This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

Apr 23, 2018
Re: the three lenses coming... yay, I guess? Folks should be excited about that EF-M prime, ...

Not "excited" at all. Only interested to see how big and expensive the EF-M 32/1.4 is.

I avoid sinking more money into crop-only lenses. Even more so, when finally an additional mirrorfree FF system comes to market. In my view it makes immeasurably more sense to buy/use a good, compact and inexpensive FF-capable 50/1.8 rather than buying crop-only f/1.4 lenses. Same reason why I have zero interest in Fuji crop system with expensive crop glass.

P.S: That said, I would still consider purchase of a compact, decent, affordable EF-M 85mm f/2.4 IS STM since there is no alternative to get that FOV plus IS and aperture *in a compact way* for EOS M-system. It would have to come with IS and STM AF and be much smaller and better IQ [less bokeh fringing] than EF 85/1.8 with EF-M adapter.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Not "excited" at all. Only interested to see how big and expensive the EF-M 32/1.4 is.

My guess = as big as the 35 f/2 IS and about $499 - 599. They won't shoot for the moon price-wise. Why?

1) They haven't asked for a $799+ EF-S lens in ages. I think they've abandoned the notion that folks will pump big dollars into crop-only glass -- at higher prices, FF compatibility becomes a buying consideration and folks prefer EF compatiblity.
2) It's STM.
3) Canon sells a simple double gauss 50 prime with f/1.4 for $329 today. It can be done.

- A

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
My guess = as big as the 35 f/2 IS and about $499 - 599. They won't shoot for the moon price-wise. Why?

1) They haven't asked for a $799+ EF-S lens in ages. I think they've abandoned the notion that folks will pump big dollars into crop-only glass -- at higher prices, FF compatibility becomes a buying consideration and folks prefer EF compatiblity.
2) It's STM.
3) Canon sells a simple double gauss 50 prime with f/1.4 for $329 today. It can be done.

- A

That Sigma 30/1.4 without IS and crop-only currently is listed from € 439. Yikes. Don't think SIgma sells a lot of those. LOL.

I'll never buy yet another 50mm FOV equivalent crop lens for anything ,ike 599. Not even with IS.
I'd be willing to consider an EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM at 399 or less. :)

And gazillions of other potential customers may see it the same way. :p

Upvote 0
I think it will be about as big as Sigma's 30 f/1.4 for crop, or about as big as Canon's 35 f/2 IS:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...Images.aspx?Lens=824&LensComp2=0&LensComp=838

As the 24/28/35 IS lenses showed, IS adds a little weight but doesn't require a large lens to pull off. (But that said, the rumor says this new EF-M 32 f/1.4 will be without IS.)

- A

Unfortunately, the Sigma isn't in thedatabase but, the 35/2 is.

BTW: is 32mm a FL that benefits from a short flange distance?

B.

Attachments

• 39E2AB6C-8D8D-4A87-9780-41F6671CFC9E.jpeg
    39E2AB6C-8D8D-4A87-9780-41F6671CFC9E.jpeg
    759 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018

Yes. It should. Would they make it a 32/1.8 it could likely be almost as tiny and inexpensive as the 22/2. But, oh no, it's gotta be f/1.4 because a few forum denizens and reviewers have incessantly flagellated Canon EF-M lens lineup for "not having any fast primes". lol. :)

Upvote 0
No new camera this year and Canon will be pretty much screwed this festival/xmas season.
With Sony probably lowering their prices by at least 200 bucks and people probably already preordering the new Nikon next month - Good luck...
I don't know if it's so smart waiting till next year if the mirrorless war is already on and so many pros already switched to Sony cause Canon keeps the rumor machine going since at least 2 years but still has no competeting product against Sony A7II/A7III, also cause the 6D2 was a massive letdown.

Personally, I'm a big Canon fan. But if they don't WANT to make money it's their fault. I'm really tempted to jump on the Sony wagon.

Have you seen Canon prices recently? 5d4 bodies on eBay brand new were going for $2150 a few days ago gray market (they're up slightly now, but that just means it's heading down again soon), that's a7iii territory! 6d2 bodies going for close to $1,000. EF 24-70 f/2.8 II and 70-200 f/2.8 II going for less than $1,500. Prices fluctuate, gray market, but still, these are brand new. The IQ-to-value proposition heavily favors Canon over Sony.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
What I don't understand is... why be so unbelievably secretive about FF Mirrorless... given their position vs sony and nikon, wouldn't a "leak" or development announcement be a good thing? I mean, if people knew the camera was coming, surely they would be less likely to jump ship?

