Is a native EF mount coming to a Canon full frame mirrorless camera? [CR1]

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just imagine being Canon trying to satisfy every Tom, Dick and Harry! While I believe they could do better, often the requested features require trade offs. We know there are trade offs but we want our camera to satisfy our perceived needs. 20 MPs did not thrill me but I accepted it as a trade-off against speed and video and I could be happy or whining. Now why would I choose to grumble when I'm using a fantastic camera and getting good performance consistently. And, why should I try to interfere with someone's right to be unhappy. For those who choose to be constantly agitated, may you enjoy your agitation to the utmost. :)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Canon "screwed" their existing customers by adding functionality with the drop in filter adapter and the "control ring" adapter. They are doomed!

That's right. Now someone else can do what I can't unless I drop a filter into the back of my lens. How immoral of Canon to allow some well heeled person to gain an advantage on me by buying an R!:mad: It's not fair!!

Jack

Upvote 0
Canon "screwed" their existing customers by adding functionality with the drop in filter adapter and the "control ring" adapter. They are doomed!

Wait, are you telling us that now EF lenses have more functionality with the release of the R?

This is not what I have been reading elsewhere on this forum. Are you trying to miss lead us?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Wait, are you telling us that now EF lenses have more functionality with the release of the R?

This is not what I have been reading elsewhere on this forum. Are you trying to miss lead us?

No, EF lenses don’t have more functionality.

A rig consisting of an EF lens mounted to a camera body using particular adapters has additional functionality over the a rig consisting of the same EF lens mounted to the same camera body using a “vanilla” adapter (i.e. mount converter).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

What I am saying is that Canon deliberately added functionality with the R mount.

With native R mount lenses, you have a control ring that can be programmed. EF mount cameras do not have this ring.

When you use a EF mount lens on an R mount camera, you can use all the previous functionality of that lens, PLUS, you can use the adapter with the drop in filter OR the adapter with the control ring to get extra functionality out of your camera/lens combo than you could before on a mirrored Canon..... PLUS, you can also use EF-S lenses in a crop mode.

In essence, you can take an R camera, mount an EF lens on the adapter, and have new features that you did not have before when using that EF lens on a Canon camera

Upvote 0
No, EF lenses don’t have more functionality.

A rig consisting of an EF lens mounted to a camera body using particular adapters has additional functionality over the a rig consisting of the same EF lens mounted to the same camera body using a “vanilla” adapter (i.e. mount converter).

Any given lens can now mount to an R mirror-less body with the use of an adapter. Can they not perform that function?
That is something it couldn't do a few months ago.
But there is more, now I can put a CPL or ND filter behind the lens by using one of these adapters, and I can adjust the aperture with the hand holding the lens body.
It seems to me that my old obsolete EF lenses can now be more useful.
Nothing has changed though when I put it on my old obsolete DSLR's.

Upvote 0
What I am saying is that Canon deliberately added functionality with the R mount.

With native R mount lenses, you have a control ring that can be programmed. EF mount cameras do not have this ring.

When you use a EF mount lens on an R mount camera, you can use all the previous functionality of that lens, PLUS, you can use the adapter with the drop in filter OR the adapter with the control ring to get extra functionality out of your camera/lens combo than you could before on a mirrored Canon..... PLUS, you can also use EF-S lenses in a crop mode.

In essence, you can take an R camera, mount an EF lens on the adapter, and have new features that you did not have before when using that EF lens on a Canon camera

:)

Maybe it isn't as bad as some would have us believe.

Upvote 0
Presumably it has to do with the adapter and the body. Your question was scoped to the lens. EF lenses don’t gain functionality. The adapter enables body functionality.

I am sure we could debate semantics. Is the adapter part of the lens body? Part of the camera? Or a third component all together?
Since it emulates a function the RF lenses have on their bodies, I would say it is an extension of the EF lens body.

But since it is 5:00 somewhere, I think I will head home for work and leave it with your explanation. :)

Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I agree! What a wonderful concept...
I am so close to going with the GFX from my 6D and 20 year old Canon glass.

Waiting for Canon to give us a FF MILC has driven me crazy but my Leica Q has ruined me for mirrored cameras & it stopped me from buying the 5D-IV -- I want an EVF that is truly WYSIWYG. But I want the best image quality paired with a photographer's UI, not layers of menus.

The GFX provides all the pro features such as amazing image quality, dual cards, weatherproofing, real EVF, tilt LCD, both MF & 35mm modes, all with a photographer's user interface.

So I'm waiting for Canon's announcement. If the FF is for the pro (let's say a 5D-IV level), I stay Canon.
If the announcement is short on pro features, I shall order the GFX, Canon EF adapter, Fuji 110 f/2, and Fuji mid range zoom.

Did you end up getting the GFX and adapter along with those lenses? If so, what are your thoughts?

Upvote 0