Experiences with ON1 Photo RAW 2018?

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I see why noise levels were high. Detail slider is opposite of what I expected. The more you slide it to right, the more smoothing it does, think it's opposite to LR.
Anyways I was able to do a pretty fine job on this Airbus A380 :) .. this is 100% on On1, including exporting with watermark etc.View attachment 179723

Wow....nice looking shot!!!

C

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
ok.. so for some reason I get way more noise produced with On1 when bringing up shadows or reducing light levels or even applying the camera profile vs the default than I do with LR. using a canon 80d. Its my biggest drawback and maybe it's just how I do this. I was able to work some of the noise levels down, but still not as good as with LR.. any suggestions by those now familiar with the product?

Upvote 0
ok.. so for some reason I get way more noise produced with On1 when bringing up shadows or reducing light levels or even applying the camera profile vs the default than I do with LR. using a canon 80d. Its my biggest drawback and maybe it's just how I do this. I was able to work some of the noise levels down, but still not as good as with LR.. any suggestions by those now familiar with the product?

I shot that old car with the 80D using a 70-300L lens at ISO 100 @ 70mm. (exposed slightly to the right)

I very seldom run in to noise issues with the 80D but I'm almost always shooting at low ISO's and very seldom underexposing. If I'm dealing with a lot of contrast/dark shadows I'll usually use my histogram and expose to the right. I've never noticed ON1 introducing more noise than LR, I use both software programs. (I totally like ON1 better)

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I shot that old car with the 80D using a 70-300L lens at ISO 100 @ 70mm. (exposed slightly to the right)

I very seldom run in to noise issues with the 80D but I'm almost always shooting at low ISO's and very seldom underexposing. If I'm dealing with a lot of contrast/dark shadows I'll usually use my histogram and expose to the right. I've never noticed ON1 introducing more noise than LR, I use both software programs. (I totally like ON1 better)

do you use the camera profiles or the on1 ones? I rarely shoot at iso 100, often in low light, high movement situations

Upvote 0
do you use the camera profiles or the on1 ones? I rarely shoot at iso 100, often in low light, high movement situations

I mostly just use the ON1 default profile. I do shoot at higher ISO when necessary and still very seldom have to deal with a lot of noise unless I get way up there like 1600 or higher (with 80D)

ADDED: I've noticed with shooting the 80D for over 2 years now that going above ISO 1600 is asking for noise in most types of images. My 6D2 is way better at higher ISO's than my 80D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I'm updated to ON1 RAW latest 2018 but still haven't had much time to use it. However, I have followed the updates that are based on user suggestions and they sure have been listening and pumping out improvements. I guess the question is, how competent their designers are.

It's interesting to see the suggestions and what is being looked at and implemented.

https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/ideas/

My feeling is, they're going to succeed.

Still, if every year is a new version that you have to pay for how does that differ from a subscription? ;)

Jack
You don't have to buy a new version every year. Once you buy, you own.
I'll upload some pics processed with OnOne

Attachments

• Prismatic 3.jpg
    Prismatic 3.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You don't have to buy a new version every year. Once you buy, you own.
I'll upload some pics processed with OnOne

For me it's always, "next winter I'll really spend time and learn ON1" and somehow I'm just too busy. The problem is my wildlife needs for processing are generally met very well with Canon DPP, especially since they added the feature that allows me to raise the exposure of an animal's eye typically 10 or 15%. Mind you, I'm probably an atypical CR person, given I don't do much landscape and have headache issues - taking pictures in the outdoors seems to reduce my headaches while processing them indoors seems to increase them.:(;) Scott, nothing beats wildlife photography in the great outdoors especially in regions such as your lovely photo.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For me it's always, "next winter I'll really spend time and learn ON1" and somehow I'm just too busy. The problem is my wildlife needs for processing are generally met very well with Canon DPP, especially since they added the feature that allows me to raise the exposure of an animal's eye typically 10 or 15%. Mind you, I'm probably an atypical CR person, given I don't do much landscape and have headache issues - taking pictures in the outdoors seems to reduce my headaches while processing them indoors seems to increase them.:(;) Scott, nothing beats wildlife photography in the great outdoors especially in regions such as your lovely photo.

