Experiences with ON1 Photo RAW 2018?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I'm just getting started with it. I have avoided PS due to the learning curve. I'm efficient and pretty good with LR.

That said, I'm for the Anthony Morganti link. I am finding the program a bit difficult, so hopefully, I'll be up and running in no time.

Scott

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
scottkinfw said:
I'm just getting started with it. I have avoided PS due to the learning curve. I'm efficient and pretty good with LR.

That said, I'm for the Anthony Morganti link. I am finding the program a bit difficult, so hopefully, I'll be up and running in no time.

Scott

Well, like anything, it just takes a bit of time working with the tool, research (youtube is your friend) and sweat.

But once you get the concepts down, most any tool works in a similar fashion.

As for PS....well, that thing is a powerhouse of what you can do with it, but for about 98% at least of what most photographers do, a LR or ON1 RAW type tool does most of the work, and your PS or Affinity Photo apps, are there for more "heavy lifting", doing heavy composites, sky replacements or very difficult masking of such, or really difficult retouching and object removal, etc.

It is definitely worth learning, IMHO...and can take your creativity to new levels, but like you said, there is a learning curve.

But its a fun one.
:)

I got interested in PS type stuff back when CreativeLive was a fun new thing. They still have lots of daily free content you might go check out for all types of applications like we're discussing here.

Anyway, hope to hear back from you on how it is going!!!

cayenne

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
scottkinfw said:

Scott

Well, like anything, it just takes a bit of time working with the tool, research (youtube is your friend) and sweat.

As for PS....well, that thing is a powerhouse of what you can do with it, but for about 98% at least of what most photographers do, a LR or ON1 RAW type tool does most of the work, and your PS or Affinity Photo apps, are there for more "heavy lifting", doing heavy composites, sky replacements or very difficult masking of such, or really difficult retouching and object removal, etc.

It is definitely worth learning, IMHO...and can take your creativity to new levels, but like you said, there is a learning curve.

But its a fun one.

I got interested in PS type stuff back when CreativeLive was a fun new thing. They still have lots of daily free content you might go check out for all types of applications like we're discussing here.

cayenne

This is what I'm really liking ON1 for, that is, On1 is taking the few tools many photographers use in Photoshop and putting them into one program. ON1 is no photoshop but the few tools I use in photoshop are right there in ON1 for me to use such as sky replacement, layers etc etc. Lots of "heavy lifting" so to speak can all be done right in On1 and I do believe later this year when I'm due to renew my Lightroom/Photoshop subscription, I won't do it and probably just be using ON1 only from that day forward as a stand alone photo editor.

I'm finding myself right now using ON1 more than Lightroom most of the time and Lightroom more and more is just becoming a photo importer and organizer only.....Adobe Lightroom is quickly becoming too expensive just to be an image importer and organizer.

ADDED: Just to note also if you are using both Lightroom and ON1 and creating sidecar files in ON1.....is that if you move files around in your catalog in Lightroom that the ON1 sidecar files will not "tag and drag" with the file. I learned this the hard way and had a major mess (still do) with ON1 sidecars.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Durf said:
cayenne said:
scottkinfw said:

Scott

One of the holdbacks for me going full On1 RAW vs LR...as the import of my files off my memory card.

With that last .1 update, they actually did a good job on setting it up for import, at least how I like to do it.

I like to bring in pics in groups, put into named folders, send to backup NAS on the network, and rename the files.

I have presets set up for doing this and it works pretty darned good so far.

You have to hit the File-> Import menu option to open those configurable options up, if you've not done that yet, give it a look!!

At some point, I'm doing to give the Layers section of the On1 app a try, to see how well it does what I consider to be PS/Affinity Photo work.

I've been concentrating on all the other On1 Stuff first, however, since it all is 101% non-destructive and working on RAW.

Oh, and too, On1 has a catalog of a sort which I like.
I put the top level folder where all my images come into in that folder, and it then tracks things....sees files that changed (new added, etc)...and makes searching quite easy, just like in LR.

If you've not looked at that, give it a try and maybe look at the latest video tutorials from On1 that show these features.

