The Zhiyun Crane 2 motorized gimbal capabilitywith Canon cameras

Can’t speak to the M but in my personal experience the Crane 2’s electronic interface is more trouble than it’s worth. I don’t use follow focus so the only thing that I would use it for is the shutter button and a Canon remote release is going to be a much more reliable control. My advise is just forget about the electronics and use a remote release. I’ve had much better results since I switched.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Graphic.Artifacts said:
Can’t speak to the M but in my personal experience the Crane 2’s electronic interface is more trouble than it’s worth. I don’t use follow focus so the only thing that I would use it for is the shutter button and a Canon remote release is going to be a much more reliable control. My advise is just forget about the electronics and use a remote release. I’ve had much better results since I switched.

I don't plug the cord in anymore either. I used to always hit the follow focus wheel and it would mess with the DPAF focus and over-ride it. I do miss being able to hit the record button on the handle, but thats ok.

Upvote 0
Yes. Be nice if it worked properly but I just gaffer taped a cheap remote release under where my right thumb usually rests so overall not a big deal. Agree about accidentally hitting follow focus. I probably would have taped that down as well at some point. All that being said, I’m usually very happy with the quality of the gimbal operation. Not a big deal IMO.

I’ve recently been using the attachable two handed cross-grip and that’s a nice thing as well. You can create footage with some different looks and it cuts down on some of the arm fatigue that comes with using a heavy camera and lens set up. Still tough on the lower back.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Scott, your gimbal still hasn't arrived?

BTW, maybe my issues are about to arrive but I have to say so far my 1DX2 being tethered hasn't been a problem. About the weight and fatigue, I rely on my belt to take the weight off my arm by letting the feet sink down into my shirt. Of course this isn't ideal if you're walking and shooting.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Scott, your gimbal still hasn't arrived?

BTW, maybe my issues are about to arrive but I have to say so far my 1DX2 being tethered hasn't been a problem. About the weight and fatigue, I rely on my belt to take the weight off my arm by letting the feet sink down into my shirt. Of course this isn't ideal if you're walking and shooting.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Yes I have the Ronin S. Not much to report really, it will balance with the 1DX MkII and 11-24 but it has restricted movement. Currently there is no Canon shutter release for the 1DX MkII so my hopes of moving time lapses will need a work around. It works very well with the 35 f2 IS and 1DX MkII with no movement restrictions.

I wouldn't sell one to get the other unless there was an overwhelming feature a particular person needed, basic performance is just too close and they both have frustrating restrictions at this point.

Unrestricted view of the screen is very nice and means you can lightly touch the screen to 'pull focus' with the 1DX MkII, so far that and the ergonomics, the grip is very nice, are the only real advantages of the Ronin over the Zhiyun though I wouldn't consider me a power user of gimbals yet...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Scott. My only possible reason for jumping would be the remote operation with greater range. I've decided that given my remote shooting would be best served by a longer lens, the gimbal wouldn't be useful anyway. I'm looking at designing a non-stabilized unit with steppers to drive H and V movements for use with my treepod and the 400 DO II. Quite different from most people's needs.

I'd be interested to hear if you can utilize the CamRanger with your gimbal.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack here is the best comparison of the Ronin-S and Zhiyun Crane 2 I have seen and I'd mirror everything he says were I as competent at video as he is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOj6G29OTCo

I'll let you know about the CamRanger as soon as I can, would the panning base for the CamRanger not give you what you are after for the 400?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
privatebydesign said:
Jack here is the best comparison of the Ronin-S and Zhiyun Crane 2 I have seen and I'd mirror everything he says were I as competent at video as he is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOj6G29OTCo

I'll let you know about the CamRanger as soon as I can, would the panning base for the CamRanger not give you what you are after for the 400?

Thanks for that link; the review was well done. I'll be satisfied with what I've got for the little difference there is.

Yes I'm hoping to be able to incorporate the CamRanger. When I used it, it was very slow transmitting the photos - is there a trick like only sending very low rez versions back but shooting full RAW? I've been so busy I haven't played with my toys very much. :(

The gimbal will be in full work mode starting August 23 heading to Bella Coola. I'm hoping I can do some shooting out the window traveling "the Hill".

https://globalnews.ca/news/2696374/the-hill-the-story-behind-one-of-bcs-most-treacherous-roads-and-the-locals-who-built-it/

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
For what it's worth, I made my usual, " this shouldn't be too hard" mistake in tackling another project. My goal was to have a case that would hold my gimbal with the balance settings I plan to use for a particular lens on the 1DX2. That way I could be shooting grizzlies and fairly quickly switch to video, like when I would be on the "float" down the Atnarko river (http://www.bcmountainlodge.com/site/wilderness_tours/grizzly_bear_tours.html). As it is it should accommodate the settings of my 24-70 F4 and the 11-24 as well as the 70-200 2.8. You'll note the extensive empty space that accommodates the different arm adjustments.

I just might send a photo to Zhiyun to see if they wouldn't consider modifying their production case since mine is less than ideal but now it's close to completion so it wouldn't help me much unless they'd take pity and supply me with a new case. I used 20 gauge aluminum and did the tedious bending without a break of any kind, by being creative. I used a 4 flute end-mill in my drill press to route the roughly 2 3/4" roofing Styrofoam that's hidden under the speaker grill cloth (chosen because it's more stretchy but it's not nearly stretchy enough as you can see). Never the less it's not a disaster, it just looks home made (and glue bled through) - sigh. Over all I'm satisfied and am now completing a lid (it's not too heavy). I have scraps of leather so I will sew up a sheath to cover the box and similar for the lid; add a strap and some kind of velcro closure for the lid and that's a bout it. All of this was strictly surplus in my possession so just the cost of my time, like 3 or 4 days - too long!

Jackgimbal box_36675.JPGgimbal box_36678.JPG

Upvote 0