If you are only using DPP you'd be in heaven with ON1. You could now just start using it and doing what you're doing in DPP and slowly start doing a little more and more to your images as you start getting use to ON1's tools. You will quickly learn how limited DPP is.....
ON1 is not really all that hard to learn. It took me a couple months of playing with it before I really started getting comfortable with it and diving in to all of it's tools. It's rather quite an amazing editor/processor.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If you are only using DPP you'd be in heaven with ON1. You could now just start using it and doing what you're doing in DPP and slowly start doing a little more and more to your images as you start getting use to ON1's tools. You will quickly learn how limited DPP is.....
ON1 is not really all that hard to learn. It took me a couple months of playing with it before I really started getting comfortable with it and diving in to all of it's tools. It's rather quite an amazing editor/processor.

I guess I qualify as a procrastinator! I know you're right.;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I like that they're coming out regularly and quickly with updates/patches as needed.

Me too; this previous version/build caused me some major headaches for the last few weeks. I still can't use the cataloged folders feature even with this last build (2018.3.5757). But, everything else is working much better! I'm back to editing with less cussing!!!!!! LOL

I like ON1 so much I do NOT want to use anything else!

(I did buy Affinity though recently and am learning that) for backup just in case.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I downloaded the new version and just now took a few minutes to look at some RAW photos I took of a bird in January. The first thing that hit me was that the ON1 screen appeared darker and more saturated than what I'm used to. My reference of course is DPP, so I opened it up and displayed the same photos on my second monitor. Both monitors are calibrated and appear identical to my eyes so here I am with ON1 darker and DPP displaying a brighter/nicer rendition. I'd say more accurate based on the fact that the JPEGS I've produced using DPP have always appeared match what I was seeing RAW.

Is there something I've done or something that needs to be adjusted in ON1. Comments/help, please.

Edit: Dumb me, as soon as I went to show my wife it hit me that the DPP RAW had the shadows lifted!:oops: I did the same in ON1 and all is fine.

Jack

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Something I've requested in ON1 is that the sliders, once you click on them, should respond to the mouse wheel rather than simply being forced to slide them, which I find produces muscle tension after working on the computer a long time. I thought this was something they stated they were going to implement. Guess not, for now anyway.

Jack

Upvote 0
Something I've requested in ON1 is that the sliders, once you click on them, should respond to the mouse wheel rather than simply being forced to slide them, which I find produces muscle tension after working on the computer a long time. I thought this was something they stated they were going to implement. Guess not, for now anyway.

Jack

After I used ON1 for a little while and got used to it I got pretty fast with everything, I can pretty much edit a "regular" shot in just a few minutes using the basic panel and some filters; and even masking/brushing a little bit here and there. If I get into some deeper stuff using layers and several filters, making areas etc., I can still do a pretty deeply processed image in less than 10 minutes.

Once in a while I have an image I have to do a lot of work too but I rarely ever spend more than 30 minutes on a major edit.

Once you get the hang of ON1 you can zip through editing.

Upvote 0
Used to use LR5. I’ve been using ON1 Photo RAW for several months. I use it pretty much daily. I like it a lot. I haven’t felt a need to use Lightroom for months. I tend to use DxO PhotoLab for RAW processing of my Canon files. I will then sometimes finish things off in ON1. I also use a Fuji camera and I do most of my post-processing with those files in ON1 (DxO doesn’t support Fuji cameras). The only issue I have with ON1 is it tends to be very slow, sometimes glacially slow. I think that’s my issue, though. I should upgrade my RAM. The base requirement is 4 GB, 8GB if used as a Photoshop plug-in, but 16 GB is recommended. There is a manual on the ON1 website (look in the support menu) as well as the YouTube video series. The best thing to do is download the trial and see if it meets your needs.

Upvote 0