HTH,

C

But its a fun one.

cayenne

This is what I'm really liking ON1 for, that is, On1 is taking the few tools many photographers use in Photoshop and putting them into one program. ON1 is no photoshop but the few tools I use in photoshop are right there in ON1 for me to use such as sky replacement, layers etc etc. Lots of "heavy lifting" so to speak can all be done right in On1 and I do believe later this year when I'm due to renew my Lightroom/Photoshop subscription, I won't do it and probably just be using ON1 only from that day forward as a stand alone photo editor.

I'm finding myself right now using ON1 more than Lightroom most of the time and Lightroom more and more is just becoming a photo importer and organizer only.....Adobe Lightroom is quickly becoming too expensive just to be an image importer and organizer.

ADDED: Just to note also if you are using both Lightroom and ON1 and creating sidecar files in ON1.....is that if you move files around in your catalog in Lightroom that the ON1 sidecar files will not "tag and drag" with the file. I learned this the hard way and had a major mess (still do) with ON1 sidecars.

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
Durf said:
cayenne said:
scottkinfw said:

Scott

One of the holdbacks for me going full On1 RAW vs LR...as the import of my files off my memory card.

With that last .1 update, they actually did a good job on setting it up for import, at least how I like to do it.

I like to bring in pics in groups, put into named folders, send to backup NAS on the network, and rename the files.

I have presets set up for doing this and it works pretty darned good so far.

You have to hit the File-> Import menu option to open those configurable options up, if you've not done that yet, give it a look!!

At some point, I'm doing to give the Layers section of the On1 app a try, to see how well it does what I consider to be PS/Affinity Photo work.

I've been concentrating on all the other On1 Stuff first, however, since it all is 101% non-destructive and working on RAW.

Oh, and too, On1 has a catalog of a sort which I like.
I put the top level folder where all my images come into in that folder, and it then tracks things....sees files that changed (new added, etc)...and makes searching quite easy, just like in LR.

If you've not looked at that, give it a try and maybe look at the latest video tutorials from On1 that show these features.

HTH,

C

But its a fun one.

cayenne

Yes, I've looked at all that, this last update really change the game for me. They have it to where you can do meta data presents on import too. I'm almost there on board with them to where I can use them for a stand alone editor. I'm hoping this next update will have some bug fixes I've had issues with and also a history trail of edits to go to-fall back on....and a few other things.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
scottkinfw said:

Scott

Hi Scott,
Have a look here if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/user/onOneSoftwareU

Its worth paying the extra for on1 Plus, allows access to more info on tutorials.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
cayenne said:
scottkinfw said:

Scott
Thank you Cayenne.

I am not one to quit, so I have been watching youtube. I'll get it.

Scott

But its a fun one.

cayenne

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
eml58 said:
scottkinfw said:

Scott

Thank you Edward.

Your pics are looking even better! Your last landscapes were awesome.

Scott

Hi Scott,
Have a look here if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/user/onOneSoftwareU

Its worth paying the extra for on1 Plus, allows access to more info on tutorials.

Upvote 0
This is just a simple snapshot image that I took on my porch with the 6D2 using the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 Lens, shot at f/1.8.

I messed around with this photo for a little while in Lightroom and was just about to delete it because Lightroom hit it's limits with it and I just couldn't tweek it to my liking......it really wasn't anything special and was just another rather boring shot.

At the last moment before deleting it I instead exported it to ON1 and started playing with it in Effects, applied some filters to it, did a little selected editing, and in perhaps 5 minutes or so I turned this rather boring photo in to a somewhat work of art in my opinion.

I'm sure I could of did something like this in Photoshop but honestly, I don't know how to use Photoshop all that well......Instead I did this rather quickly and easily in ON1.

It still may be a boring photo for many but for me in 5 minutes using ON1 I turned something I was about to toss in to the garbage in to a keeper I find rather unique.

Attachments

• Old Porch Rocker_smcopy (1).jpg
    Old Porch Rocker_smcopy (1).jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Durf said:
At the last moment before deleting it I instead exported it to ON1 and started playing with it in Effects, applied some filters to it, did a little selected editing, and in perhaps 5 minutes or so I turned this rather boring photo in to a somewhat work of art in my opinion.

