Breaking down the latest Canon gear to appear for certification

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
At what point does a phone become a better tool than a crop sensor SLR? I'd take the just released iPhone over a 7D2. More useful. If you want to use a small sensor, you may as well use a small sensor with a load of advantages.
Don't forget to put a 500 or 600mm in front of your iphone to shoot birds!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I'm thinking that there won't be a 7d mark iii.

Mirrorless is obviously where canon is heading with its lens development, except for the big primes. And if one can afford a big prime, I think canon might be happy with them also having to buy a 1dx-class ef-mount body. How many people really need 10fps, and who don't have the money for a 1dx mark II? Many in the fps crowd also have a 500, 600 or 200-400mm lens.

At the moment the 7dii makes a lot of sense with the 100-400, but how much money is canon going to make from that segment in the next 5 years? My hunch is that a lot of people in that segment also use their camera for other photography, and might like to put their cash towards a mirrorless camera to take advantage of the new lenses, too.

APSC users are very price conscious, even 7D users. Those RF lenses are very expensive. As a 7D user I feel Canon does not have an upgrade path for me... yet!
But it wouldn't take 'much' 24-26MP FF 5FPS, 8-10fps in 1.6 crop mode using my existing EF glass. When I say 'much' I mean shift in the spec sheets not the actual technical reality behind it! :)

Upvote 0
At what point does a phone become a better tool than a crop sensor SLR? I'd take the just released iPhone over a 7D2. More useful. If you want to use a small sensor, you may as well use a small sensor with a load of advantages.

Troll. Time for you to head over to an iPhone forum to check out the two new exciting releases.

(My M5 takes nice images with an EF Zeiss 25 f/2 on the adapter. Manual focus (gasp) is great on mirrorless. 11-22 is great. Sold my pile of EF stuff earlier this year.)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Question: Whilst I can't argue with those thoughts (don't know enough about it) would Canon be able to compensate for that lack of tech by throwing a stack of grunt into the camera? Even if they have to do a you get those extra fps's only with a battery pack which I wouldn't be averse too.

That's exactly what they did with their high-end video cameras. Of course, at that price point you can afford to put in very expensive sensors that they don't yet have the capability of mass producing at high volumes.

The technology will make its way down, Canon will get IBIS and 1.0x 4K/60 etc in a future body, I'll be pleasantly surprised if that body comes out next year, but I think 2020 is more likely.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
The question why does ANYONE want to use crop sensor cameras in 2018? Is it the lower IQ or sacrificed DOF ability that they love so much?

The question is why does ANYONE want to use a FF sensor in 2018. Crop sensors have become so good that there is virtually no difference in IQ when I print up to 8" x 12". And I can't get shots with FF that have enough DOF when shooting flowers and similar close up work. :):eek:

Of course, I understand the advantages of FF, and am interested in the new R system, but the advantages of crop are many including greater reach, greater DOF, smaller size and weight (very important) and perhaps most important...COST.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
The question why does ANYONE want to use crop sensor cameras in 2018? Is it the lower IQ or sacrificed DOF ability that they love so much?

very simple. Me: EOS M + EF-M for size/weight and price/value.
Also got a 5D3 mirrorslapper and EF L glass, regret ever having purchased it. Too big, too fat, too heavy, too conspicuous ["cameras are not allowed here!"], way too expensive, way too noisy (classical music concerts/church etc.) , and "way too expensive" to risk damage on URBEX excursions or city trips.

EOS M has close to 50k shutter actuations. 5D3 has less than 5000. Any questions?

Upvote 0
very simple. Me: EOS M + EF-M for size/weight and price/value.
Also got a 5D3 mirrorslapper and EF L glass, regret ever having purchased it. Too big, too fat, too heavy, too conspicuous ["cameras are not allowed here!"], way too expensive, way too noisy (classical music concerts/church etc.) , and "way too expensive" to risk damage on URBEX excursions or city trips.

EOS M has close to 50k shutter actuations. 5D3 has less than 5000. Any questions?

