Recent content by woodman411

1. W

Patent: Lots of EF-M zoom optical formulas

For a system as small as the M, I don't mind a little more weight if it means all-metal build quality. That said, the Sony 16-70 f/4 isn't too far away in size from the longer Canon R 24-105 f/4, 2-5/8 x 3" (66.6 x 75 mm) versus 3.29 x 4.22” (83.5 x 107.3mm), respectively. Canon could easily...
  2. W

Patent: Lots of EF-M zoom optical formulas

Out of curiosity, what is the fastest/smallest constant aperture zoom lens with at least 50mm of range, regardless of system?
  3. W

Canon #1 in Japanese market share for both DSLR and mirrorless in 2018

It's in the review-site's interest to level the playing field. If there is one dominant and superior player, the smaller players don't really matter, there is no need to have a review site. Seen this many times in other areas - cars, mobile devices, etc. magazine/review sites will favor the...
  4. W

Canon #1 in Japanese market share for both DSLR and mirrorless in 2018

This must roil Rishi and DPR. I suppose they'll say "the Japanese are misinformed, don't know anything about dynamic range, and they're stuck with a bunch of Canon lenses so they can't change... why don't they just listen to us and buy Sony?!"
  5. W

DPReview: Canon EOS R vs Nikon Z 6 vs Sony a7 III, which is best?

If I understand correctly, your issue is primarily the face/eye detect focusing. Which is strange because the fact detect on my 5d4 is pretty accurate at f/1.2 for the nearest eye. Hopefully a firmware update can help.
  6. W

So you disagree with Bryan Carnathan's findings? If so, please provide your rebuttal, as specifically as possible, thanks.
  7. W

Notice the difference in his comments versus most others that bash Canon with very little substance. It's obvious that both Sung Park (the OP in that thread, sungparkphotography.com) and Jeff from gr8photography.com are pro's that have tried both systems extensively, they find pros and cons in...
  8. W

DPR is entitled to their opinions, just like people in a public forum can post their's, don't think anyone disagrees that DPR has some visibility, but I stopped reading their site a long time ago so I guess it has zero visibility for me. You've posted your opinion on Sony, I'll post mine. I like...
  9. W

First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

It will be interesting to see if an updated EF 50 1.2L ever comes out, along with the 24-70 f/2.8L IS. If either doesn't show up for EF, it'll be time to switch over.
  10. W

DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

May I ask what you meant in the video (@ 8:20): "the bar is set by the best mirrorless right now and some of these cameras fall quite short of this bar in many respects" ? Did I misunderstand that "these cameras" refer to Nikon and Canon, and "the bar" is Sony?
  11. W

As I mentioned, I used to read DPR, and I watched your video in this OP, so my feelings are based on what I see directly, not hearsay. If that was true, DPR and TDP reviews would be similar. They are not. Not even close. I have no doubt you can see positives in various brands. My point is...
  12. W

Hello Rishi, yes I must have missed it in the a7r2 review, I stopped reading DPR reviews a while ago, because the Sony bias is so strong. It's there. Just because the 5d4 and 1dx2 got good DPR ratings and Sony reviews have their weaknesses listed, doesn't mean there is no bias (after all, if...
  13. W

Let's not give DPR and Rishi more attention, they are a thinly veiled anti-Canon review site who overemphasize Sony strengths (his obsession with dynamic range is just one example) while glossing over their weaknesses. Funny in this video it is Chris who mentions that Canon R will focus wide...
  14. W

Canon officially announces the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM

This lens has me interested again in the M system. Might need to shop around for an M50 now...
  15. W

This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

First of all, I'm really sorry you can't get USA prices in the UK. To make it worse, we usually don't pay any sales tax either (or VAT). And we have Greentoe and CanonPriceWatch, who usually can match gray market prices from authorized Canon retailers, plus no sales tax. Does that make it worse...