I really like it. The composition and juxtaposition are great. For my tastes, the effects might be a bit overdone, if you can get those same textures a little more subtly. The choice of black and white is great. I might have even liked the regular picture in a contrasty black and white with little or no use of effects. It's probably a case of a picture that works well in several different incarnations. And you had fun and maybe even learned something in the process. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
Durf said:

I really like it. The composition and juxtaposition are great. For my tastes, the effects might be a bit overdone, if you can get those same textures a little more subtly. The choice of black and white is great. I might have even liked the regular picture in a contrasty black and white with little or no use of effects. It's probably a case of a picture that works well in several different incarnations. And you had fun and maybe even learned something in the process. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I think I was going for the charcoal drawing look....

I did tone it down some and my interest went away with the image and I went back to cookin!.

I do kind of over bake certain photos I process, reckon it's a bit of my style with certain images. I've got a couple flower images I over-cooked and they look just like oil paintings (Van Gogh type).

Then there's some images I do very little or nothing too....

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
When you move away from what nature delivers naturally the likes and dislikes are all over the map. It reminds me of the general consensus, as kids, that "long haired" music was garbage. Now, to a large extent it's the reverse, which is partly a taste shift but also relates to being much more educated in music. As Ricki said, "you can't please everyone so you've gotta please yourself". Still, it's fun to hear all opinions.

One thing for sure ON1 RAW is headed in the right direction and gaining traction.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
ON1 Photo RAW 2018 is having a major update coming in a few weeks or so (Late June).

"We are incredibly excited to announce the new ON1 Photo RAW 2018.5 is coming in late June. Version 2018.5 will be a significant update and includes a massive boost in overall performance, fixes for user reported issues and new key features such as LUTs, camera profiles, and more."

Note: Version 2018.5 will be a free update for owners of ON1 Photo RAW 2018.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Durf said:
This is just a simple snapshot image that I took on my porch with the 6D2 using the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 Lens, shot at f/1.8.

I messed around with this photo for a little while in Lightroom and was just about to delete it because Lightroom hit it's limits with it and I just couldn't tweek it to my liking......it really wasn't anything special and was just another rather boring shot.

I'm sure I could of did something like this in Photoshop but honestly, I don't know how to use Photoshop all that well......Instead I did this rather quickly and easily in ON1.

It still may be a boring photo for many but for me in 5 minutes using ON1 I turned something I was about to toss in to the garbage in to a keeper I find rather unique.

Great pic!
Good thing you didn't delete!

Scott

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Just a quick update here.
To answer the last post...I agree with you the content aware of On1 isn't super strong, HOWEVER, I consider On1 RAW to be the equivalent of LR and I don't find LR's content aware to be much better.

For heavy lifting stuff like that, I tend to the in the Adobe world you do use PS, but for me, I've been using Affinity Photo, and I think it's content aware and smart erase, etc...is on par and in some cases superior to PS.

As for On1 RAW.....I've been using it a lot. I like a lot of things, but it seems to be a bit SLOOOOW. One of the last updates made it so slow on my mac, I couldn't hardly use it.

I contacted their customer support and was surprised they were so quick and responsive!!

They said they had seen problems with older macs, and they sent me a dropbox link to a working internal copy of On1...I installed it as an update and it significantly helped speed.

A later office update came out very soon after and it seems to have improved a bit more.

It is still a little slower than I'd like, but then again, LR5 would tend to get bogged down at times too, and I've heard LR6 had some problems there too, but I've not had first hand experience with that.

Anyway, On1 RAW is back to workable for me and I REALLY love the filters and the masking on it in the RAW workflow are helping me get some great images out.

So far, I'm sticking with them.....

More later as I use it even more.

