Western Canada

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AJ said:
ethanz said:
It would be a rental car, could be an SUV if necessary, but we probably wouldn't be going on crazy dirt roads.

Well I'm not really sure where, mostly looking for ideas of great places.

This is a rough idea of a possible trip itinerary:

In August you will not be needing an SUV. The roads here are paved or good quality gravel. I'd sooner spend the money on a camper van. It'll make for a much more memorable trip compared to motel rooms.

I'm not sure how much time you have, but that's an ambitious itinerary. You'll be spending a lot of time driving. Personally I'd concentrate on the Banff-Louise-Jasper road and spend most of my time there, with detours into Kananaskis and the east and west Kootenays. But I'm from Calgary so maybe I'm biased.

I see tourist buses to the Banff-Jasper highway in a day. That's just crazy. I've spent a lifetime exploring and I still haven't seen it all.

My tip: go camping at the Columbia icefield, then before dawn hike up to Wilcox Pass to watch the sunrise over the Columbia icefield. If it's a clear day your jaw will drop, guaranteed.

AJ, you are indeed biased. However that's not necessarily bad ;)

As a proud Albertan I must say that I also envy BC. So much of BC is amazing and some of what's amazing the average public in Canada is unaware of, or maybe it's too wild for their taste. Of course, all of our suggestions or comments are subjective and biased. I love the interior of BC, the circle routes are cool etc. I don't like the commercial aspects of Banff while many tourists do.

The suggestion of a small motorhome or camper rental is a good one, I think. Also, as stated, should one hurry around everywhere or rather dig deeper to enjoy a smaller area. I too prefer not biting off more than I can chew.

I agree that it would be a shame not to fully explore the Jasper-Banff highway, especially for scenery and Wilcox pass is truly amazing!! But so are the amazing trails at Illecillewaet.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/glacier/activ/randone-hiking

Jack

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ethanz said:
Any advice for good camper rentals in the Vancouver to Calgary area? I've never rented one before.

We were able to book at the Mt Assiniboine lodge for two nights in early August, so that should be great.

I plan to bring the 16-35, 70-200, and 200-400 (in case there's wild life).

Since our fine Prime Minister has arranged for everyone to have pot by then there should be lots of wild life. Or did you mean wildlife?

Remember the Yellowhead, BC -> Alberta is a great route too. I could possibly check into rentals for Edmonton if that helped.

Jack

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Oh, I've heard your PM is a fine person ::)

This is my route so far, with most of the time spent in Jasper / Banff. Any suggestions for things to see on that route, after Vancouver and before Jasper? I assumed that going north out of Vancouver instead of east would be more remote and less built up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 1.34.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 1.34.59 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ethanz, well I could easily be trying to persuade you in many directions. For one thing there are highways in the interior of BC that form loops and they go to many interesting places, i.e. Barkerville. I'm presently dying to go to Bella Coola, which you could do heading north but I'm guessing you won't have time for all that is possible - there is a ton!!

If you like, do some checking of the various routes and bounce the ideas off me. I'm not the travel expert but I have been to all the places pretty much over many years.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ethanz said:
Wow, talk about hotel shortage. Its almost impossible to find a hotel room in Jasper in the first part of August. Or I'm just late to the table.

Probably late for popular places but there are motels not right in the town site. I'm not too helpful on this topic because we sleep in our motorhome 95% of the time at campsites but those also fill up. It's one reason I prefer more out of the way places.

Jack

Upvote 0