Recent content by tarntyke

1. tarntyke

Show your Bird Portraits

Audubon's warbler is a sub-species of yellow-rumped warbler as is the Myrtle warbler. A further complication is that both sub-species can interbreed with each other and the main species. I agree with the ID of female Audobon's warbler. Congratulations on your photo and your determination to get...
  2. tarntyke

Show your Bird Portraits

@dpc you could try merlin bird Id app for iOS. It is by Cornell lab. It has a photo Id section where you upload a photo of your bird and input details of location, time of year and habitat etc. Obviously not perfect but helps when you don't have access to a reliable birder. Canon rumours has a...
  3. tarntyke

Suggestions / Issues with the New CR Site

The deleted member was listed as Nik this morning. So either he found a way of deleting his account or admin did it for him. His original question is valid - how do you delete your account should you wish to?
  4. tarntyke

Show your Bird Portraits

In the other thread Jack Douglas suggests merging it with this thread. BIF is still a reasonable size where this is getting tediously long. Is it time for bird portraits 2?
  5. tarntyke

More Full Frame Mirrorless Talk, Maybe Some Surprises? [CR1]

My usually unreliable source has sent me some images of a prototype of the next FF mirrorless camera. It may be used in BBC's 4K/uhd coverage of the World Cup, so look out for it. The final version will be released on completion of a working codec by HarryFilm. My printout of the email was...
  6. tarntyke

Experiences with ON1 Photo RAW 2018?

To get Lightroom to produce colours similar to the jpeg you need to change the camera profile it uses. In the latest version of classic 7.3 this is in the basic panel. In previous versions it is hidden in the calibration panel I think. You can change the profile to one specific to your camera...
  7. tarntyke

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

This looks like a female mallard to me. Grey ducks have green wing flash and white stripes above and below the eyes. I am based in U.K. so have not seen a grey duck (the term is used for 3 different species), so I could easily be wrong. Having looked into this some more hybrids of grey duck and...
  8. tarntyke

@ snappy While I love taking pictures of wildlife, I'm not a true birder, so not sure. Originally thought it was a redtail hawk, looks like it possibly is? I think this one shows the bird clearer, but the background was a bit less interesting :) Could it be a female Northern Harrier?
  9. tarntyke

Show your Bird Portraits

Sorry Jack, but I'm a female house sparrow and I'm cute. We all are in Yorkshire lol.
  10. tarntyke

Show your Bird Portraits

My guess is either black-tailed or blue-grey gnatcatcher. Do you have a pic showing underside of its tail?
  11. tarntyke

Batch process a watermark?

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/1926/photoshop-elements-how-to-watermark-an-entire-folder-of-photos/
  12. tarntyke

My pet P. audax after molting - big surprise!

Phiddippus audax - average size of adults ranges from roughly 13–20 millimetres (0.51–0.79 in) in length. Chilean Rose tarantula - medium sized tarantula. Mature females will have a body length of up to about 7.5 centimeters (three inches) and a leg span of about fifteen centimeters (six...
  13. tarntyke

My pet P. audax after molting - big surprise!

Why not revert to your original choice of name? After all Anansi was a trickster! He fooled you and would have fooled many more. Excellent photos and story. A friend of mine had a Chilean Rose which he called Tyson as he thought he was vicious. He gave it to me - turned out to be a female to go...
  14. tarntyke

+1 nice shot, but common subject? Bill is more hooked than black-headed gull. Head is more black than chocolate brown. For location (California ?) Laughing gull or Franklin's gull more likely. Either species would get my birder friends twitching here in U.K.
  15. tarntyke

Show your Bird Portraits

Thanks Click @Jack Your female lesser scaup may be in moult so lacks white around bill