Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

zim said:
Ladislav said:
What AF settings do you use for Air Shows?

I usually have my 3 C options in manual with shutter speeds set for fat jet, turbo prop and piston engines. ETTR, 2/3 usually. Then Tv and Av for general walkabout stuff. That dial gets spun quite a lot ;D

May I ask what are those 3 custom settings? Do you change the setting when planes are flying along and when planes are flying towards you? I noticed that my settings for panning and blurring propellers usually completely mess up anything where plane is coming towards me.

When I asked about AF I meant more if you use any settings for AF tracking sensitivity, acceleration tracking and 1st and 2nd image priority.

Upvote 0
Roo said:
Hands up who's going to be at the RAF 100 flypast on July 10...

Looks to be something not to be missed. Hopefully we'll see some pics here :D

I was there and I have mixed feelings.

The location: I knew it will be bad because all actions in London are always terribly overcrowded. I went there anyway hoping to make some particular photos I imagined - I couldn't do them anywhere else. I may have done one. I couldn't change position to try other. Also since planes were flying in large formations, they were usually not all visible over trees until too late for photo I wanted to take.

My wife had better view on few returning formations flying over our garden in Hertfordshire. My colleagues saw everything from office in Shoreditch.

The flypast: It was impressive. Really a lot of planes in large formations.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ladislav.
I really hope you got something for your effort. I’m guessing the best place to see this will be on tv. :'(
I was surprised and rather disappointed to hear it being ‘sold’ as the largest formation in living memory! 100 planes is not a large formation in comparison to the 1000+ bomber raids my mum saw going over her home heading for Europe! Yes she is still alive! As I’m sure are many others who remember this unfortunate part of history.

Cheers, Graham.

Ladislav said:
Roo said:

The location: I knew it will be bad because all actions in London are always terribly overcrowded. I went there anyway hoping to make some particular photos I imagined - I couldn't do them anywhere else. I may have done one. I couldn't change position to try other. Also since planes were flying in large formations, they were usually not all visible over trees until too late for photo I wanted to take.

My wife had better view on few returning formations flying over our garden in Hertfordshire. My colleagues saw everything from office in Shoreditch.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Valvebounce said:
Hi Ladislav.
I really hope you got something for your effort. I’m guessing the best place to see this will be on tv. :'(
I was surprised and rather disappointed to hear it being ‘sold’ as the largest formation in living memory! 100 planes is not a large formation in comparison to the 1000+ bomber raids my mum saw going over her home heading for Europe! Yes she is still alive! As I’m sure are many others who remember this unfortunate part of history.

Cheers, Graham.

Ladislav said:
Roo said:

This is so true. I remember my dad telling me about the 1000 bomber raids and how the sky darkened.
So good to know there are people that can relate such an experience first hand

Best regards to your mum!

Upvote 0
Some fun shots from the Nellis AFB show last year.

I don't have any cool Mach Loop shots, but I did have a coworker take a shot of me about to make out with a 212 during a previous life ... :-[

Attachments

• Airshow-154.jpg
    Airshow-154.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Airshow-17.jpg
    Airshow-17.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Airshow-201.jpg
    Airshow-201.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0082-2.jpg
    DSC_0082-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Nice captures SloPhoto! It shows just how big the Corsair is when it still looks bigger than the Spitfire even though it's furthest from the camera.

Too bad about the flyover Ladsilav - bad for photography but still good to experience though. As for the tracking sensitivity etc - again I don't worry about that so much as I'm using single point but I do have the shutter release set to focus priority for both first and subsequent shots.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Cool shot, Stephan.
0057.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi all, the spammer is back :-D
What about a Fieseler Fi 156 Storch restored to flying condition with authentic German WWII markings?
Im trying to figure out what the sign 'sacklandung verboten' on the dasboard implies, it is difficult to find any aircraft which beats Storch regarding STOL capabilities but maybe there are some limitations also for this aircraft.
Flygfesten, Dala-Järna, Sweden

F36A4198_DxO_2880.jpgF36A7094_DxO_2880.jpgF36A7074_DxO_2880.jpgF36A7119_DxO_2880.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0