HTH,

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
yeah bought ON1 (sale on for a few more days?).. Seems powerful so far, I can do most things I could do on LR with it, but there is a lot more I need to sit down and learn. I can see what you mean about slow, sometimes seems to chug... but there is a new patch (newer than 2018.5), going to see if it improves.

though to be clear, it seems like it was a worthwhile purchase, especially on sale. Being able to do most LR stuff is good... its hehe having to learn beyond it that is causing me headaches

- edit - speed seems fine now. Slowly figuring out its capabilities. I already can do most of my LR functions + some Photoshop ones. Had some puzzling episodes with noise levels when using camera profiles, but it seemed to reduce.. not sure if I changed techniques or it required a catchup processing. Seems to do a fast process and then a slower refinement. Might be a slow drive. History.. seems to lack it and it makes duplicating things a bit harder. Puzzling. Otherwise seems like a very capable product. Some of the masking techniques built in are intriguing for refined local adjustments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
yeah bought ON1 (sale on for a few more days?).. Seems powerful so far, I can do most things I could do on LR with it, but there is a lot more I need to sit down and learn. I can see what you mean about slow, sometimes seems to chug... but there is a new patch (newer than 2018.5), going to see if it improves.

though to be clear, it seems like it was a worthwhile purchase, especially on sale. Being able to do most LR stuff is good... its hehe having to learn beyond it that is causing me headaches

- edit - speed seems fine now. Slowly figuring out its capabilities. I already can do most of my LR functions + some Photoshop ones. Had some puzzling episodes with noise levels when using camera profiles, but it seemed to reduce.. not sure if I changed techniques or it required a catchup processing. Seems to do a fast process and then a slower refinement. Might be a slow drive. History.. seems to lack it and it makes duplicating things a bit harder. Puzzling. Otherwise seems like a very capable product. Some of the masking techniques built in are intriguing for refined local adjustments.

Yeah, I'm REALLY getting into doing the luminosity filtering for adjustments!! I'm working on some concert shots, some outdoors and some areas got a bit blown out and it nice to be able to target adjustments JUST for those areas....set the luminosity mask and then use the controls to really tune it to just the areas you like.

I"ve been adapting my LR catalog methods of filesystem naming, etc...to the ON1 RAW methods, for import, working directories, etc.

Its a bit of a learning curve, but isn't rocket surgery......and hey, it's always fun to learn new things and new skills, eh?

No application is perfect, but I do enjoy On1 so far, I like that their customer support is responsive and helpful.

Right now, my main complaint is, they don't have a lens profile for my Canon 11-24 L lens....but they gave me info to link to a site where I can submit shots from it, and they will use that to create the lens profile and include it in an update.

I'm planning i the near future to go take those calibration shots and submit them.

cayenne

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm REALLY getting into doing the luminosity filtering for adjustments!! I'm working on some concert shots, some outdoors and some areas got a bit blown out and it nice to be able to target adjustments JUST for those areas....set the luminosity mask and then use the controls to really tune it to just the areas you like.

I"ve been adapting my LR catalog methods of filesystem naming, etc...to the ON1 RAW methods, for import, working directories, etc.

Its a bit of a learning curve, but isn't rocket surgery......and hey, it's always fun to learn new things and new skills, eh?

No application is perfect, but I do enjoy On1 so far, I like that their customer support is responsive and helpful.

Right now, my main complaint is, they don't have a lens profile for my Canon 11-24 L lens....but they gave me info to link to a site where I can submit shots from it, and they will use that to create the lens profile and include it in an update.

I'm planning i the near future to go take those calibration shots and submit them.

cayenne

That's all I use for my go to and as a stand alone now is ON1, its quite fun and relaxing to use for sure. (when it's working correctly). These last couple of updated versions really were quite chaotic and frustrating for me but support got my copy of Photo RAW back running decently so I can get back to editing.

I did end up buying Affinity and will slowly learn it and use it as a back up if needed. (and for things ON1 can't do).

Anyways, I've used several raw editors and I totally like ON1 the best.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
not sure if it was the last patch, but got some weird glitches where cropping it kept zooming in and not cropping. Tried closing out and opening again and it did it for a bit longer and then stopped. Some changes seem to generate a fair bit of noise, which for some reason noise reduction seems weak on. LR seems to handle it fine, so it's puzzling. Otherwise it's definitely a viable alternative for subscription model. Not ready to ditch LR 6 yet, but 90% of way there.

Upvote 0