that). I had gone through my lightroom catalog looking for most used focal lengths, but that really seemed to only lead me towards the extreme ends of my zooms (24, 70, and 200).
  4. sturdiva

Sorry, I've modified the original post. I'm shooting with a 5d3 and mostly looking at the primes for indoor event shooting and environmental portraiture. I've got a 24-70 and 70-200, so I have all of these focal lengths covered, I'm looking at the primes for low light capabilities and shallower dof.
  5. sturdiva

I'm looking to get a few primes, and wondered if others could provide some info on why they chose the focal lengths they own. For example, I'm considering the two following combinations: 24, 50, 135 or 35, 85. Anyone with preferences of one of these combinations over the other? (I'm...
  6. sturdiva

Bought 24-70 f/2.8 II -Soft, owners, please advice

Did you have mirror lockup turned on? With such a long exposure, even on a tripod, you can get camera shake. Better bet is to try this with better lighting, to remove that variable.
  7. sturdiva

Which Canon Picture Style(s) do you use (for photos)?

this is what I do as well.
  8. sturdiva

HELP! - Different Colors Using PS/LR and the Browser - What am I doing wrong?

Are you exporting your pictures for the web using the sRGB color space, or keeping them at ProPhoto? (you want to use sRGB for the web).
  9. sturdiva

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2545

I purchased a 5d3 from them last november for a similar price, item arrived in the kit box, without the 24-105, but with a usa warranty card, and I was able to register the camera online with CPS. Hope this helps.
  10. sturdiva

Backbutton Focus..do you use it? Pros? Cons? How hard to get used to it?

I seem to be doing the opposite of everyone else on this thread (which probably means I'm missing something). I used back button focus on my t2i/550d for everything. I would use the center point, and the focus and recompose. Like most others, this worked pretty well for me, except for issues...
  11. sturdiva

B&H discontinues the LEE 105mm Circular Polariser (as per B&H email)

Got in touch with Henry Posner at B&H, seems to have been a mixup in their inventory system, both the big stopper and 105mm CPL are back on the B&H website now. Here was his response: Henry Posner ‏@h_posner 13m @sturdiva Possibly the buyer miscoded an out-of-stock item accidentally as being DIS
  12. sturdiva

Lee Big Stopper Discontinued by B&H?

Got in touch with Henry Posner at B&H, seems to have been a mixup in their inventory system, both the big stopper and 105mm CPL are back on the B&H website now. Here was his response: Henry Posner ‏@h_posner 13m @sturdiva Possibly the buyer miscoded an out-of-stock item accidentally as being DISC.
  13. sturdiva

Lee Big Stopper Discontinued by B&H?

Re: Lee Big Stopper Discontinued? From the LEE twitter feed: Contrary to misinformation, the Big Stopper has NOT been discontinued. Due to an extremely high demand we're filling backorders asap https://twitter.com/LEEFilters/statuses/361917539690889216
  14. sturdiva

Underwater Cameras

GoPro seems like an interesting route, does anyone know if it has exposure compensation, and if it shoots raw stills?
  15. sturdiva

Underwater Cameras

(Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure which area it should go). I've got a trip to Jamaica coming up in a few months and was looking into underwater options to play around with. This isn't something particularly serious for me, so I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on it...