Deal: Refurbished Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II $7999 (Reg $9999)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
really they sell lenses that expensive and only give one year of guarantee? That is not really transmitting confidence in the quality of your product. Glad that the EU has introduced a mandatory 2 year guarantee on all item sold in the EU

The 1 year warranty on the refurb is the same duration as a unit purchased retail. It used to be 90 days years ago.

The EU may have a 2 year warranty, but it's also padded into the price, which is higher than the US. A short warranty makes sense because it covers the burn-in period where there are more failures. A mandatory longer manufacturer warranty is a enforced extended warranty, and companies don't offer extended warranties to lose money.

Personally, I've never had anything Canon fail within a 2 year window. I've had many Canon lenses and bodies and the only things I've had to have done were to replace a 5DIII board due to an reported camera error and some rubber pieces (on the 5DIII and on a 24-70 II). The 5DIII board failure happened in year 3, plus I bought it gray, so I've come out way ahead. Warranties also don't cover user-induced damage/failure, so it's scope is limited.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 1 year warranty on the refurb is the same duration as a unit purchased retail. It used to be 90 days years ago.

The EU may have a 2 year warranty, but it's also padded into the price, which is higher than the US. A short warranty makes sense because it covers the burn-in period where there are more failures. A mandatory longer manufacturer warranty is a enforced extended warranty, and companies don't offer extended warranties to lose money.

Personally, I've never had anything Canon fail within a 2 year window. I've had many Canon lenses and bodies and the only things I've had to have done were to replace a 5DIII board due to an reported camera error and some rubber pieces (on the 5DIII and on a 24-70 II). The 5DIII board failure happened in year 3, plus I bought it gray, so I've come out way ahead. Warranties also don't cover user-induced damage/failure, so it's scope is limited.
And yet Tamron has 6 years guarantee in the USA and 5 years i Europe... Dont tell me that the G2 series
lenses are that much cheaper while technically not substantially worse than the canon lenses.. You argument does not add up..

Upvote 0
And yet Tamron has 6 years guarantee in the USA and 5 years i Europe... Dont tell me that the G2 series
lenses are that much cheaper while technically not substantially worse than the canon lenses.. You argument does not add up..

Either they are cheaper or the profit Tamron makes is a lot less. Tamron knows that it can not compete against Canon if they charge the same price as Canon -- otherwise they would. Unless of course you think that Tamron doesn't know how to market and price their products properly. Longer warranties cost companies more -- period. How can you argue otherwise?

Upvote 0