Rumors flying in on the Nikon FF mirrorless

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Two bigger scoops just surfaced at NR.

First, a firm one -- more trademarking:

NIKONOS = Nikon Operating System... or actually the platform's brand name?​

Second, just a rumor but a detailed one:

A platform built-around high end primes?! The f/0.95 prime we've been hearing about is real?! That is the opposite of small if true.​

- A

Apr 23, 2018
the 0.95 lenses are just a psyhological band aid for Nikon/ians for not having f/1.2 or faster lenses for such a long time. not important to 99.9% of digital imaging gear users. simply bragging rights. marketing cr*p.

first paragraph: "will focus on high end primes" ...

next bullet point: expecting 50/1.8 plus 24 or 28 or 35 f/1.8 prime and 24-70 f/4 zoom as starting lineup ...

i call those "moderate aperture" lenses. all of these could be made in very compact size as well. although Nikon seems to go for "chunky" with z6 and z7, sort of "poor man's Leica SL system". it will be priced too high for what it is. and next stop maybe a nice 299 fire sale. :p:D

overall quite funny. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
those 1.8 primes make perfect sense; good IQ and still light to carry in the field.

I'm not sure chunky is the best way to describe them; I have a feeling the ergonomics of these camera's will be superior vs every other mirrorless camera we've ever seen. Not sure if these 0.95 lenses will go very well; they will be expensive for sure and for the majority of photographers not the most used ones. For portraits with a certain look yes, I could see them being interesting.

If Nikon does something, they usually do it right. Remember the D850, which maybe the perfect dslr?

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
those 1.8 primes make perfect sense; good IQ and still light to carry in the field.
If Nikon does something, they usually do it right. Remember the D850, which maybe the perfect dslr?

I am all in favor of compact, light, decent IQ, "moderately fast", affordable primes for FF mirrorfree system. :)

Nikon D850 - yes. But remember the excellent teasers followed by sub-par Nikon Df? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
If image on Nikon Rumors is legitimate, I am surprised there are not 2 separate buttons for AF-ON Button [BBF] and AE-Lock!? Is this just part of the marketing-nerfing differentiation for lower-end model (Z6) or on both Z6 and Z7?

Quite different UI setup compared to Nikon DSLRs. And why "Play" and "Delete" Buttons on right side, but "Drive speed" on left side? Looks to be optimized for "Shoot / Chimp / F-word / Delete" :p :D

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/13/...-58mm-f-0-95-lens-to-be-announced-later.aspx/

Nikon-mirrorless-camera-back-view-by-cass-768x563.jpg

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Two bigger scoops just surfaced at NR.

First, a firm one -- more trademarking:

NIKONOS = Nikon Operating System... or actually the platform's brand name?​

Second, just a rumor but a detailed one:

A platform built-around high end primes?! The f/0.95 prime we've been hearing about is real?! That is the opposite of small if true.​

- A

?

The Nikonos name has been used by Nikon since the early '60s for their Nikonos under water camera.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
?
The Nikonos name has been used by Nikon since the early '60s for their Nikonos under water camera.

yes, but they abandoned the system in 2001. Trademark apparently expired back in 2008. So now Nikon apparently has re-registered the trademark. And who knows, they might bring future mirrorfree new Nikonos underwater cameras.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
yes, but they abandoned the system in 2001. Trademark apparently expired back in 2008. So now Nikon apparently has re-registered the trademark. And who knows, they might bring future mirrorfree new Nikonos underwater cameras.

I thought the Nikonos always was mirrorless ;-)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
The control layout of this looks quite workable .. except the PLAY and AE/F-lock+AF/MF control choice is a bit off IMO>
Swapping the function of those 2 buttons would suffice to improve operability. AF/MF lever could would be OK in same location with the PLAY button.
Joystick would be good if 9-way function so straight press returns to center or preset AF point.
D-pad lockout (?) looks good. Other control locations are probably OK.
Looking forward to how it feels in my hand and the lightness in my step after my wallet is relieved of its burden.

If image on Nikon Rumors is legitimate, I am surprised there are not 2 separate buttons for AF-ON Button [BBF] and AE-Lock!? Is this just part of the marketing-nerfing differentiation for lower-end model (Z6) or on both Z6 and Z7?

Quite different UI setup compared to Nikon DSLRs. And why "Play" and "Delete" Buttons on right side, but "Drive speed" on left side? Looks to be optimized for "Shoot / Chimp / F-word / Delete" :p:D

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/13/...-58mm-f-0-95-lens-to-be-announced-later.aspx/

Nikon-mirrorless-camera-back-view-by-cass-768x563.jpg

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
good! I just saw that this image might be of a mock-up only, not out of Nikon teaser.

I believe these are mockups -- see the comments below (not this NR story but other recent NR stories) and it's clear NR readers are posting mockups in the comments that in some cases appear to get picked up by the editors and put right into the main story. In fairness, they seem to do this as 'supporting flavor' for a new rumor and generally h/t the person in the comments section who offered it.

So I treat the shots shown in many cases as simply the work of overzealous fans, which is fine by me.

- A

Upvote 0