Recent content by SwissFrank

1. S

Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

Besides IBIS what I really want to see is increased dynamic range. They have some patents that would be able to get 14+ stops of range, with a sensor design that'd also be able to avoid rolling shutter. I'd like something like that more than almost anything else.
  2. S

Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

for every spec level there's a corresponding price level
  3. S

Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM

BTW, if you can cope with manual focus, a Chinese brand Kipon has a line of f/2.4 primes: 24 28 35 50 75 90. Bic Camera in Tokyo doesn't stock them in the store, they're web-shop only, and web-shop doesn't do returns, but in principle its an interesting option. I'm shooting my Leica 35/1.4 on...
  4. S

I'm waiting, not for "affordable" but at least "always-in-the-backpack portable". That said, takes years to engineer an entire outfit that's all things to all people. Had they started with the 35/2 and 50/1.8 you can get for any system in the last 60 years, it wouldn't have people rushing to...
  5. S

Exactly, and that's why I'm shocked people are saying, oh no, the 135/1.4 will be MUCH cheaper than a 200/2 or 300/2.8. No it bloody won't, because as you point out, it IS a 200/2 or 300/2.8, at least with a relatively cheap TC...
  6. S

No, just as the 135/2 and 200/2.8 are practically the same lens, the 135/1.4 and 200/2 will be too. Canon's clearly prioritizing light weight in the big tele's now, so the 135/1.4 may weigh a lot less than the old EF 200/2, but will be approx the same as the next 200/2 we see from Canon whether...
  7. S

Industry News: Leica announces the M10 Monochrom

The textbook answer is hyperfocal focusing. I don't have a chart in front of me but just to make up some numbers that are vaguely real-worldish, on a sunny day with 100 ISO film (or camera sensor) I can use the "sunny 16" rule and set f/16. At f/16, if I set the lens to 2m, then everything...
  8. S

Industry News: Leica announces the M10 Monochrom

Thx GCL. I'll take exception to this part: "However, not all advantages will be realizable, depending on intended use. For example, those familiar with traditional black and white photography may want to use lens-mounted color filters to control scene contrast. This might include using a red...
  9. S

My mistake, I assumed you'd notice the similarity of the three lenses I was talking about in terms of being fast, short-medium telephotos of a single product line (EF L) by a single manufacturer and comperable quality.
  10. S

I'm not. There are clearly other factors in my comparison such as all being medium-long telephoto primes, etc. I'm hardly talking about zooms and your counterexample seems like you're trying to just annoy me rather than help anyone. Go bother someone else.
  11. S

What I REALLY want to see is a 135/1, with a 135mm front element... ... that gives perfectly round highlights when stopped down to 1.4. In essence it'd be designed to shoot at 1.4 but since that requires a far bigger front element to get circular highlights with, we let you open it up to 1.0 if...
  12. S

Why would it cost half??!! The aperture (not f-stop), or entrance pupil, of 135 / 1.4 = 96mm or 200 / 2 = 100mm or 300 / 2.8 = 107mm isn't much different. All these lenses should cost approximately the same. [ EDIT: I thought it was totally obvious that I was comparing similar lenses...
  13. S

I think the most comperable ones are the 24-105/4IS and I think the 35/1.8IS macro (which doesn't have an exact parallel but the RF seems smaller than the parallel would probably be) and finally, sure, why not the 70-200, possibly the most-used professional lens? Granted both systems have a...
  14. S

Patent: Canon RF 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM and more

Why are you thinking the price will be higher? I agree it could be but not necessarily a given from my perspective. I grant some of the early lineup (e.g., 50/1.2) were hugely more expensive but they're clearly a quantuum leap in IQ. The 24-105/4IS seems to be 126,000 yen for the EF vs...
  15. S

Nifty Fifty and/or a Pancake lens are coming to the RF mount in 2020 [CR3]

This is my fear (the phrase I made bold). I don't mind expensive, but I'm worried that there's simply no amount of expensive special glass that you can design a 50/1.8 with and end up with stellar IQ (in other words, far better than the EF 50s, of which I've used all of them and they all were...