I don't think people realize how small the EOS-M cameras are until they actually hold them. I preordered that new lens and if they announce a few more fast lenses, I'll be ready to let go of my L glass. The only real downside is the lack of Canon's excellent weather-sealing on those cameras, but that's probably more specific to what I do than most.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
The question is why does ANYONE want to use a FF sensor in 2018. Crop sensors have become so good that there is virtually no difference in IQ when I print up to 8" x 12". And I can't get shots with FF that have enough DOF when shooting flowers and similar close up work. :):eek:

Of course, I understand the advantages of FF, and am interested in the new R system, but the advantages of crop are many including greater reach, greater DOF, smaller size and weight (very important) and perhaps most important...COST.

Because there are people who print much larger than that small size.

I just don’t get why people think that’s what good for them is good for everyone else.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Because there are people who print much larger than that small size.

I just don’t get why people think that’s what good for them is good for everyone else.

Perhaps you missed the smiley faces and the fact that I said, "Of course, I understand the advantages of FF, and am interested in the new R system."

I sometimes think people ignore what people actually say in their posts just so they can be argumentative.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Something I just considered while reading through this post--it wasn't long ago that the Canon sports cameras were all 1.3x crop. What if the future mirrorless 7D is a 1.3x crop sports camera, with 1.6x digital crop mode as well? That would definitely be a bridge between 1.6x EF-M mirrorless and full-frame RF mirrorless.

My own disclaimer is, I never really particularly got the appeal of a 1.3x sensor, but it was obviously part of the business model for a while.

All that said, my biggest focus right now is on a pro EOS-R. I would love to have my long glass on my 1DX Mark II and have the 28-70mm f/2L on a dual-slot CFast /SD 7-10 FPS(with tracking) EOS-R. All of my photos end up at 2 mp by the time they make it into the newspaper's filing system, so the only real spec that matters to me is getting the photo in the first place, between FPS, autofocus, battery and weathersealing. At a bare minimum, I need the FPS with tracking to beat my 5DIII before I could make that plunge.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Something I just considered while reading through this post--it wasn't long ago that the Canon sports cameras were all 1.3x crop. What if the future mirrorless 7D is a 1.3x crop sports camera, with 1.6x digital crop mode as well? That would definitely be a bridge between 1.6x EF-M mirrorless and full-frame RF mirrorless.

My own disclaimer is, I never really particularly got the appeal of a 1.3x sensor, but it was obviously part of the business model for a while.

All that said, my biggest focus right now is on a pro EOS-R. I would love to have my long glass on my 1DX Mark II and have the 28-70mm f/2L on a dual-slot CFast /SD 7-10 FPS(with tracking) EOS-R. All of my photos end up at 2 mp by the time they make it into the newspaper's filing system, so the only real spec that matters to me is getting the photo in the first place, between FPS, autofocus, battery and weathersealing. At a bare minimum, I need the FPS with tracking to beat my 5DIII before I could make that plunge.

The 1.3 crop APS-H offered no advantages as far as I could tell other than a stop gap on the way to the first FF bodies - all lenses are EF so designed for FF sensors so there is no saving on APS-H specific lenses. Pixel density on the 7D2 and the 5DSR is the same and it is that that determines 'reach' (god, how I hate that word in this context) so beloved of wildlifers not sensor size.
It won't come back because there is no reason for it to exist.

Upvote 0
The 1.3 crop APS-H offered no advantages as far as I could tell other than a stop gap on the way to the first FF bodies - all lenses are EF so designed for FF sensors so there is no saving on APS-H specific lenses. Pixel density on the 7D2 and the 5DSR is the same and it is that that determines 'reach' (god, how I hate that word in this context) so beloved of wildlifers not sensor size.
It won't come back because there is no reason for it to exist.

I could say that about the APS-C sensor. It has no reason to exist in my world. It's a weird non-industry standard 1.6x crop. Could have at least been 1.5x. Give me the best all-round sensor in the APS-H size any day thank you. Worst mistake Canon made was removing it as a 1 series sensor. 1DX are far too low in pixel density. By now we could have had a 1DVI with 24-28MP APS-H sensor which I'd take in a heartbeat over a 1DXII or the 7DII. It might not matter if they had of released a 1 series FF with decent pixel count, but 20MP is crap.

Upvote 0