Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
WOW! Pile of beutifull photos in the time I was hiding from the next tropical storm! No way to get a personal credit to every one - it would take to much space on the forum!
I would like to notice two things: Wiebe is right in his identification of the Grey Heron (immature). BTW I wish I was wrong: the Great Blue is much more rare (just vagrant!) in Europe (it means more valuable shot for him... sorry Wiebe!)!
Well, and that Girfalcon - it's a fascinating bird (especially the white form!)! Nice shots!
By no mean the other shots are less of value, there are actually even better shots (technical approach), they just didn't strike me that strong!
My contribution is rather poor: Cacatua (hybrid between the White crested and the Salmon Crested I suspect) from before the storm and just an African Silver-bill hiding as usually at this time (around noon, very hot day) in the mangrove above a swamp (yesterday). The Silver bill was already separated in pars with rare single birds - preparing for breeding! A dense group of ~ 10-15 birds.

Attachments

• DSC_0130_DxO-1.jpg
    DSC_0130_DxO-1.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0175_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0175_DxO.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0265_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0265_DxO.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0275_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0275_DxO.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful birds. Very nice pictures, ISv.

Thanks Click!
Cockatoos were 5-6 different species (I don't know, may be 30-50 birds in total, probably less) in that particular area before (no other areas with stable presence of these birds on the Island!). After that somebody decided they are too dangerous for the local biotope! There are different reasons given as a support of that hypotese (even the anecdotical one that they are actually kiling some endemic palms!). In fact they are really very noisy and this is the more probably the reason why they are not welcome... Now the population is significantly smaller and they interbreed washing out the differences in-between the species still present there... It's a sad story: there is a difference between controlling the population of unwanted species and totally killing that species!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
WOW! Pile of beutifull photos in the time I was hiding from the next tropical storm! No way to get a personal credit to every one - it would take to much space on the forum!
I would like to notice two things: Wiebe is right in his identification of the Grey Heron (immature). BTW I wish I was wrong: the Great Blue is much more rare (just vagrant!) in Europe (it means more valuable shot for him... sorry Wiebe!)!
Well, and that Girfalcon - it's a fascinating bird (especially the white form!)! Nice shots!
By no mean the other shots are less of value, there are actually even better shots (technical approach), they just didn't strike me that strong!
My contribution is rather poor: Cacatua (hybrid between the White crested and the Salmon Crested I suspect) from before the storm and just an African Silver-bill hiding as usually at this time (around noon, very hot day) in the mangrove above a swamp (yesterday). The Silver bill was already separated in pars with rare single birds - preparing for breeding! A dense group of ~ 10-15 birds.
What camera and lens were using for these nice shots? Unfortunately, CR removes the EXIF now.

Upvote 0

Nice shots ISv, especially the pair of silver-bills.

What camera and lens were using for these nice shots? Unfortunately, CR removes the EXIF now.

We're not allowed to divulge the camera brand and type ISv uses on the canon forum:p; but i assume the lens used is a 200-500mm f/5.6 zoom from a good pedigree :D
W.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

D7200 & 200-500. Both are indeed slow for BIF. I have just two attempts for BIF, attached are few photos from the second oneDSC_5422_DxO.jpgDSC_5426_DxO.jpgDSC_5530_DxO.jpg.
BTW, good luck taking pictures of Estreldids in fly, most of them (all, here on the islands, inkl. the Silver bill) are 2/3 the size of House sparrow with rather unsteady pattern of fly! I agree, faster combo may help somewhat but I don't think it will make huge difference for this type of birds. Anyway, I have plans for faster camera but it's not priority right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nice shots ISv, especially the pair of silver-bills.

We're not allowed to divulge the camera brand and type ISv uses on the canon forum:p; but i assume the lens used is a 200-500mm f/5.6 zoom from a good pedigree :D
W.

Thanks Wiebe! Hey, it seems you have a spy-camera in my backpack;)!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
D7200 & 200-500. Both are indeed slow for BIF. I have just two attempts for BIF, attached are few photos from the second oneView attachment 180505View attachment 180506View attachment 180507.
BTW, good luck taking pictures of Estreldids in fly, most of them (all, here on the islands, inkl. the Silver bill) are 2/3 the size of House sparrow with rather unsteady pattern of fly! I agree, faster combo may help somewhat but I don't think it will make huge difference for this type of birds. Anyway, I have plans for faster camera but it's not priority right now.
Thanks for the info. It's not mandatory to use Canon gear and it is important to learn first hand what other equipment can do. Some Nikon fanboys claim that the 200-500mm is fast enough but when they start rating the new 500mm f/4 or the old 80-400mm against it the truth comes out.

Upvote 0
Thanks Wiebe! Hey, it seems you have a spy-camera in my backpack;)!

... at times I would like to hide in your backpack myself ;) - see some of Hawai's natural beauty - but no, the information was derived from the EXIF of one of your earlier pictures (before CR decided to strip EXIF). I'm always curious to see how / at what settings the best pictures are taken - in order to learn and improve my own work.
W.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for the info. It's not mandatory to use Canon gear and it is important to learn first hand what other equipment can do. Some Nikon fanboys claim that the 200-500mm is fast enough but when they start rating the new 500mm f/4 or the old 80-400mm against it the truth comes out.

Hmm... If somebody says "fast enough" they probably mean "fast enough", and they do not mean better than lenses with rather different price tag (and targeting different kind of public, especially 500/f4). Also, those who shoot with some of the most recent cameras say it's faster (something that I'm going to check personally when I have a time). It is big, heavy lens, without enough weather protection and... well, it is black:)!

Upvote 0