Personally, I need something with much better video capabilities than my 6DII and I just like what mirrorless cameras have to offer. I consider switching to sony every day because as far as I can tell... we could very well be nowhere near a FF mirrorless from canon.

I've never understood why people compare two cameras that are primarily still cameras with video capability if they're only concerned about video.

Whether Canon or Sony, for shooting video: Get a video camera!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Have you seen Canon prices recently? 5d4 bodies on eBay brand new were going for $2150 a few days ago gray market (they're up slightly now, but that just means it's heading down again soon), that's a7iii territory!

Since when has ebay been any mark of product value? 5DIV prices have hardly shifted here in UK for 2 years which suggests ebay, even at those prices, is no threat at all so they do not need to drop prices.

The IQ-to-value proposition heavily favors Canon over Sony.
And it has done for what, 7 years? And Sony has still hardly made a dent in its market position globally. Considering the number of times this has been mentioned I find it astounding that people able to work a compute cannot understand one thing: statements like yours prove that the spec sheet is not the main buying driver for most people. Sure, some will be turned but they are clearly in the minority.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I've chosen to stay a Canon shooter but I need another body NOW. Choices are: (1) buy a 5D-IV which is great but long-in-the-tooth; or (2) wait for FF ML or new 5DS-II or Leica compact FF ... :confused:

If it's just a stopgap measure, get a 6D Mark II. It's much cheaper and it's newer. You'll probably recover a higher percentage of what you paid if you sell it when the camera you're waiting on comes along because the 6D Mark III isn't expected until about 2022. Plus it's usually easier to sell lower priced cameras used than higher priced ones, as there is less perceived "risk" by the buyer.

All forum bashing aside, mostly by those who have never even seen one in person, those who shoot with them like them.

The AF is an entirely higher level than the 6D you're currently using, the image quality is as good as the 6D (within the margin of what Uncle Roger likes to say, "It's measurable in a lab, but you'll probably never notice it.").

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was thinking more that they 1.) don't have a competitive FF mirrorless (sony), and 2.) they aren't even teasing or hyping one up (nikon).

Overall sales figures aside, I'm not sure ignoring a market segment is a good idea (if that turns out to be what they're doing).
I don't think they're ignoring it, they just want to be the last ones to the table. They did that with the EOS M, and five years later the M line became the best selling MILC line globally (granted, it helps that Canon has only one line).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Unfortunately, the Sigma isn't in thedatabase but, the 35/2 is.

B.

Yes. It won't remotely be as big as the adapted 35 f/2 you showed. I'd imagine it would look about as big on the EOS M as that 35 f/2 lens without the adaptor. But it won't be a pancake. It'll be a stout little nugget, but surely smaller than the EF (or adaptor) mounted size of that lens.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, I mean only roughly half of all ILCs sold worldwide are sold in the U.S., right?
Apparently you pull your "facts" from the same nether orifice AvTvM gets his...or maybe you get yours more locally and someplace cleaner, say...from a box of Cracker Jacks. Regardless, according to CIPA for the 6-month period we're talking about, 18% of ILCs went to the Americas (which comprise more than just the US, last time I checked).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Apparently you pull your "facts" from the same nether orifice AvTvM gets his...or maybe you get yours more locally and someplace cleaner, say...from a box of Cracker Jacks. Regardless, according to CIPA for the 6-month period we're talking about, 18% of ILCs went to the Americas (which comprise more than just the US, last time I checked).
That’s right! Some of them go to Canada where we take pictures of maple syrup and beavers in the snow

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018

reported for totally unnecessary personal attacks.

geographic distribution for FF ILCs would be interesting, but not available from CIPA.

For Europe I would also not be too sure about Canon's lead over Sony for FF ILCs in 2018. I assume Sony is still behind, otherwise they would for sure have bragged about it. But by how much (units and value) would be really interesting.

And whether or not Canon being "last to the FF mirrorfree party" is ontentional or not, is also highly questionable. Even then, they would be well served by giving clear abd official information to their customer base, which direction and timeframe they are heading re. mirrorfree FF system if they want to stop the increasing bleeding and perception that they are just laggards, rather than self-proclaimed "leaders".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0