Last week we reported about a patent showing IBIS in a DSLR. We've known for quite some time that IBIS was coming to the next EOS R cameras, but that was the first indication that IBIS was also being developed for DSLRs. As always, just because something appears in a patent, doesn't automatically mean it'll appear in a released product.

We have been told that Canon will “definitely” bring IBIS to “select” DSLRs in the near future. The source wasn't sure which camera(s) would be getting IBIS, but the EOS 90D, which is coming in the next couple of months would be a good bet, especially if the EOS 90D is in fact replacing both the EOS 80D and EOS 7D Mark II.

The other upcoming DSLR that should probably get IBIS is the EOS-1D X Mark III, a camera we expect to hear more about in the first half of 2020. Nikon is rumoured to be adding IBIS to the upcoming D6.

More to come…

Some of our articles may include affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.

Go to discussion...

Share.

129 comments

1. Maybe they have solved the heat transfer issues. The sensor has to both move and transfer heat to a heat sink (usually the metal body). When shooting 4K video, heat is a huge issue. Live view as in mirrorless is constantly generating heat. As soon as sensors warm up, so do their noise levels, and if they get too warm, the camera must shut down to prevent damage.
  2. Maybe they have solved the heat transfer issues. The sensor has to both move and transfer heat to a heat sink (usually the metal body). When shooting 4K video, heat is a huge issue. Live view as in mirrorless is constantly generating heat. As soon as sensors warm up, so do their noise levels, and if they get too warm, the camera must shut down to prevent damage.
    As long as you can turn IBIS off when not needed (e.g., on a tripod), then noise can be controlled in special situations. With lens IS there probably won’t be a noticeable difference (IBIS on or off) in many other situations.
  3. As long as you can turn IBIS off when not needed (e.g., on a tripod), then noise can be controlled in special situations.
    I don't see how turning IBIS off changes thermal conductivity of the attachment of the sensor to the body.
  4. I don't see how turning IBIS off changes thermal conductivity of the attachment of the sensor to the body.
    The sensor could be parked in a better position for heat transfer when IBIS is off. Just speculating, but that is what I would try to do in the design.
  5. I really don't care about IBIS, but it does sound the 90D is shaping up to be one heck of a camera. Hoping for more leaks over the coming weeks.
    I hope the internets are not setting us up for a disappointment.
  6. IBIS is a fragile feature. Seems unlikely for the 1DX3.
    Not necessarily, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, etc... all have IBIS in their cameras and its quite durable and rugged.
  7. Not necessarily, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, etc... all have IBIS in their cameras and its quite durable and rugged.
    Yeah, but how well would it cope with a 14fps mirror shock?
  8. Yeah, but how well would it cope with a 14fps mirror shock?
    Canon has implemented methods of reducing mirror shock in quite a few of their FF DSLRs, also if DSLRs from 10 years back had reliable sensor shift stabilisation then today's mechanisms should be much better in that regard.
  9. Canon is doomed!;)
    First page..:D

It looks like 90D will be my next camera of choice although I love my 77D.
    How very, very original. Nice first impression, repeating "Canon is doomed" like so many other initial responders. Hope this inanity is going to be tiresome even to those posting it. Saying the same thing over and over, sarcastically or otherwise, begins to sound...troubled.
  10. Looks like a lot of new technology and a big jump from the 80d. Will the 90d maybe cost as much as a 7d2? Or will they somehow cripple it?
    They mainly do this if a similar Canon camera has been released months before or will be released within a year. By killing the 7D series there is no other APS-C DSLR the 90D would have to fear. It will become the APS-C flagship.

Leave a comment

Please log in to your forum account to comment